Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weekly College Football Pick'em

Re: 2019 Weekly College Football Pick'em

I could kick myself for not picking UC yesterday. I should have done my research and seen that BC was without their coach, QB and best player

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I saw spreads that went anywhere from 1 to 3.5, UT favorite. As time went by bettors were betting on the Vols so the point spread increased
    Well my bet with my cousin(Knoxville) was Vols -2.5...I won a "case" of shine!

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Well my bet with my cousin(Knoxville) was Vols -2.5...I won a "case" of shine!
    Shine on!

I started instituting point spreads gradually a few years ago with a "Game Of the Week" to make it more interesting, give us all a "taste", because we played everything straight up and it was getting kind of stale. And most of us had a 600+ winning percentage too (LOL). Really wasn't that hard (competitive) to pick the winner of an OSU-Miami(OH) or Alabama-S.Mississippi game straight up.

We've always played the point spreads on the Bowl games though. But that got me to thinking. Why not use the point spread, in targeted games each week where it's a mismatch, sometimes a really bad one, to even things out as best we can, and make it more competitive, and fun?

And while I try to play games from all conferences each week - I'm always looking at match-ups - we primarily play the Power 5 ones. And there are a lot of mismatches in varying ways with cupcake games as well as the bottom-dwellers in each conference. While I use the point spread as a gauge, I'm not straining at a gnat here. If it's 7 points (TD) or greater I use it. Less then that means, to me, a pretty evenly matched contest that could go either way. So yeah, I didn't use it in the Vols-Hoosier game, but also not in the OSU-Clemson game. If we were playing for money it would be a different story - one that I wouldn't be playing in (LOL). But we don't. It's strictly for fun. I love FRIENDLY competition, and I think we all want to keep it that way.

But I always use the point spread in the NC game.

Now if you all want us to use the point spread on every game next year - cut our throats a little deeper - then let me know (LOL). That's fine by me, and no huge issue at all.

The state this thread has evolved to, has done so because of suggestions by those who participate. And yeah, I think we've made it better (and more fun).

That one lone person has still yet to respond back. So I will post the NC game on Monday. But it's not going to matter if he doesn't get the message and somehow posts his pick on here. It's not going to come close to having any effect on the standings whatsoever (trust me) LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-05-2020),cumberlandreds (01-04-2020)

I'm good with you selectively posting point spreads. I don't think we need to do point spreads on all the games in a "friendly" competition.

After yesterday's thrilling Tater Bowl, Krono is back in the lead all by himself with 23 wins. Myself and Sea Ray are next at 22 wins. Assembly Hall is next at 21.

One game today. Go Tulane! By more than 7.5 that is............

Here are the rest:

GAC 20

VottoFan54 19

Serafini 18

Puffy 17
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Now that I'm mathematically eliminated I guess I don't even need a title game pick

Back to a three way tie after Tulane won by 17 today. AH is the only one to pick Louisiana to cover the spread on the next game, which is Monday night. If Louisiana wins and covers their spread it will be a four way tie going into the championship game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Southern Miss was looking like a good pick till their QB got hurt and had to leave the game. That kinda screws things up...

I got .... Assembly, GAC (2-0), cumberland, Krono, Puffy (1-1), Danny, SeaRay, VottoFan (0-2)

Impressed with myself. Was bottom last, and fought back to to where I am still mathematically in this thing. LOL

Code:
    2019-20 COLLEGE FOOTBALL BOWL STANDINGS (updated 2 games 1/3 thru 1/4)

W        L              

KronoRed                 23       16             .589

cumberlandreds           23       16             

Sea Ray                  22       17             .564    

Assembly Hall            22       17             

GAC                      21       18             .538             

VottoFan54               19       20             .487                           

Danny Serafini           18       21             .461

Puffy                    17       22             .435
    Last edited by GAC; 01-05-2020 at 03:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I just enjoy playing. But I understand the point spread making it more interesting and difficult. I will go with whatever the majority wants. As far as the UT/IU game...I was going to pick the Hoosiers no matter the spread!

13. Likes:

GAC (01-07-2020)

Here's the final update prior to the NC game. I got .... cumblerland, Krono, SeaRay (1-0). And the rest 0-1.

Code:
    2019-20 COLLEGE FOOTBALL BOWL STANDINGS (updated 1 game 1/6)

W        L              

KronoRed                 24       16             .600

cumberlandreds           24       16             

Sea Ray                  23       17             .575    

Assembly Hall            22       18             .550             

GAC                      21       19             .525             

VottoFan54               19       21             .475                           

Danny Serafini           18       22             .450

Puffy                    17       23             .425
    Last edited by GAC; 01-07-2020 at 03:30 AM.

REMEMBER ... Do not post your pick on thread. PM to me and cumberland.

[that way any that may pick Clemson won't be publicly humiliated LOL]

Monday, Jan. 13 CFP National Championship

Clemson vs LSU (-5.5)

Also, just to be safe, and in case we need a tie-breaker, to the top three who are still in it ... Krono, cumberland, SeaRay ....

PM to ME only your TOTAL POINTS SCORED. It will be the closest to the score WITHOUT GOING OVER. And if all go over, then the closest to the score.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-07-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Krono, if you're out there (I sent you a PM the other day), you need to PM your pick + Total Points. I don't want it to go down as a loss, looking at the situation. C'mon Matt! You can do it (LOL)

CONGRATULATIONS to Krono who fought off some stiff competition towards the end, and won the tie-breaker vs cumberland. You win nothing but the admiration of your peers (LOL). I think we're getting better at this, and probably because we're becoming more experienced (at least some of us are) playing point spreads.

It, as usual, was fun. I enjoy doing it.

Code:
    2019-20 COLLEGE FOOTBALL BOWL FINAL STANDINGS 

W        L              

KronoRed                 25       16             .609     WON TIE-BREAKER (TOTAL POINTS) 62 ... cumberland (69)

cumberlandreds           25       16             

Sea Ray                  23       18             .560    

Assembly Hall            23       18                          

GAC                      22       19             .536             

VottoFan54               19       22             .463                           

Danny Serafini           18       23             .439

Puffy                    17       24             .414

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-14-2020),cumberlandreds (01-14-2020),Danny Serafini (01-14-2020),KronoRed (01-14-2020)

Thanks GAC for doing this again this year. It's always a lot of fun. Picking college football games has become an institution on RZ and all the credit is to you. If the Lord is willing and creek don't rise I hope we are all back here again in the fall making picks for the 2020 season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-14-2020),GAC (01-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?