Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Month of Marty

Re: Month of Marty

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    I think the issue was swinging away on a 3-0 count up 12 runs. That'd probably get somebody drilled even today.
    Sorry, but that's a dumb "unwritten rule".
    Why should the hitter go easy on the pitcher just because of the score?
    If the Reds were up 20-0 on Lasorda's dodgers, and Eric Davis swung at a 3-0 pitch and hit a HR, would Marty complain? I doubt it. Marty is being a sore loser, as always.

But thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano View Post
    he's right. mahle is horrible. i will miss broadcasters who have the guts to say it.
    Other announcers will say it in a more diplomatic way.
    Welch and Brantley will criticize pitchers, but they will break things down and tell you what he is struggling with.
    Don't worry, we will probably still have Thom to "tell it like it is".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

Chip R (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    After reading through this thread, gathering the data, it confirms my hypothesis that not everybody liked or agreed with Marty.

There will be a void for the vast majority. For the remainder? Well, fortunately, you won't have Marty Brennaman to kick around anymore. Unless you like to throw things at the TV every time a Laura Lean commercial comes on.
    Unfortunately, those who hate Marty here feel the need to remind us of it on a daily basis. We can't even have one thread celebrating his career without the hate permeating it, even though it's difficult to get through any thread here without some Brennaman bashing. I was hesitant to even open this thread because I knew what it was going to turn into, only took reading a couple of pages to confirm it.

Best of luck Marty in your retirement, and thank you for all the fond memories of listening to the reds on the radio with my Dad as a child.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-27-2019),Danny Serafini (09-27-2019),Dat dude BP (09-27-2019),goreds2 (09-27-2019),Old school 1983 (09-27-2019),Rantly (09-27-2019),reds77 (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Don't worry, we will probably still have Thom to "tell it like it is".
    Unfortunately you are right. I saw on Twitter last night that the whole TV crew are coming back in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

REDREAD (09-27-2019)

The one overriding thought I have had during the "Month of Marty" has been:

I miss Joe Nuxhall.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

919191 (09-28-2019),Boss-Hog (09-27-2019),Chip R (09-27-2019),cumberlandreds (09-27-2019),goreds2 (09-27-2019),REDREAD (09-27-2019),reds77 (09-27-2019),Redsfaithful (09-27-2019),redsfanmia (09-27-2019),Ron Madden (09-27-2019),Sabo Fan (09-28-2019),WrongVerb (09-27-2019)

https://theathletic.com/1246978/2019...ce-of-my-hide/

I wrote a pretty vicious column attacking Cincinnati. I don’t remember all of it, but I remember writing something to the effect of: “Cincinnati is where professional baseball began. Professional baseball died here last night.”

I cringe thinking about it, but, hey, we all have to be young, and we all have to make our mistakes.

Anyway, I came to the park the next day and I was radioactive. Even people who agreed with me* kind of stayed away from me. I would soon find out why.

I was in the press box cafeteria when a blur of person came rushing at me. That person was, as you have guessed, Marty Brennaman. And he was mad. I mean he was really mad. I have only seen a handful of people in my life who were as mad as Marty. His pleasant radio voice skyrocketed about three octaves as he began to yell at me, and he continued to yell at me, and he yelled at me some more, and I don’t remember almost any of it because it was so frightening and so overwhelming, but I do remember how he ended. He said, “I’m going to take a piece of your hide on the broadcast tonight.”

And from what I understand — I never heard it, and I never would — he took a piece of my hide on the broadcast that night. I have not seen that piece of hide since. I have also not heard anyone use that expression “piece of hide” since. But once is enough.

That’s Marty though, passionate, loyal, dynamic, and fearless. I deserved whatever he said that night. The season ended only a few days later. I didn’t see him in those days, probably because I made sure not to see him. But I will always remember the next spring, he came down to Plant City, where the Reds trained for a few years (and where the annual Strawberry Festival was held). I was on the field when I saw that blur again. It was Marty.

“Poz,” he said, and he put his hand on my shoulder, “let’s get something to eat.”

And we went to get something to eat, and he told some stories, and we laughed a lot, and not one word was said about the piece-of-hide day. And through numerous meals through the years and a whole lot of laughter, he never brought it up again.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-27-2019),Redsfaithful (09-27-2019)

I'm surprised this thread has people quite loyal to their convictions that Marty is a bad guy or bad at his profession. I wonder who the anti-Marty people enjoy listening to?

