Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

I know this is in the NCAA football thread but thought it merited it’s own discussion:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...r-pay-play-act
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

North (09-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

It will become the death of college sports for me....I will be out.

5. Likes:

jimbo (09-30-2019)

I found this interesting, and think this may be much ado about nothing.

For example, a basketball player could not wear Nike products during team events if he or she plays for a school that is sponsored by Under Armour.
    I think we are going to see NCAA athletes being compensated better in the future, but I just think that many people will benefit from it. I don't live in Columbus, but I can't really think of another place where a player can make more of his/her own image than that city. You have a big midwest city with none of the major three sports teams in their city. Even considering that, I just don't know how many athletes can really make money off their likeness. Just off the top of my head, Fields, Okuda, Dobins, and Chase Young. In basketball, maybe Kaleb Wesson, but other than that, I just don't see a company really getting behind anyone but a few players.

I would like to see higher monthly stipends while an athlete is in school, maybe even from some kind of trust for them. But for 99% of the athletes in a school, this is a nonstarter.

I'm pretty torn on the whole thing TBH.

I feel pretty much zero sympathy for the "plight" of college athletes. Anyone who's been on a college campus knows how great their deal actually is. And a full tuition scholarship is really, really valuable. Like $100k valuable at a minimum and more like $500k valuable at places like Stanford and Vandy. And if the student athletes are "oppressed" and "exploited", it's amazing how many folks are lining up to be similarly oppressed and exploited.

And the NCAA takes a lot of abuse and deserves some of it (some of their rules are crazy), but think of the educational opportunities college athletics has produced for so many who likely would not have otherwise had such opportunities.

But the money in college sports has grown so much that the something probably does need to change now. Those of "us" thinking of a simpler time in college athletics are thinking of a time when you might pay $10 for a ticket, the games might be on local TV with the occasional national TV broadcast, and the coach was likely making a very nice salary, but something more like $500k-$600k than guaranteed multi-millions for multiple years. More of that money probably does need to find its way to the athletes, and not just in nicer facilities for them to train and play in.

A reminder to the players, though: for the most part, without college athletics structured as they are, you would be nameless and faceless. Not very many people are interested in minor league sports as a rule. The reason people are so passionate about college athletics is because of the universities represented and the history and tradition associated with conferences and the tournaments/playoffs that the NCAA sponsors. Be careful what you wish for/ask for. Absolutely try and get a share of the golden eggs, but careful not to kill the goose that lays them.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-01-2019),Boss-Hog (09-30-2019),bucksfan2 (09-30-2019),Caveat Emperor (10-01-2019),cumberlandreds (09-30-2019),Kilgore_Trout (10-02-2019),marcshoe (10-30-2019),nmculbreth (10-12-2019),REDREAD (10-03-2019),Revering4Blue (09-30-2019),texasdave (09-30-2019),WVRed (09-30-2019)

41.5 million minor league baseball tickets sold in 2019, somehow I think there's probably a model where minor league basketball and football could do ok. Maybe not NCAA levels of ok, I'm honestly not sure.

College scholarships are in return for potential brain damage, because we're talking about football here. The conversation with other sports is deflection. For many sports, a scholarship is a good deal. For others, it's highway robbery.

People are also missing how this would play out I think.

The entire football team would make money at a place like OSU. Some local company would pay the non-stars $10k or $20k or whatever a year, while Justin Fields would make 6-7 figures. Other sports would also have opportunities, depending on donors owning companies, etc.

Players are already getting paid. Bring it out into the open.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    41.5 million minor league baseball tickets sold in 2019, somehow I think there's probably a model where minor league basketball and football could do ok. Maybe not NCAA levels of ok, I'm honestly not sure.

College scholarships are in return for potential brain damage, because we're talking about football here. The conversation with other sports is deflection. For many sports, a scholarship is a good deal. For others, it's highway robbery.

People are also missing how this would play out I think.

