Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by tsdavis11 View Post
    If Mayfield continues to do so, over and over after 9+ years in the league, absolutely
    Now you’re just making things up

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cordy Glenn needs to retire so the Bengals can move on from him. But, if he did that he couldn't keep collecting checks for sitting on his behind and doing nothing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Larkin90 (09-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Mayfield is actually a winner. We're stuck with a 'loser' at QB. We all know we'd rather have that guy than the one we currently have.
    Mayfield has not did crap. Dalton took the Bengals to 5 straight playoff games his first five years. Mayfield was overrated in college, and he is definitely overrated now. All this Mayfield love makes me sick. I know, I know Dalton never won a playoff game, he always makes boneheaded plays, but he has did more than Mayfield ever will. Mayfield is TRASH.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Mayfield has not did crap. Dalton took the Bengals to 5 straight playoff games his first five years. Mayfield was overrated in college, and he is definitely overrated now. All this Mayfield love makes me sick. I know, I know Dalton never won a playoff game, he always makes boneheaded plays, but he has did more than Mayfield ever will. Mayfield is TRASH.
    I suggest you read up on Mayfield's biography. He took a perennial losing team into a respectable team as a Rookie. Andy was already here after Marvin established himself. No way Andy would've done what Mayfield did last year. The only question is how long it will take Mayfield to make them into annual playoff winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I would love the Bengals to get a top pick, but I'm not sure they can out-suck the Redskins and Dolphins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the bigger prize is the 2021 draft with Lawrence and Fields. I don't really know what to think about Herbert and Tua, I don't know if either are QB's who will be elite QB's.

Just of note, the Bengals opponents so far this season are 8-1, so the start of the season wasn't exactly the cake walk many thought it would be. Although, two of the games the Bengals could/should have won.

If it were up to me, her is how I would proceed.

After this season, draft the BPA from a list of OT and LB, early and often. Throw in a DE if there is a guy heads and shoulders above the rest.

For the 2020-21 season, franchise Dalton, he will be expensive, and I think he is better than the alternative options, and will buy another season until you get your QB.

For the 21 draft, go get your QB. At this point you should have solidified your OLine and you hope to have solidified your LB corps. There will be other holes, but not like they have now. You get a good OLine and a new QB and you can really run a ground and pound offense, easing a new QB into the NFL.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I suggest you read up on Mayfield's biography. He took a perennial losing team into a respectable team as a Rookie. Andy was already here after Marvin established himself. No way Andy would've done what Mayfield did last year. The only question is how long it will take Mayfield to make them into annual playoff winners.
    The Bengals were 4-12 the year before Dalton got here and lost a franchise QB. Dalton took them to the playoffs and Mayfield didn't do anything. They won after Jackson left, big surprise. He has got all those weapons, and it is wasted because of Mayfield.. Mayfield never wins a playoff game or comes close to Dalton's success.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the bigger prize is the 2021 draft with Lawrence and Fields. I don't really know what to think about Herbert and Tua, I don't know if either are QB's who will be elite QB's.

Just of note, the Bengals opponents so far this season are 8-1, so the start of the season wasn't exactly the cake walk many thought it would be. Although, two of the games the Bengals could/should have won.

After this season, draft the BPA from a list of OT and LB, early and often. Throw in a DE if there is a guy heads and shoulders above the rest.

For the 2020-21 season, franchise Dalton, he will be expensive, and I think he is better than the alternative options, and will buy another season until you get your QB.

For the 21 draft, go get your QB. At this point you should have solidified your OLine and you hope to have solidified your LB corps. There will be other holes, but not like they have now. You get a good OLine and a new QB and you can really run a ground and pound offense, easing a new QB into the NFL.
    Lawrence is coming back down to earth a bit this year, and Fields is still pretty unknown. Fields has looked good so far, but I definitely wouldn't pencil him in as an elite NFL prospect yet. That doesn't mean I don't think either can be top QBs, but it's easy to always be looking ahead, when the future is uncertain. I think that if you have the chance to take a QB that you think is awesome, you do it because you can't predict what will happen the next year. I like Tua and Herbert and would be thrilled with either.

We'll have to see how this season plays out though. To your point, the Bengals schedule that looked pretty easy has not been that way, and they could just as easily be 2-1 as 0-3, and probably would be without the injury issues. The Bengals are not good, but they're also not a complete disaster. The division is also much worse than expected, and so there are winnable games. I don't think that means the Bengals will be a playoff team by any means, but it could keep them from having a top 5 pick, which would be unfortunate. If they're top 5, they have to take a QB, but even if not, this could be a decent year to take a QB outside of the top 5, as there are 5-6 potential 1st round picks. The danger in waiting for 2021 is that if you improve the team in 2020 without taking a QB, you may end up in the 12-15 range in 2021, which takes you out of the range for a top QB, especially because the Bengals are very unlikely to trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Even if it’s someone else, the Bengals could take the Carson Palmer route and draft someone, let them sit for a year, and keep retooling the o-line.