Anyhow, I'm in my 40s and love baseball. I associate Marty (& Joe) with child memories of taking a drive with my dad to grab an after dinner ice cream or my parents taking me to every flea market in the greater Cincinnati area so I could look for baseball cards to add to my collection. It was always the same, get in the car and turn on 700 WLW to listen to Marty and Joe. Both gentlemen had their own unique approach to announcing that I appreciated. To borrow from a cliché, so I don't have to type out my full thoughts, too many announcers are cookie cutter. Marty had an authentic approach and I'll miss it.

14. Likes:

jimbo (09-27-2019),westofyou (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I'm surprised this thread has people quite loyal to their convictions that Marty is a bad guy or bad at his profession. I wonder who the anti-Marty people enjoy listening to?

Anyhow, I'm in my 40s and love baseball. I associate Marty (& Joe) with child memories of taking a drive with my dad to grab an after dinner ice cream or my parents taking me to every flea market in the greater Cincinnati area so I could look for baseball cards to add to my collection. It was always the same, get in the car and turn on 700 WLW to listen to Marty and Joe. Both gentlemen had their own unique approach to announcing that I appreciated. To borrow from a cliché, so I don't have to type out my full thoughts, too many announcers are cookie cutter. Marty had an authentic approach and I'll miss it.
    Marty has rubbed me the wrong way, just like changes in the game, or old friends have at times. I don't have the energy to muster anger over anything that baseball gives me, because I love the game more than I love any other game. That's enough for me, maybe not others but that's their business. Sometimes it's better to let the water run off your back and move on.

16. Likes:

reds77 (09-27-2019),Redsfaithful (09-27-2019),Roy Tucker (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I wonder who the anti-Marty people enjoy listening to?
    After 11 years of listening to Marty and Joe, I moved to SW California for several years and had the pleasure of listening to Vin Scully. I never took to the Dodgers, but I could listen to Scully describe watching paint dry. There may have been better broadcasters than Scully, but I never heard them. Of course Scully only did it for 67 years.

I've been critical of Marty for a long time so there is no reason to dredge that up in a thread celebrating his accomplishments. I was wrong when I thought he would never replace Al Michaels in my heart. He did that.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-27-2019),Roy Tucker (09-27-2019),westofyou (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    After 11 years of listening to Marty and Joe, I moved to SW California for several years and had the pleasure of listening to Vin Scully. I never took to the Dodgers, but I could listen to Scully describe watching paint dry. There may have been better broadcasters than Scully, but I never heard them. Of course Scully only did it for 67 years.

I've been critical of Marty for a long time so there is no reason to dredge that up in a thread celebrating his accomplishments. I was wrong when I thought he would never replace Al Michaels in my heart. He did that.
    Scully, Bill King, Greenwald, Miller, Niehouse all loved by their fan bases, all good announcers too. Marty announced in a golden era where numerous teams had great radio teams, we are lucky that we got to partake in that.

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-27-2019),reds77 (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Unfortunately you are right. I saw on Twitter last night that the whole TV crew are coming back in 2020.
    Go Gators!

Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister

#Reds announce
    2021 Reds Hall of Fame Induction Celebration has been rescheduled for Friday, August 27 at GABP. Marty Brennaman will be honored as the sole inductee of the 2021 Hall of Fame Class.

The event will include the on-field Induction Ceremony and #Reds Alumni Softball Game, which is expected to feature over 40 Reds Hall of Famers and former Reds on the field at Great American Ball Park.

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-04-2021),CySeymour (05-04-2021),goreds2 (05-03-2021)

I was curious how much tickets were.. I clicked on the link provided by mlb.com and this is what I got (attached)
    $275-350 to see Marty get inducted, and then I think a softball game by former Reds. There may be one more activity too.
    Is it just me, or is this kind of insane pricing?
    I wonder if anyone other than Thom and Marty's wife are going to show up?

Name:  marty.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  127.7 KB

You would have to pay me $275 to go to that event. And not because of any dislike for Marty or whatever, that just sounds excruciating.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

Chip R (05-05-2021),REDREAD (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You would have to pay me $275 to go to that event. And not because of any dislike for Marty or whatever, that just sounds excruciating.
    yea, if it was up to me, I'd have it after a day game. Have Marty walk on to the field, get cheered. Have Castellini talk for about 3 minutes, give Marty his plaque and be done with it. Not sure why anyone would want to hear platitudes about Marty for an extended period of time.

They used to televise the old timer's games. I was never a fan. Kind of sad to see former athletes old and overweight.
    I mean, a few guys still seemed ok, but not exactly a fun thing to watch. Point is, an old timer's softball game does not seem particularly appealing.. Now if it was $20 and I was looking for something to do that night and wanted live entertainment? Maybe. It's something to do to get out of the house.

28. Likes:

Chip R (05-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?