The entire football team would make money at a place like OSU. Some local company would pay the non-stars $10k or $20k or whatever a year, while Justin Fields would make 6-7 figures. Other sports would also have opportunities, depending on donors owning companies, etc.

Players are already getting paid. Bring it out into the open.
    OSU players would get all kinds of money that UC players would not get. That's not right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OSU players would get all kinds of money that UC players would not get. That's not right
    The OSU players' potential brain damage is apparently worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The OSU players' potential brain damage is apparently worth more.
    Why? I think brain damage is created equally. Why is OSU's WR brain damage worth more than a UC WR? Furthermore, I'd say UC players were more at risk for brain damage in their game in Columbus than Ohio State. The Buckeyes were stronger and faster

We actually don't know that. If this goes through there will be some weird new powerhouses.

I'm confused though - OSU players are much more talented than UC players, I'm surprised you have a problem with that.

They already do. This just will put a system in place so they don’t have to try and hide it.

We actually don't know that. If this goes through there will be some weird new powerhouses.

I'm confused though - OSU players are much more talented than UC players, I'm surprised you have a problem with that.
    Where's your surprise? You think I support college athletes paid according to their talent? No way! That's not how college works. That's how professionals work

Where's your surprise? You think I support college athletes paid according to their talent? No way! That's not how college works. That's how professionals work
    Sure, that would be consistent. College football is a money-making operation that doesn't pay the labor.

Sure, that would be consistent. College football is a money-making operation that doesn't pay the labor.
    that is definitely the narrative that has been used to push the agenda of player compensation, and it has been effective. That said, it is a misleading narrative at best. First, revenue has skyrocketed in recent decades in college football, and the vast majority of that has been used to improve the life of the college football player. Sure coaches are getting paid more, and Administrators have their hand in the pie.....but that is literally a fraction of what is being reinvested in the programs/student athletes.

I think most people....even fans would be shocked if they spent a week shadowing a P5 scholarship football player in 2019. These guys literally live the life of kings compared to the standard students college experience. Scholarship players have cost and attendance stipends deposited in their bank accounts monthly....so the stories of players not having enough money to buy a pizza or go on a date is false in 2019. At the facilities (football building) they are provided very good food prepared by Chef's and high level staff 24 hours a day. While the kitchen closes down in the evening, healthy subs and dishes are stored for any player to go get at any time and just warm. This is not the crap that is part of a math majors meal plan. Fridges are stocked with Gatorade, Muscle Milk and many other goodies anytime they desire. The amount of money spent on resources to keep these student athletes physically and mentally healthy is enormous. Also the amount of people assigned to the athletes on the academic side to help them stay on track and make it nearly impossible to fail is a very large budget line. I would like to see everything put into a calculator/computer and spit out how much is spent on each scholarship football player over 4 years....think it would blow many peoples minds.

Finally this legislation only deals with being able to receive compensation based on the players likeness. How much is Justin Fields likeness worth if not in a Buckeye (or Georgia Bulldog) jersey? I would say not very much....but this bill is actually allowing the player to receive compensation for their likeness combined with the school's built in value....and I think that built in value of the program is the overwhelming portion of that value. I know Ohio State can sell a ton of jersey's without Justin Fields name on them.....can Justin Fields sell any jersey's without Ohio State on them?

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think most people....even fans would be shocked if they spent a week shadowing a P5 scholarship football player in 2019.
    Right, lots of colleges have spent hundreds of millions of dollars building out facilities all while paying the athletes who make it possible $0, correct.

I say we just abolish college athletics altogether. I won't stand for the exploitation of these poor kids. They'd be much better off without NCAA athletics. Someone told me minor league baseball sells 41 million tickets per year. And people are always raving about how well those athletes are treated. Some poster (maybe dougdirt) practically commits his whole life commenting on how great minor league baseball players have it. If we abolish NCAA athletics and have similar minor league systems in all sports, athletes will be so much better off.

Turn Off Ads?