Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 9/26/2019 And This One Belongs to Marty

Re: 9/26/2019 And This One Belongs to Marty

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He walked three in the inning. No pitcher can expect not get away with an inning like that at the big league level. No matter if an error(s) are involved.
    Not the point. The catch should have been made. He should have walked away with a scoreless innings. The walks did not cause JVM to drop the ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fondfoat View Post
    Not the point. The catch should have been made. He should have walked away with a scoreless innings. The walks did not cause JVM to drop the ball.
    But he would have never had the chance to drop it if Castillo doesn't walk the ballpark. So I put the initial blame on Castillo and secondary on JVM. I finally did see the play. Van Meter should have caught the ball. He went a long way for it but a decent MLB outfielder catches that ball. JVM just isn't that good. I had high hopes for him but he looks like is a very marginal MLB utility player at best.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Van Meter and OGrady are triple A players only. Along with Peraza-Dietrich-Romano-Bowman-Kunhle-Casali-Mahle-Blandino-Farmer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fondfoat View Post
    It would have been a tough catch. Walking the bases loaded leaves you vulnerable to such a play

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would have been disappointed if he done anything less to end his cantankerous career.
    Is it cantankerous or realistic? If he's said a lot of negative things in recent history, maybe it's because the team's been really bad in recent history? If we don't want negative things said about our team then maybe we need to ask our team not to give them reasons to be negative?

With all the Marty interviews and all the soft ball questions, there's one question that I haven't heard him asked:

"Marty, would you still be retiring today if not for the Reds futility of late?"

Johnny Bench admitted once that one of the reasons he retired in 1983 at the age of 35 was because the Reds were losing. I think Marty had had enough of broadcasting bad baseball.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is it cantankerous or realistic? If he's said a lot of negative things in recent history, maybe it's because the team's been really bad in recent history? If we don't want negative things said about our team then maybe we need to ask our team not to give them reasons to be negative?

With all the Marty interviews and all the soft ball questions, there's one question that I haven't heard him asked:

"Marty, would you still be retiring today if not for the Reds futility of late?"

Johnny Bench admitted once that one of the reasons he retired in 1983 at the age of 35 was because the Reds were losing. I think Marty had had enough of broadcasting bad baseball.
    I think the main reason Bench retired was because he could no longer perform at a level that was up to his expectations.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Trivia time: Johnny Bench and Satchel Paige once played on the same team. The year was 1966. Bench was 18, and Paige was 59. The team was the Peninsula Grays of the Carolina League. You can win yourself some drinks at the bar armed with that bit of minutiae.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-27-2019),Revering4Blue (09-27-2019)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DAC5C0C-F2A5-47F0-931A-F69127C7E0A6.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	15318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9B331329-FE52-45B6-B446-EAACBD621B13.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	15317Brennaman began his career in 1974 describing Aaron’s historic homer No. 714 that tied Babe Ruth. It ended with Alex Blandino failing to check his swing on a two-out, two-strike fastball from Josh Hader.

GO STANFORD CARDINAL BASEBALL

Turn Off Ads?