That’s easy because only one will take a QB. Redskins took Haskins last year.
    Of course the Redskins could trade that pick. Though I suspect they won't want to risk losing out on the top non-QB on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    The Bengals were 4-12 the year before Dalton got here and lost a franchise QB. Dalton took them to the playoffs and Mayfield didn't do anything. They won after Jackson left, big surprise. He has got all those weapons, and it is wasted because of Mayfield.. Mayfield never wins a playoff game or comes close to Dalton's success.
    I like Baker and still think he'll be good, but he has yet to have a good game against a real opponent. He dominated Bengals, Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers. He was mediocre to bad against other teams. He's looked awful this year.

His ceiling is higher than Dalton's, but he still has a ton to prove. Dalton has a lot of issues in the pocket, but Baker's pocket presence looks even worse as he bails immediately if the first read isn't there. Teams now have tape on him, and let's see if he can adjust. His O line is not good, but a lot of the sacks are on him too. He's holding the ball way too long looking for the big play and putting his O line in a bad position.

13. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (09-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

In my opinion the two toughest positions to evaluate coming out of college are OL and QB because require a lot beyond pure physical capabilities. You have to draft them but they are high boom/bust propositions.

I like Baker and still think he'll be good, but he has yet to have a good game against a real opponent. He dominated Bengals, Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers. He was mediocre to bad against other teams. He's looked awful this year.

His ceiling is higher than Dalton's, but he still has a ton to prove. Dalton has a lot of issues in the pocket, but Baker's pocket presence looks even worse as he bails immediately if the first read isn't there. Teams now have tape on him, and let's see if he can adjust. His O line is not good, but a lot of the sacks are on him too. He's holding the ball way too long looking for the big play and putting his O line in a bad position.
    Way too early to throw in the towel on Baker. The O line is not only not good, it is really bad. They have been committing so many penalties which has put the Browns in horrible spots. I agree that Baker has not helped his offensive line, but if the first and second read is consistently not available then part of it is routes and play calls. He needs to adjust, as does Freddy Kitchens. I agree his hype going into this season was way overboard, but I still think he can develop into a top notch quarterback.

Redskins pick first, Bengals pick 2nd.

Redskins will trade the top pick to the Steelers, who will then select the QB the Bengals were about to take.

And that QB will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

This is another one of those "seen this movie before" things that are as easy to predict as the sun rising in the morning.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Redskins pick first, Bengals pick 2nd.

Redskins will trade the top pick to the Steelers, who will then select the QB the Bengals were about to take.

And that QB will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

This is another one of those "seen this movie before" things that are as easy to predict as the sun rising in the morning.
    The Steelers don't have a pick to move up because they already traded it for Fitzpatrick.

Lawrence is coming back down to earth a bit this year, and Fields is still pretty unknown. Fields has looked good so far, but I definitely wouldn't pencil him in as an elite NFL prospect yet. That doesn't mean I don't think either can be top QBs, but it's easy to always be looking ahead, when the future is uncertain. I think that if you have the chance to take a QB that you think is awesome, you do it because you can't predict what will happen the next year. I like Tua and Herbert and would be thrilled with either.

We'll have to see how this season plays out though. To your point, the Bengals schedule that looked pretty easy has not been that way, and they could just as easily be 2-1 as 0-3, and probably would be without the injury issues. The Bengals are not good, but they're also not a complete disaster. The division is also much worse than expected, and so there are winnable games. I don't think that means the Bengals will be a playoff team by any means, but it could keep them from having a top 5 pick, which would be unfortunate. If they're top 5, they have to take a QB, but even if not, this could be a decent year to take a QB outside of the top 5, as there are 5-6 potential 1st round picks. The danger in waiting for 2021 is that if you improve the team in 2020 without taking a QB, you may end up in the 12-15 range in 2021, which takes you out of the range for a top QB, especially because the Bengals are very unlikely to trade up.
    The thing with Lawrence is I could play QB at Clemson and they still wouldn't lose a game, its how bad the ACC is. I have only watched a little bit of Clemson this season, but it seems like his entire game so far has been to throw the ball up and have his big WR's go get it. Fields is a question mark, but we are still two years away from those two entering the draft.

The guy who I like is Fromm, just seems like an overall polished QB who isn't afraid to make the big play. Georgia seems content in running teams to death instead of putting it in Fromm's hands. I think he could be a very good QB at the next level.

You see a lot of teams make the big jump when they have a quality team and are able to add a QB to the mix. You accumulate talent and then all of a sudden you throw a good QB into the mix and your team is ready to go. If the Bengals follow what I want them to do, it may require them to trade up to get a QB. I am fine with that. If you get the OLine, if you solidify your LB corps, all of a sudden you have a team that is ready to go, you throw into the mix a good QB, and look out.

Just for fun, lets say Williams, Price, Jordan, Glenn, 1st Round pick, and Hopkins are able to be a quality OLine. You draft a rookie QB, have Mixon as your RB, and all of a sudden you are able to control the line of scrimmage. You are able to bring that QB along slowly because you can pound teams to death. But if you get a rookie QB with question marks all over the line, that young QB may be lost.

But Lawrence beat Alabama as a freshman. You can't really do better than that. He also looks the part. He's the next can't miss QB, after Elway, Peyton, and Luck. These guys seem to only come around once every ten yrs.

It sure looks like Miami will get the #1 overall pick

Turn Off Ads?