Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Brother, can you spare a CF?"

Re: "Brother, can you spare a CF?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    You think he'll be more injury prone at 2B?
    Yes. Very much so. Lots of stop/start/twist/turn going on there at second base plus you have the runner coming at you as you try to turn two.
    Senzel isn't a small guy. There may be another second baseman his size in the game, but I doubt there are many.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Likes:

mth123 (09-28-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Yes. Very much so. Lots of stop/start/twist/turn going on there at second base plus you have the runner coming at you as you try to turn two.
    Senzel isn't a small guy. There may be another second baseman his size in the game, but I doubt there are many.
    Senzel"s not even close to large for a 2B. He's the same size as Jonathan Schoop and a good bit shooter than D.J. Lemahieu, Wilmer Flores and Ben Zobrist. Guys like Max Muncy and Keston Hiura carry more bulk.

As for health, CF is a brutal position. It's the position with the most sprinting. Your body absorbs massive impact when you sprint and it's ridiculously easy to tear a cold or tight muscle. Even if Senzel's staying in the OF, RF/LF would significantly reduce the wear and tear. Also, Senzel's been a lifelong IF. He knows how to execute the fundamentals there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-30-2019),Kinsm (09-29-2019),REDREAD (09-30-2019)

Jackie Bradley Jr. I think would be good, and wanted him in the last off season. We have need for power hitting in the lineup so getting a cf with that capability would be nice but probably pricey

7. Likes:

REDREAD (09-30-2019)

I'm not a fan of the idea, but I'm guessing Odubel Herrera could be had.

Can Adam Eaton adequately play center field?

The Braves have both Ronald Acuna and Ender Inciarte at the MLB level. Meanwhile they have both Cristian Pache and Drew Waters in AAA. Here's a trade idea:

Reds receive:
    OF Drew Waters
    OF Ender Inciarte

Braves receive
    RHP Raisel Iglesias
    IF Jonathan India
    RHP Tony Santillan
    OF Mike Siani

That's just a rough framework, but it might be close.

9. Likes:

mth123 (09-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm not a fan of the idea, but I'm guessing Odubel Herrera could be had.

Can Adam Eaton adequately play center field?

The Braves have both Ronald Acuna and Ender Inciarte at the MLB level. Meanwhile they have both Cristian Pache and Drew Waters in AAA. Here's a trade idea:

Reds receive:
    OF Drew Waters
    OF Ender Inciarte

Braves receive
    RHP Raisel Iglesias
    IF Jonathan India
    RHP Tony Santillan
    OF Mike Siani

That's just a rough framework, but it might be close.
    I see Inciarte and Iggy kinda canceling each other out there...if anything I value Inciarte more.

That leaves Sant/India/Siani for Waters. I just don’t think that gets it done for the Reds.

I do like the targets but if the Braves give up a top prospect they are gonna seek maximum return from the other 29 teams. Someone would ante up more.

Edit - I’d almost just target Ender alone on a buy-low.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I see Inciarte and Iggy kinda canceling each other out there...if anything I value Inciarte more.

That leaves Sant/India/Siani for Waters. I just don’t think that gets it done for the Reds.

I do like the targets but if the Braves give up a top prospect they are gonna seek maximum return from the other 29 teams. Someone would ante up more.

Edit - I’d almost just target Ender alone on a buy-low.
    They could get Ender pretty cheap. He does get on base a bit and the defense is off the charts. I'd go the opposite route of trying to get him for mostly salary relief and a middling prospect.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Do folks really believe that the way to keep Nick Senzel healthy is to move him to second base? That seems counter intuitive. Take your best recent high draft pick who you really need in the lineup for his bat and put him in the position where he's most likely to get hurt. This is why we can't have nice things.
    We don't have a choice. .I am assuming this shoulder injury is going to hurt his arm strength for throwing (which honestly, was not that great to begin with, in my opinion).
    I think 2b is probably the only position Nick can play, at least next year (that is open, 1b and 3b are not open)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

What about that kid in COL who took Hader deep the other night?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What about that kid in COL who took Hader deep the other night?
    The Rockies have a surplus of “B” grade guys it seems.

Dahl, Tapia, McMahon, Hampson, “That kid who took Hader deep”

I’d look to them for a deal for a position player and see if they are wanting to move one.

I have an outside the box thought....why not move Aquino to center, Senzel to 2nd, and then sign Castellanos or Puig.

Not saying its perfect, but there are a couple real options out there in right. If Winker can play center anyone can.

16. Likes:

Chip R (09-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    I have an outside the box thought....why not move Aquino to center, Senzel to 2nd, and then sign Castellanos or Puig.

Not saying its perfect, but there are a couple real options out there in right. If Winker can play center anyone can.
    I'd be shocked if Castellanos doesn't resign with the Cubs. Not sure I want Puig for what he is going to cost.
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-30-2019 at 07:43 PM.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-30-2019)

I think Puig is going to be fairly cheap. He hit less than one homer per month from July 15 till end of season.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Mookie Betts
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Senzel in CF is/was an interesting experiment that clearly isn't working.

Let's not waste another year experimenting, Reds have a big hole at 2B again and Senzel will be in his rightful place back in the IF.

That leaves CF, SS and bullpen as the areas in dire needs of upgrades. Feels better just typing that.

22. Likes:

HokieRed (09-30-2019),REDREAD (09-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Senzel in CF is/was an interesting experiment that clearly isn't working.

Let's not waste another year experimenting, Reds have a big hole at 2B again and Senzel will be in his rightful place back in the IF.

That leaves CF, SS and bullpen as the areas in dire needs of upgrades. Feels better just typing that.
    This makes such obvious good sense that there's no way our FO will get it done. How many years have we needed SS and CF?

24. Likes:

REDREAD (09-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?