Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should we be crying in our Beer?

Should we be crying in our Beer?

Seth Beer was a RZ favorite for a long time. I remember he slipped a bit in his last college season and fell to late in the first round, picked by Houston. Well Houston traded him to the Diamondbacks as part of the package for Greinke .. That does not prove anything, just an interesting tidbit.

So far , in two minor league seasons, Beer is .294 /388 /508 , this spans A to AA. https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=beer--000set

In constrast , the Reds had a higher pick and chose India, who has minor league career numbers of 254/369/410 http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2019/ALL

Now I realize, Beer is a 1b/LF, whereas India is a 3b .

But still, looks like the Astros out-scouted the Reds and a lot of other teams in 2018.. Thoughts?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should we be crying in our Beer?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Seth Beer was a RZ favorite for a long time. I remember he slipped a bit in his last college season and fell to late in the first round, picked by Houston. Well Houston traded him to the Diamondbacks as part of the package for Greinke .. That does not prove anything, just an interesting tidbit.

So far , in two minor league seasons, Beer is .294 /388 /508 , this spans A to AA. https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=beer--000set

In constrast , the Reds had a higher pick and chose India, who has minor league career numbers of 254/369/410 http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2019/ALL

But still, looks like the Astros out-scouted the Reds and a lot of other teams in 2018.. Thoughts?
    His double-a stats with the Diamondbacks look really bad. I always thought the Texas league with the Astros are was a big-time hitters league
    Crazy Reds Fan

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

I wanted Jared Kellenic who was selected immediately after the Reds took India. He reached AA this season at age 19.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Benihana (10-05-2019),M2 (10-01-2019),malcontent (10-01-2019),REDREAD (10-01-2019),Rojo Rijo (10-03-2019)

Beer? No. Hunter Greene? Mackenzie Gore? Yes

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

camisadelgolf (10-05-2019),REDREAD (10-01-2019)

Would I swap India for Beer right now? In a heartbeat.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don’t think most prospect analysts would agree. Beer has the same profile as a dozen and one flameouts, he’ll need to keep showing he can keep it up at every level and into the big leagues before he gets some real love as a 1B/DH guy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

He can hit. His stats aren't only Texas League but he had good numbers in the Midwest and Carolina leagues too. And note that his first turn in the Carolina League was lacklustre, he adjusted, returned and slayed it so I'd wait and see what he does with a second go round in the Southern League before calling him a bust for that. No problem with guys who take an adjustment period on being promoted ...big thing us whether they do in fact adjust. Beer will be a big league hitter, my only question is how good bc playing 1B / DH really moves the needle into star expectations. Merely decent hitters litter that position and his value would disappear as soon as his arb years begin.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2019)

Yea, I don't know how good/bad Beer (or India) is defensivel.
    In the trade to the Diamondbacks, he was listed as a LF.
    His bat might be good enough if he can play at a Winker / Dunn level of defense, but if he's like Alonso out there, then yes, it means he needs to rake.

I wasn't calling out the Reds so much, but just interesting, the kid was considered a top draft prospect, and I think he had an off year in his last year of college, and fell that low.. His career NCAA numbers are just absurd. 321/489/648= 1137 OPs.. Just interesting that so many teams passed on him, especially at the later part of the first round.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    There is an India Pale Ale joke in here somewhere.

Headline "India pales to ale!" perhaps

18. Likes:

kaldaniels (10-02-2019),REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    There is an India Pale Ale joke in here somewhere.

Headline "India pales to ale!" perhaps
    Yeah, I was trying to come up with one and just couldn't do it. Kudos to you...

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I wanted Jared Kellenic who was selected immediately after the Reds took India. He reached AA this season at age 19.
    Kelenic is the most impressive prospect from that class to date.

Sucks to be the Mets staff who decided that was a good move.

Turn Off Ads?