Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    You assume she's getting a full ride. I don't think full rides in non-revenue sports are as common as one would think. I've had friends whose kids played college soccer and, according to them, full ride scholarships aren't as widely available for non-revenue sports. If you're really good you might get tuition paid, but not room and board. Many just get a portion of their tuition paid, if anything at all.

I question how much football and basketball programs actually support the other sports. I believe I mentioned it before, but it's my understanding that, except for the very best 6 or so programs in the country, most college football programs still take huge chunks of money from their university's general fund even though they are profitable. They do so to try to keep up with the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world. And most of that money gets invested back into things that benefit the football and basketball programs. I wonder whether those non-revenue sports would see any change if they took the money that goes to subsidize football and basketball and just gave it to the other sports and required football and basketball programs to live on the profits everyone claims they bring in.
    Yes I am assuming she is getting a full ride. In most big time athletic departments, and I am considering UCLA to be one of those, football takes up so many male scholarships that most female programs are fully scholarshiped. It is my understanding that if you have 100 male scholarships, you have to have 100 female scholarships. Its the reason why some schools only partially fund programs like baseball and soccer, there are just too many players on a team, especially when you consider the 85 football scholarships.

Football absolutely is a massive revenue generator at every single power 5 school and even other schools with quality teams. Its not necessarily the gate revenues, but its the bowl revenues, and the most important thing, its the TV contracts. There is no BTN without football. There is no SEC Network, ACC Network, Pac 12 Network without football. For the 2017-2018 year, the BTN paid the schools $54M. That money is because of football, not wholly derived from football, but there is no $54M payment from the BTN without college football. IU and Purdue may not make money off of their football team per say, but they sure get that nice check for the BTN on a yearly basis.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's true. I know even some FCS schools have football players on half-scholarships. Baseball is notorious for doing that even at some of the schools where it's popular.
    Baseball is only alllowed to give something like 11.9 scholarships, so very few get full rides. Scholarship gymnasts at UCLA are going to be on full rides, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I look at it this way. If she is not on campus someone else would be on campus, someone else from Washington paying full board.

I don't think she could have made 6 figures. I think it was a nice moment, but once the 24 hour news cycle passed, she pretty much disappeared from the lime light. She may have gotten a nice trip to NY and been on GMA, but other than that, I just don't see it.
    There was no incentive for her to try to capitalize on it though, it might have passed or she might be a star now. These kids can't even monetize YouTube channels.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I look at it this way. If she is not on campus someone else would be on campus, someone else from Washington paying full board.
    Yes and no. The opportunity cost for the university doesn't really come into play because there's no opportunity she's taking away from some other student who might pay full board. There's no limit on the number of students they can accept within a given year. Further, given that the athletic department is technically a separate entity from the school(at most NCAA D1 schools) the university isn't really giving her anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    There was no incentive for her to try to capitalize on it though, it might have passed or she might be a star now. These kids can't even monetize YouTube channels.
    Two things:

1. The video would be owned by the NCAA and UCLA. She would not have access to use the video in an add.

2. Its easy in hindsight to say "I could have made money but the NCAA....." The reality is much murkier. She probably could have made a little bit, I doubt it is much.

I am not understating the amount of time people dedicate to their sport. I just feel for most of the subsidized sports, they receive much more than they give to the university.

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-11-2019)

So this just happened:

NCAA starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities for student-athletes

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...dent-athletes/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-29-2019),Revering4Blue (10-29-2019),Slyder (10-29-2019)

I thought about starting a new thread but thought it would be better to resurrect an old one instead:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tion-increased

Between this and Dickie Vs rant this week toward Oscar Tshiebwe actually returning to school because he got a NIL offer there’s definitely some discussion to be had.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I thought about starting a new thread but thought it would be better to resurrect an old one instead:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tion-increased

Between this and Dickie Vs rant this week toward Oscar Tshiebwe actually returning to school because he got a NIL offer there’s definitely some discussion to be had.
    Its the wild west right now because the NCAA didn't get ahead of things.

I think basketball is where most of the cesspool will reside, but hasn't it always been that way?

Football will likely continue to way it is right now. Things will hit the fan when someone really good decides to transfer because another school is paying him more. For example, Bryce Young transferring to LSU because they are going to pay him more than Bama. Until that happens, I don't think you will see that much of an impact in football.

Its the wild west right now because the NCAA didn't get ahead of things.

I think basketball is where most of the cesspool will reside, but hasn't it always been that way?

Football will likely continue to way it is right now. Things will hit the fan when someone really good decides to transfer because another school is paying him more. For example, Bryce Young transferring to LSU because they are going to pay him more than Bama. Until that happens, I don't think you will see that much of an impact in football.
    The Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher war in the SEC West is interesting:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ople-think-god

For the record, Jimbo could get the top recruiting class and still underachieve. It does add an element to that rivalry though.

13. Likes:

Chip R (05-20-2022)

The Nick Saban-Jimbo Fisher war in the SEC West is interesting:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ople-think-god

For the record, Jimbo could get the top recruiting class and still underachieve. It does add an element to that rivalry though.
    Another day in the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Another day in the SEC
    I don’t think so.

A future first ballot HOF coach and one of the best to ever do it calls out another program for buying players (of course Lane Kiffin did it too but that’s Lane being Lane).

It’s been all over Twitter today and October 8th has literally been circled on everyone’s calendar now if it wasn’t already.

Saban playing mind games, Jimbo will his guys so keyed up by October 8th that A&M will probably fumble the kickoff.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

WVRed (05-19-2022)

And Jimbo got played like a fiddle…..

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-24-2022)

I believe Saban. I don't think they paid a single player to go to Bama. I believe they paid many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-21-2022)

I don’t think so.

A future first ballot HOF coach and one of the best to ever do it calls out another program for buying players (of course Lane Kiffin did it too but that’s Lane being Lane).

It’s been all over Twitter today and October 8th has literally been circled on everyone’s calendar now if it wasn’t already.
    Like I said...

Turn Off Ads?