Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Brother, can you spare a CF?"

Re: "Brother, can you spare a CF?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Good chance JBJ is going to be non-tendered by the Red Sox. I'm not saying I want him, but if I'm the Reds and are interested in him I'd wait and see what they did with him before offering up any kind of prospect package.
    Eh, assuming the package required isn't steep (and why would it be if they are letting him go anyways), a trade gives you a year of control...no guarantee you can pick him up as an unrestricted FA.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Starling Marte is probably going to be the top CF who's available this winter. Got to figure the Pirates are moving him for prospects.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-02-2019),Mitri (10-02-2019),REDREAD (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Eh, assuming the package required isn't steep (and why would it be if they are letting him go anyways), a trade gives you a year of control...no guarantee you can pick him up as an unrestricted FA.
    Because not only do you have to give up something to get him you'd then need to pay him the 10+ M$ he's going to get via arbitration and then be gone in 12 months time.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Starling Marte is probably going to be the top CF who's available this winter. Got to figure the Pirates are moving him for prospects.
    Doubt it Pittsburgh will almost assuredly exercise their option on him which is $9.5M ($2M buyout). Plus they have 2 option years left on him.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Excellent target. Pirates should be heading into at least a minor rebuild. I wonder if they'd bite on a package based around India/Santillan? Doubtful.

10. Likes:

M2 (10-02-2019),REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Doubt it Pittsburgh will almost assuredly exercise their option on him which is $9.5M ($2M buyout). Plus they have 2 option years left on him.
    B-R says there are two club options remaining.

Outside the box thinking....

Rusney Castilo - the Red Sox are not going to add him to the 25 man roster. Due to luxury tax implications for Boston the Reds would have to pay his entire 13.5M$ salary next year but that may be just fine if the Red Sox also send the Reds other pieces (like very good prospects). It would be like the Braves taking Bronson Arroyo's entire 10M$ contract from ARI if they included top prospect Touki Toussaint.
    ---The one really big plus of this move (aside from getting back other pieces), would be that he's controllable in 2021 and 2022 at league minimum before he'd qualify for arbitration (presuming he can hit in GABP).

A.J. Pollack - see if the Dodgers are having 2nd thoughts (speculation is that they would go after Betts if they can move him). If so, see if they'll eat 1/3rd of his contract or so to get him off their books. Would the Reds be okay with the 3 years, and ~30M$ owed to him?

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-02-2019)

Rusney Castilo - the Red Sox are not going to add him to the 25 man roster. Due to luxury tax implications for Boston the Reds would have to pay his entire 13.5M$ salary next year but that may be just fine if the Red Sox also send the Reds other pieces (like very good prospects). It would be like the Braves taking Bronson Arroyo's entire 10M$ contract from ARI if they included top prospect Touki Toussaint.
    ---The one really big plus of this move (aside from getting back other pieces), would be that he's controllable in 2021 and 2022 at league minimum before he'd qualify for arbitration (presuming he can hit in GABP).
    Whoa! How the hell is this guy making that kind of bank??

EDIT: NM lol..he's Cuban

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Whoa! How the hell is this guy making that kind of bank??

EDIT: NM lol..he's Cuban
    Castillo has one of the most remarkable careers (earnings wise) of any pro ball player. 72 million for a career in Pawtucket.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-02-2019),M2 (10-02-2019),REDREAD (10-02-2019)

A.J. Pollack - see if the Dodgers are having 2nd thoughts (speculation is that they would go after Betts if they can move him). If so, see if they'll eat 1/3rd of his contract or so to get him off their books. Would the Reds be okay with the 3 years, and ~30M$ owed to him?
    Wow his situation is really a sad one. He is basically trapped in AAA because the Red Sox don't want to add his $11M salary to their salary cap by bringing him up. He's been really good in AAA too.

https://www.trifectanetworksports.co...-in-pawtucket/

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019)

Wow his situation is really a sad one. He is basically trapped in AAA because the Red Sox don't want to add his $11M salary to their salary cap by bringing him up. He's been really good in AAA too.

https://www.trifectanetworksports.co...-in-pawtucket/
    He still gets paid, so it's not that sad. But I agree, it's stupid that he can't find out if he can compete against the big boys because Boston might get taxed heavily by the league if they do so.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

For his sake, he has to hope that a team that does have cap space (like the Reds) works out a trade or that he is still good enough to compete in the bigs in 2021 after spending yet another season in AAA next year.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Is Pittsburgh going to be good in the next three years? They're early into a rebuild and Marte's got trade value. I can't imagine they'd hold him and risk seeing his market drop as he gets deeper into his 30s.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Rusney Castillo's mostly playing RF these days. He's lost a couple of steps.
    Last edited by M2; 10-02-2019 at 02:25 PM.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Not into Rusney, but the Pollock idea really makes a good amount of sense. We know the Reds liked him last year and he's performed well in LA. Of course there is a chance that you trade a solid prospect to LA who they then turn into a rising star while Pollock spends most of the year injured, those are both legitimate concerns.

Still, I'd be interested.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

29. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-02-2019),REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?