Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Surprised Brown didn't shop him. He could have saved $8 million in real money with only taking a $200K cap hit. I would think it's most likely a team would sign him as a backup or bridge QB. For example - Rams. Bortles contract is up after this year. Would you rather have Bortles or Dalton if Goff goes down?

If I'm Buccaneers I'd let Jameis walk and sign Dalton to be my #1 if you can get him at a cheap rate. 5-7 Million. Or Dalton could pick a team where the young #1 is a candidate to fail like Bears or Jets.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Surprised Brown didn't shop him. He could have saved $8 million in real money with only taking a $200K cap hit. I would think it's most likely a team would sign him as a backup or bridge QB. For example - Rams. Bortles contract is up after this year. Would you rather have Bortles or Dalton if Goff goes down?

If I'm Buccaneers I'd let Jameis walk and sign Dalton to be my #1 if you can get him at a cheap rate. 5-7 Million. Or Dalton could pick a team where the young #1 is a candidate to fail like Bears or Jets.
    He still is under contract for next season. No team is going to trade for Dalton at the midway point of the season. It doesn't really makes sense especially if you consider that he has zero familiarity with any offensive coach in the playoff picture. It would be one thing if Hue or Jay Gruden were out there as HC or OC where they could plug Dalton into a familiar system.

Paul Denehar Jr. at the Athletic suggested something like a 4th round draft pick for Dalton this off season. Said similar to what the Titans gave up for Tannehill. If that is true, I am perfectly fine with that.

From what Dalton said his agent had 3 hours to come up with something in regards to a trade...he was pretty upset today which means behind the scenes he has to be cranked about this deal.

After the London game should have been when they opened shop...makes you realize more and more how inept the FO is.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    From what Dalton said his agent had 3 hours to come up with something in regards to a trade...he was pretty upset today which means behind the scenes he has to be cranked about this deal.

After the London game should have been when they opened shop...makes you realize more and more how inept the FO is.
    Dalton can be mad, that is understandable, but I reiterate, who is going to trade for him? You have to understand, Dalton would be going into a situation where the learning curve would be pretty steep. So lets take a look at the teams who are in contention, or even on the outside, that could use a QB. I excluded the AFC North, because the Bengals aren't helping out the Steelers.

AFC teams = 0
    NFC teams = 0

The only team I could think of who had a QB need was the Panthers, and they seem ok with Allen. There aren't any teams who would be willing to make a deal for Dalton at this juncture in the season. In the offseason, a team drafting a QB may have a spot for Dalton. Denver may be a spot for Dalton, a team who has a QB go down may be a spot for Dalton. You can make an argument that Dalton has more trade value in the offseason than he did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    He still is under contract for next season. No team is going to trade for Dalton at the midway point of the season. It doesn't really makes sense especially if you consider that he has zero familiarity with any offensive coach in the playoff picture. It would be one thing if Hue or Jay Gruden were out there as HC or OC where they could plug Dalton into a familiar system.

Paul Denehar Jr. at the Athletic suggested something like a 4th round draft pick for Dalton this off season. Said similar to what the Titans gave up for Tannehill. If that is true, I am perfectly fine with that.
    Dalton has a much better resume than Tannehill. He ought to bring much more than that

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-30-2019),North (10-30-2019)

If rumors are true that Jay Gruden will be reunited with his brother then Vegas could be a possibility.

Derek Carr isn’t the answer and Jon Gruden has won with veterans.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I disagree. If you keep Dalton on his contract you have to pay him 17 million and he's a Free Agent after 2020. I doubt anybody wants him in 2020 for 17 million.

The beauty of Dalton is that he can be cut with zero penalty after 2019. If I'm Green Bay and leading the division, and my backup QB is Tim Boyle who has never thrown a pass in the regular season, I'd like Dalton for the rest of this year. As insurance. Probably could have tossed the Bengals a 5th.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

You have to understand, Dalton would be going into a situation where the learning curve would be pretty steep.
    Offenses are simpler than they used to be though.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the front office was apparently in Switzerland on vacation on deadline day.

The Brown family is great at getting rich off of the city of Cincinnati, eternally terrible at winning football games.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I disagree. If you keep Dalton on his contract you have to pay him 17 million and he's a Free Agent after 2020. I doubt anybody wants him in 2020 for 17 million.

The beauty of Dalton is that he can be cut with zero penalty after 2019. If I'm Green Bay and leading the division, and my backup QB is Tim Boyle who has never thrown a pass in the regular season, I'd like Dalton for the rest of this year. As insurance. Probably could have tossed the Bengals a 5th.
    Here is the article I was referring to:

He entered a do-or-die season in which he would be judged on the mesh with Taylor’s scheme and needs. Going winless through the first half was all the answer you needed to that question.

Dalton has a year left on his contract, which expires after 2020. No dead money remains, so the team could cut him at any time for no financial penalty.

A more likely scenario, however, would be the team trading him early in the offseason. A perfect template exists for this move. Miami traded Ryan Tannehill to Tennessee for essentially a fourth-round pick last year.
    https://theathletic.com/1335550/2019...r-andy-dalton/
    If there is no dead money on Dalton's contract, he will restructure his contract next season forever he plays with.

As to the above comments, yes Dalton is better than Tannehill, he will garner trade interest in the offseason.

The Grudens may take a look at Dalton, but that is an offseason trade, not inseason.

Offensive systems may not be as complicated now, but they still take an adjustment period. Dalton won't walk into a new place ready to take over the starting job. I think it would take a few weeks for him to get to a comfortable level, and that may be too late.

Yea I could see a team making a play for a backup QB for a stretch run, but that cuts two ways. That is a lot of contract money to bring in for that and are they willing to give up much for a back up? If Rodgers goes down, so does GB's season. I don't know if this version of Dalton is good enough to do much. I think Dalton is a good QB, capable of winning, but is very dependent on the players around him. GB doesn't have the supporting case required for Dalton to make a run with them.

According to Albert Breer Dalton had 8.47 million left on his contact and the 17 million next season was not guaranteed...

The contract is tradeable what makes it hard is not having a dance partner as Chicago supposedly was not interested and Denver is doing it's own tank with Flacco going down. Tampa Bay maybe but Arians loves a big arm QB, Dalton is not that. My sticking point is why wait until 3 hrs before the deadline to make the move. Head scratcher....
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    According to Albert Breer Dalton had 8.47 million left on his contact and the 17 million next season was not guaranteed...

The contract is tradeable what makes it hard is not having a dance partner as Chicago supposedly was not interested and Denver is doing it's own tank with Flacco going down. Tampa Bay maybe but Arians loves a big arm QB, Dalton is not that. My sticking point is why wait until 3 hrs before the deadline to make the move. Head scratcher....
    The front office's handling of Dalton is puzzling to say the least. But my point still is Dalton was not being traded at the deadline.

Looks like some of the Brown family (not Mike) were in Switzerland the last few days.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/4098987002/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bengals put Ryan Glasgow on IR and sign Greg Mabin from practice squad
    Another lost season for Glasgow.
    By Jason Marcum@marcum89 Oct 30, 2019, 2:11pm EDT

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/10/...practice-squad

How many did they have last year? 15? 20? The year before?
    Last edited by North; 10-30-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Jeez AJ is a good guy...
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...chise-tag/amp/

Sounds like he'd stay here if it was a long term contract, but if he gets franchised he still won't hold out.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Jeez AJ is a good guy...
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...chise-tag/amp/

Sounds like he'd stay here if it was a long term contract, but if he gets franchised he still won't hold out.
    God, how can AJ be this big of an idiot? Seriously, what a loser.

He deserves the Bengals.

Turn Off Ads?