Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Month of Marty

Re: Month of Marty

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Marty's "popularity" problem, IMO, was primarily with the younger generation (analytics). He was traditional old school. Not like those two haven't clashed before. Brennaman isn't the only sports broadcaster this younger generation would have had issues with. And if many of the ghosts of all-time greats could speak up about today's game (approach), they'd probably not be too popular with the analytics crowd either (LOL).

Thanks for the memories Marty. Yes, you will be missed.
    I know most tye Reds internet enclaves would disagree, but I think this has more to do with the perception of late career Marty than anything else. The moneyball era swept everyone up into a pretty dopey internet crusade, and Marty and many like him were on the wrong side of it. Marty’s had his moments over the years, but this idea of him ranting and grumbling all game long is so terribly exaggerated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    I know most tye Reds internet enclaves would disagree, but I think this has more to do with the perception of late career Marty than anything else. The moneyball era swept everyone up into a pretty dopey internet crusade, and Marty and many like him were on the wrong side of it. Marty’s had his moments over the years, but this idea of him ranting and grumbling all game long is so terribly exaggerated.
    I first saw someone else on here say this, but I agree: the biggest issue with Marty was that he at times seemed to forget that the other team is trying to win, too. Every failure by the Reds was because they screwed up, not that the other team was just better. I agree that internet groupthink did a lot to sully his reputation. I wonder how many of his detractors even listened to him on a regular basis. Every game is on TV now.

4. Likes:

gagliano (09-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    Every failure by the Reds was because they screwed up, not that the other team was just better.
    It goes beyond that IMO. The reason they screwed up so much is because they were poorly constructed teams, and very hard to watch (LOL). Marty simply was pointing that out. If there was one thing that Marty didn't do - and it also got him in trouble at times - was make excuses, or defend, the play of bad Red's teams or question this front office (while on the air).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm going to the final home game Thursday afternoon, they will be giving away transistor radios
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-23-2019 at 10:47 AM.

7. Likes:

Always Red (09-25-2019),Chip R (09-24-2019),goreds2 (09-24-2019)

Is anyone able to grab an extra radio Thursday? I'm unable to attend the game but I'd love a radio if possible

Haunted by walks

Much of the aggravation with Marty was because of his treatment of Votto, and the sway that held with a large segment of fans. To be fair, Marty was hardest on Votto when he was off to one of his ugly starts. Marty slowly dropped his attacks as Votto returned to form, but the theme was set.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Much of the aggravation with Marty was because of his treatment of Votto, and the sway that held with a large segment of fans. To be fair, Marty was hardest on Votto when he was off to one of his ugly starts. Marty slowly dropped his attacks as Votto returned to form, but the theme was set.
    Nah, he was worse to Dunn.

Marty doesn't like smashball baseball, the action lulls, the, game is full of analytical types who have as much an ego as he does. Problem is Marty tends to think he's right all the time, which is cool, but will cause some friction from listeners.

But when a man complains about extra inning games, the lack of the bunt, calls others "Genius" (LaRussa, Bob Boone, Billy Beane ) in a derogatory manner and spends game time talking about anything but baseball then it will cause a little more friction after years and years of that.

He will be missed, but it is time
    Last edited by westofyou; 09-23-2019 at 12:33 PM.

11. Likes:

Always Red (09-25-2019),Chip R (09-24-2019),dfs (09-23-2019),GAC (09-25-2019),Ron Madden (09-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Marty was pretty hard on Adam Dunn as well as Votto.

Our pitching has historically sucked but Marty seemed to lay blame on the best offensive players instead.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2019)

Marty also wasn't a fan of JR and had problems with Larkin.
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (09-26-2019),Ron Madden (09-23-2019)

C. Trent just tweeted that Thursady game will be on MLB Network with Marty's radio broadcast. So set those DVR's!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

goreds2 (09-24-2019)

I'm preparing myself for a lot of tears this week and they started after watching Matt Vasgersian's tribute on MLB Network and then Marty's press conference. I know life will go on, but having been born in the 80s, I have no idea what Reds games and big moments are like without Marty's voice and I'm not ready for it.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

19. Likes:

gagliano (09-26-2019),goreds2 (09-24-2019),Kinsm (09-25-2019),Old school 1983 (09-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm preparing myself for a lot of tears this week and they started after watching Matt Vasgersian's tribute on MLB Network and then Marty's press conference. I know life will go on, but having been born in the 80s, I have no idea what Reds games and big moments are like without Marty's voice and I'm not ready for it.
    I'm the same. As a 34 year old, Marty is all I know. All I know is going to ballgames and hurrying back to the car in order to hear the Frischs Big Boy big play of the game and being sad if it came in the 3rd, 4th or 7th innings. All I know is not turning my radio off through so many years through my teens and early to mid 20s until I heard "this is Marty Brennaman saying so long, everyone!" We certainly haven't had many big moments in the 20 years I've been a Reds fan, but the ones we've had have been narrated by Marty.

I know he's changed over the years. I know "it's time" for him to move on. But that doesn't change the fact one little bit that the next three days and Thursday in particular are going to be extremely emotional.

46 years comes down to 3 days.
    Last edited by redsfan30; 09-24-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

21. Likes:

gagliano (09-26-2019),goreds2 (09-24-2019),khunter2 (09-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I'm the same. As a 34 year old, Marty is all I know. All I know is going to ballgames and hurrying back to the car in order to hear the Frischs Big Boy big play of the game and being sad if it came in the 3rd, 4th or 7th innings. All I know is not turning my radio off through so many years through my teens and early to mid 20s until I heard "this is Marty Brennaman saying so long, everyone!" We certainly haven't had many big moments in the 20 years I've been a Reds fan, but the ones we've had have been narrated by Marty.

I know he's changed over the years. I know "it's time" for him to move on. But that doesn't change the fact one little bit that the next three days and Thursday in particular are going to be extremely emotional.

46 years comes down to 3 days.
    Thanks for mentioning the sign-off line, that's a great one. My favorite little Martyism is when he's about to read the lineups at the beginning of the broadcast. "If you're ready now, the starting lineups..."
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

23. Likes:

goreds2 (09-24-2019)

I'm sad to see Marty go, because it's another part of my childhood lost. I listened to as many games as I could, and often from start to finish when I was growing up. And Marty was the best back then. I guess I'm also lucky in that I haven't really listened to a Reds broadcast on the radio in 20 years, so I generally missed Marty's decline years. That 1999 season was pretty much it for me. I listened to a lot of that season on a blurry 700 WLW signal in my car in Charlotte, NC. That's part of the reason that season was so special to me. But the next year I moved to Chapel Hill, NC, which was too far away for Reds broadcasts. And soon enough I had MLB.tv and could watch the games I used to listen to. And then the technology improved such that I could watch the games on my tablet or phone, so there was REALLY no reason to listen to the games on the radio.

So while it is still sad to know Marty won't be doing games anymore, he's really been gone for 20 years already for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Thanks for mentioning the sign-off line, that's a great one. My favorite little Martyism is when he's about to read the lineups at the beginning of the broadcast. "If you're ready now, the starting lineups..."
    Yep, I’ve always thought that the “if your ready now” line is for those scoring the game at home. When he started in the early 70’s, I imagine a lot of listeners actually did fill out a scorecard while listening to the games on the radio. I’ve always loved that he continued that line in this modern era when scoring a game is a lost art.

26. Likes:

757690 (09-24-2019),gagliano (09-26-2019)

Turn Off Ads?