Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to blow it up!

Time to blow it up!

Things are bad, let's face it. Offensively, we rely on guys that can't crack the. 270 mark. Our future spends more time on the D. L (Winker, Senzel, Greene, etc) than on the field. Our rotation has 2 quality and consistant arms. No closer. No relief corps. Line up changes by the hour. No hope from a gutted farm system. Time to blow it up

2. Likes:

gagliano (09-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to blow it up!

Nah
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (09-09-2019),Edd Roush (09-08-2019),Fil3232 (09-08-2019),Jim (09-13-2019),marcshoe (09-07-2019),NC Reds (09-08-2019),OhioRiverBarge (09-08-2019),redsfandan (09-08-2019),redsrule2500 (09-09-2019),Saven (09-08-2019),sjjones (09-11-2019),Tom Servo (09-07-2019),Wonderful Monds (09-08-2019)

Give me some enchiladas, baked beans and a sixer of warm Meister Brau and I’ll see what I can do.

7. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (09-09-2019),gagliano (09-11-2019),Revering4Blue (09-07-2019),WrongVerb (09-07-2019)

Contraction? I could see it.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

North (09-08-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That’s gonna be a no, from me dawg.

11. Likes:

Benihana (09-08-2019),klw (09-08-2019),sjjones (09-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Contraction? I could see it.
    Me too. Players would be in favor of it...the money in each slice of the decreasing pie goes up.

Pro sports player's unions are not traditional unions. They are guilds; the lesser the merrier.
    Last edited by North; 09-08-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Me too. Players would be in favor of it...the money in each slice of the decreasing pie goes up.

Pro sports player's unions are not traditional unions. They are guilds; the lesser the merrier.
    But owners don’t want contraction. They might move the franchise but they won’t contract them.

And to the opening post. They’re bad but a blow up isn’t necessary. They can make some cagey, risky moves and be ready by 2021.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-08-2019 at 07:29 AM.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-08-2019)

Two starting hitters and two good relievers and Reds are wild card contenders next year.

Also need some depth.

Concerned Winker and Senzel seem injury prone, although still early in their careers.

Deadline move for pitcher might be necessary too.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Things are bad, let's face it. Offensively, we rely on guys that can't crack the. 270 mark.
    270 wRC+ is a pretty high mark though

17. Likes:

RedlegJake (09-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

Interesting perspective. I always thought the union would want to protect 40 man roster spots. You may be right though since contraction would be something for the future that wouldn’t really hurt current members

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    But owners don’t want contraction. They might move the franchise but they won’t contract them.

And to the opening post. They’re bad but a blow up isn’t necessary. They can make some cagey, risky moves and be ready by 2021.
    Depends on how the math works. The cost of buying out a team would have to be less than the NPV of the increased share of shared revenues. Ultimately though I agree it would never happen. You’ll never sell me on expansion though. In the history of MLB ownership they’ve only expanded because outside forces pushed them to do so (challenges to the antitrust exemption (Continental league, Uebberoth era challenge from congress), litigation and the threat of litigation (king county/pilots, St Pete/voided giants sale), and damages (80s collusion)

Haunted by walks

As we enter the off-season, I wonder if we can get a handle on the accepted idea that the owners have a lot more money they could spend than they let on. Can we come up with an estimate of what players the owners could afford if they put all those chips in, the stash they never talk about?

20. Likes:

Chip R (09-09-2019),REDREAD (09-09-2019),Ron Madden (09-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    As we enter the off-season, I wonder if we can get a handle on the accepted idea that the owners have a lot more money they could spend than they let on. Can we come up with an estimate of what players the owners could afford if they put all those chips in, the stash they never talk about?
    We might. They are already meeting about the next CBA which is further in advance than they’ve ever met. The problem though is that ownership seems content with the status quo. Both sides need to be motivated by something. But to your point the wealth is so great that it would take extraordinary circumstances to make ownership afraid

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedseatHR View Post
    We might. They are already meeting about the next CBA which is further in advance than they’ve ever met. The problem though is that ownership seems content with the status quo. Both sides need to be motivated by something. But to your point the wealth is so great that it would take extraordinary circumstances to make ownership afraid
    Can we translate “they have the money if they’d spend it” into the Reds owners could easily afford Cole, Rendon, Grandal and Will Smith, or must we again settle for decent but modest ambitions, such as Gregorious as the high side, plus Puig and Roark if we wanted them back? I’d like to put that kind of specific pressure on the Reds owners.

I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Can we translate “they have the money if they’d spend it” into the Reds owners could easily afford Cole, Rendon, Grandal and Will Smith, or must we again settle for decent but modest ambitions, such as Gregorious as the high side, plus Puig and Roark if we wanted them back? I’d like to put that kind of specific pressure on the Reds owners.
    Not sure about that. With the Reds I feel like things could certainly be better as you have suggested. But they could also be much much worse.

Turn Off Ads?