Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Texas League Championship Series

Texas League Championship Series

Why do I post this? Well, it is the right forum. There are three former Reds top prospects playing in it, and I got to go to game one. Our hometown Sod Poodles won in dramatic fashion scoring 7 runs in the bottom of the 8th. Josiah Gray (he goes by JoJo. I did not know that.) started for Tulsa, Jeter Downs was at SS. Trammell is the leadoff hitter for the Soddies (I kid you not, that is one of the team nicknames.) and plays CF.

5159 people attended last night. And it was loud until the top of the 8th when the Drillers tied the game at 6 with a three run blast. Gray pitched 6 innings, struck out 2. His FB was sitting at 93-95. His defense didn't help him, but it's hard to pitch in Amarillo. Altitude flattens the breaking stuff a bit. Anyway, Tulsa's 6 runs all came via the HR. 3 solo shots, one 3 run bomb that may not have landed yet.

Josiah Gray, for those that have not seen him, is... short. I mean really short. I'm a shade under 6 feet. I'd tower over him. We were right behind the visitor's dugout not far from the bullpen, so I saw him warming up before the game. He throws moderately hard, seems to have really good stamina. His FB maintained velocity and he had a decent pitch count, 90 through 6 innings. He gave up only 1 HR, but Amarillo did hit a lot of line drives.

Now to make Alabama crazy. Jeter Downs is a STUD. He's listed at 5'11", but he might be shorter than Jose Altuve. He'll ABSOLUTELY stick at SS, and has tremendous range, and a cannon for an arm. He made a diving play to his right, rolled over on his back and still threw the runner out at 1st. From his back. Think that play Iglesias almost made a few days ago except from further away, going away from 1B. He got cheers from my section. Also, dude can hit. He could be a Dodger as soon as next year at 2B, but probably 2021. He's only 21. Fun Fact, Jeter's older brother plays at the same level, AA for the Red Sox.

And now, Taylor Trammell. Maybe the best I have seen him play. He went 2-4, but IMO it was 2-5. He was credited with a sac in the 8th. I read it differently. Runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out, Trammell drops the head of the bat and lays down a perfect bunt. He was totally trying for a hit here and almost beat it out. He had two hard hit singles, scored from 1st on a single, stole a base and played very well in CF. He does have a LF's arm, to be sure, but last night you saw every tool he had used with skill. Also, Trammell is a very animated teammate. 1st out of the dugout to congratulate guys.

As for a non-former Red, the Sod Poodle's SP, Lake Bachar, was asked to bunt in the bottom of the 4th. He took a pitch that clipped his throwing hand. He stayed in, got the next pitch and laid down a very good bunt. Reliever came in for the 5th.

Justus Sheffield's brother plays for Tulsa as a RP. Torrens and Wong, the catchers for each team can flat out rake. Both are only 23. I'd have my eyes on both as acquisition targets.

31 year old Chris Parmelee with over 400 MLB games played is toiling in the Dodgers AA team after not playing last year. All for the love of the game.

And now, this:

Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

JaxRed (09-12-2019),malcontent (09-13-2019),North (09-14-2019),RedlegJake (09-11-2019),texasdave (09-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Texas League Championship Series

Enough to make any Reds fan crazy. We'll look back on this years from now and wonder why anyone defended our management in these trades.

Thanks for the report

Jeter Downs is having a night to remember in Game Two of the Texas Championship Series. Through five innings, Downs has gone 2 for 3 with a walk. He has scored 4 runs and driven home a pair. He has also homered twice. Taylor Trammell is not far behind. He has doubled, tripled, scored twice and driven 3 runs home.

6. Likes:

mace (09-12-2019)

Amarillo scored 8 runs in the first inning, and went on to lose by 9. That's hard to do.

Jeter Downs finished his career night. I can't imagine him ever having a better one. 4 hits in 5 at-bats to go along with a walk. 5 runs scored. 3 runs driven in. And 3 home runs.

8. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2019),TRF (09-12-2019)

I really wish I had gone last night.

10. Likes:

texasdave (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I really wish I had gone last night.
    What do you think of that ballpark? I watched Downs' third home run, and the left fielder was playing at the edge of the warning track. He didn't move a muscle when the ball was hit. That must be an awful short fence.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/tulsa...ns/c-310678692

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Amarillo scored 8 runs in the first inning, and went on to lose by 9. That's hard to do.

Jeter Downs finished his career night. I can't imagine him ever having a better one. 4 hits in 5 at-bats to go along with a walk. 5 runs scored. 3 runs driven in. And 3 home runs.
    If he was still in the Reds system this would be the talk of RZ this morning. This is depressing. Our front office screwed up more than I thought they did and that's saying something

13. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What do you think of that ballpark? I watched Downs' third home run, and the left fielder was playing at the edge of the warning track. He didn't move a muscle when the ball was hit. That must be an awful short fence.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/tulsa...ns/c-310678692
    Love the park. The LF wall is about 340' in the middle, 220 down the line, but it's also about 18 feet tall. CF has a notch in right center that triples love, and the LF wall is in front of a lawn and is only 5 feet tall. Sightlines are terrific, I've sat all over the park. Not a bad seat anywhere.

There is a bar past the LF fence called the 352 Bar, as that is the distance from homeplate. I've seen several balls clear the bar completely. Our altitude here is 3600 feet. I think that has a lot to do with it.

15. Likes:

texasdave (09-13-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

We desperately need better baseball people with their fingers on the button. This is pathetic.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

17. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2019)

Well sod it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If he was still in the Reds system this would be the talk of RZ this morning
    If he was still in the Reds system he would have been sitting at home last night. lol

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-16-2019),North (09-15-2019)

Trammell hit a game-winning slam in the 9th inning to lead Amarillo to the title. Jeter Downs hit a 2-run shot to put Tulsa ahead until the 9th.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-19-2019),mace (09-16-2019),Sea Ray (09-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?