Naylor LF
    Machado 3B
    Hosmer 1B
    Renfroe RF
    Mejia C
    Myers CF
    Urias SS
    Layer P
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-19-2019 at 05:12 PM.

2. Likes:

North (08-19-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Padres @ Reds 8-19-19

Using your only other catcher at 1B seems to be asking for trouble, Farmer has been good against LHP but I'd just as soon give JVM the start there.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Using your only other catcher at 1B seems to be asking for trouble, Farmer has been good against LHP but I'd just as soon give JVM the start there.
    Analytical Man will not be swayed.

what type of trouble? Just seeing if I am missing something, but if something happened to Tucker, then Farmer could just move to catcher? Are you suggesting if they both were injured?

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    what type of trouble? Just seeing if I am missing something, but if something happened to Tucker, then Farmer could just move to catcher? Are you suggesting if they both were injured?
    Yes. It also locks you in to needing both of them to play all 9 innings.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

757690 (08-19-2019)

I was looking at Lauer's splits, and he has been significantly worse on the road. He has a 3.10 ERA @ Home and a 6.20 ERA on the road. Also since the All Star break his overall ERA is 6.56 compared to 4.04 before the break. Too bad we are down a couple left handed bats in the lineup, because he has got rocked by left handed batters this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Senzel CF
    Iglesias SS
    Suarez 3B
    Aquino RF
    Ervin LF
    Peraza 2B
    Farmer 1B
    Barnhart C
    Bauer P
    well, 2 years without missing a game and galvis has to sit for Bell. idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano View Post
    well, 2 years without missing a game and galvis has to sit for Bell. idiot!
    Maybe nobody told Bell that Freddy switch hits

Yes. It also locks you in to needing both of them to play all 9 innings.
    It doesn't. Barnhart could be subbed out in the 6th inning, Farmer slides to catcher, and JVM inserted to 1B after pinch-hitting vs a RHP

14. Likes:

Ironman92 (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    It doesn't. Barnhart could be subbed out in the 6th inning, Farmer slides to catcher, and JVM inserted to 1B after pinch-hitting vs a RHP
    Yeah but I meant in terms of having a backup available. If you do that and Farmer takes a shot and needs to leave, then what?

I think playing Farmer against a LHP makes sense in a vacuum but even if the odds are long of it happening I don't know that those 2, maybe 3 ABs for Farmer against Lauer is worth the risk of having Brian O'Grady catching or something like that.

Yeah but I meant in terms of having a backup available. If you do that and Farmer takes a shot and needs to leave, then what?

I think playing Farmer against a LHP makes sense in a vacuum but even if the odds are long of it happening I don't know that those 2, maybe 3 ABs for Farmer against Lauer is worth the risk of having Brian O'Grady catching or something like that.
    I get your larger point but they've played many innings this year without a true catcher available to use on the bench. It bit them in Chicago but that's the exception, not the rule.

It's not like Farmer's bat is so good you need to get it into the lineup anyways. I know he has some use as a versatile backup catcher/infielder with some pop, but I feel like some really overrate him (especially in the Reds broadcast team)...he isn't really having that good of a year at the plate. Thom's constant"x RBI's in only x AB's!" comments aside.

It probably all doesn't really matter, but Farmer goes .309/.356/.545 vs LHP this year, while JVM goes .154/.353/.231. If you're trying to win this game, I think it's a good move.

The Padres lineup has been added to the original post

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    It probably all doesn't really matter, but Farmer goes .309/.356/.545 vs LHP this year, while JVM goes .154/.353/.231. If you're trying to win this game, I think it's a good move.
    Didn't realize how much he was killing LH pitching this year...without looking his line against RH must be abismal.

Turn Off Ads?