34. You may not vote on this poll
  • +1 or better

13 38.24%
  • -1 or worse

19 55.88%
  • even

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chances Reds finish positive in Run Differential?

Chances Reds finish positive in Run Differential?

They are currently +5 in Runs for the year while being 10 games under .500. This seems like a statistical anomaly for sure. Do you think they'll finish the year with a positive differential?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chances Reds finish positive in Run Differential?

At this point what are the chances that anyone cares?

That "statistical anomaly" goes away real quick when you look at the Red's results versus 2 teams: Miami and San Diego. The Reds are 11-3 against those 2 teams. Miami and San Diego have a combined record of 118-170 - a .410 winning %. The Reds are a combined +37 against them - +30 against Miami and +7 against SD. The Reds are -33 against all other MLB teams.

All it means is the Reds were able to beat up on a couple of bad teams.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

Seems like the 31 1 loss games had something to with it other than beating 2 out of conference teams.

We are +4 going in to tonight!

Down to +2 now.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'll one-up this poll and ask what are the chances they finish ahead of the Pirates?

It's kind of interesting, when you sort all teams by run differential, there are five teams in the middle, that are kind of close to 0.. The Mets (+29), Reds (+2) , Phillies (-7), Brewers (-25), and Rangers (-38).
    Everyone else is either +70 or greater OR -62 or worse..
    Not many ".500-ish" teams based on run differential.
    Other than the 5 teams listed above, everyone else is either quite good or quite bad.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_.../group/overall
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If they finish positive, it's an amazing statistical anomaly. I think that it indicates the team is better than their record.

Runs, after all, are more granular in nature, and therefore are more likely to be relevant to determining success/failure than Wins.

Change my mind.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    If they finish positive, it's an amazing statistical anomaly. I think that it indicates the team is better than their record.

Runs, after all, are more granular in nature, and therefore are more likely to be relevant to determining success/failure than Wins.

Change my mind.
    So you're saying that you think the Reds (at +4) are a better team then the Brewers (at -25)? Even though the Brewers are 77-68 and the Reds are 67-79?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post

Change my mind.
    Not really. As someone else pointed out +30 of the Reds run differential came from the Marlins. They are negative against everyone else.
    The fact that teams are tanking is skewing some statistical analysis.
    I think the "run differential sniff test" assumes that there is relative parity among teams. The Marlins are a joke and has artificially inflated our run differential. If there's any "luck" factor involved, that's it, IMO.

Chances are...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-13-2019),Revering4Blue (09-12-2019)

I don't know that it matters but if we're gonna hold beating the Marlins against the Reds, shouldn't we consider how many runs every other team has scored vs. the Marlins?

Jump to +8

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-13-2019),REDREAD (09-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't know that it matters but if we're gonna hold beating the Marlins against the Reds, shouldn't we consider how many runs every other team has scored vs. the Marlins?
    If we do that it doesn’t make the Reds look as bad as possible, so no.

I prematurely voted over without looking at the remaining schedule. Reds have a pretty tough route the rest of the way so it's looking unlikely. But maybe they'll do it.

Turn Off Ads?