Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

I still don't see the big deal here with California. The issue all along with players getting paid has been the NCAA, not the statehouses in 50 states. That hasn't changed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    But this brings me to a large point, isn't the NCAA the governing body? Couldn't the NCAA hold its line, saying that you can accept money, but you are unable to participate in NCAA sanctioned events?
    Then you are leaving out several big name programs in that state. What if other states like North Carolina do this? Is the NCAA going to tell Duke and North Carolina they can't participate in NCAA sanctioned events?

I would guess the NCAA has a backup plan here and it will apply to all schools not just ones in a particular state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Then you are leaving out several big name programs in that state. What if other states like North Carolina do this? Is the NCAA going to tell Duke and North Carolina they can't participate in NCAA sanctioned events?

I would guess the NCAA has a backup plan here and it will apply to all schools not just ones in a particular state.
    They would probably hammer South Carolina! But in all reality, the schools are member schools of the NCAA. The NCAA is the governing body, if they want to participate in NCAA sanctioned sports, they have to abide by the rules.

Just thought of this, but this new bill signed, did it really change anything? People are allowed to make money in college, they can make millions in college. It just violates your amateur status if you make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    How many OSU fans would by a Thayer Munford jersey? Probably very few.

How many boosters / whale donors care about getting recruits like Tayer Munford through the door so that the program can keep up it's dominance? Quite a few, I'd imagine.

This is all about creating a legalized means for players to be paid money by 3rd parties. As soon as that is a reality, you'll start to see *everyone* getting paid at the top universities just to maintain the dominance. Once that happens, it becomes a game of "keep up with the Jonses" or get left behind.
    This Mountaineer would have bought a Munchie Legaux jersey just for the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

Ohio is exploring a similar bill lol

Get used to this, it's happening.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

So is Kentucky. State legislators aren't going to let Kentucky basketball or Ohio State football fall behind their friends at UCLA and USC in recruiting.

The NCAA is still going to have its say, though.

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-02-2019),REDREAD (10-03-2019),Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So is Kentucky. State legislators aren't going to let Kentucky basketball or Ohio State football fall behind their friends at UCLA and USC in recruiting.

The NCAA is still going to have its say, though.
    You will see the AD's with power get together and create a system that enables players to make money off their own likeness. The universities will do it in a way where it is controlled, limiting the top end of what you can make, but also weeding out all the bad actors that seem to follow. They will want to make sure everything is on the up and up, and want to prevent a Nevin Shapiro situation.

I think the question will come down to if an individual can be compensated for their likeness directly or will into go into a pool that everyone gets paid out.

12. Likes:

Slyder (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think the question will come down to if an individual can be compensated for their likeness directly or will into go into a pool that everyone gets paid out.
    Yea, I think its best for your star players if they are compensated for their name, but I think its best for the program as a whole if everything goes into a pool. Maybe into a pool and then doled out from there.

Anything that is done will need to work with the NCAA. Right now athletes in California can make money off their name, but they can't play in NCAA sanctioned sports. In essence, they still have to abide by NCAA rules. I also don't think the NCAA wants agents involved in the college aspect of things. I think the olympic model right now is the best, but I also think what makes the most sense, is the athletic department negotiates contract with businesses for the players. They could negotiate contracts with companies to be the "official" sponsor and is allowed to use lets say 10 players in adds through the year. The 10 players get 50% while the rest of the team gets 50%. You could do that with several companies to crate a nice pool of money for everyone, while also keeping tabs on who is doing what.

That way the schools can control it, they can prohibit the seedy underbelly from outright playing players. They can help manage the money for the players. They can help with taxes and other things that tend to arise and bit people in the rear.

Urban Meyer was on Fox about a half hour ago talking about this and he didn't seem like he was a fan of it. He said that you're going to have 5 guys making 6 figures and 90 guys making next to nothing. He went on to give the hypothetical, "how do I tell Ezekiel Elliott who's making $600K that he has to go to class on Tuesday?" He makes some good points

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea, I think its best for your star players if they are compensated for their name, but I think its best for the program as a whole if everything goes into a pool. Maybe into a pool and then doled out from there.

Anything that is done will need to work with the NCAA. Right now athletes in California can make money off their name, but they can't play in NCAA sanctioned sports. In essence, they still have to abide by NCAA rules. I also don't think the NCAA wants agents involved in the college aspect of things. I think the olympic model right now is the best, but I also think what makes the most sense, is the athletic department negotiates contract with businesses for the players. They could negotiate contracts with companies to be the "official" sponsor and is allowed to use lets say 10 players in adds through the year. The 10 players get 50% while the rest of the team gets 50%. You could do that with several companies to crate a nice pool of money for everyone, while also keeping tabs on who is doing what.

That way the schools can control it, they can prohibit the seedy underbelly from outright playing players. They can help manage the money for the players. They can help with taxes and other things that tend to arise and bit people in the rear.
    But who's part of the pool? Then you get into Title IX issues

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2019)

The 90 guys getting "nothing" will all be happy to be actually be paid $1000 a month or whatever for the group photo they participated in & ad campaign the local car dealership runs all year.

I think the solution to getting a guy like Zeke Elliott making that much money to class is to allow him to major in football, with actual classes on the life he will be living.

You make that major highly competitive so that it's not a no show "gen ed" type of degree and I think it would be fine. I realize this will never happen.

18. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-04-2019)

The best thing likely to come out of this for those of us who are not athletes (and with no family members likely to become athletes) is the resumption of the EA Sports college football series!

20. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The 90 guys getting "nothing" will all be happy to be actually be paid $1000 a month or whatever for the group photo they participated in & ad campaign the local car dealership runs all year.
    Not really.. You are underestimating human nature, the other players will be jealous.
    The whole premise of this argument is that the schools are making billions and the athletes are getting "nothing".. Why would just paying the top 1% of athletes change that?

And this will turn into a Title IX issue.. Over half the population is female. There's lots of men that support feminism.. I am not saying it is good or bad, but let's say there are male basketball players making $300k per year.. Don't you think that the female athletes will complain and want a similar deal? I would if I was a female athlete. Eventually the universities will cave in, because they will not want to be perceived as sexist..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think the solution to getting a guy like Zeke Elliott making that much money to class is to allow him to major in football, with actual classes on the life he will be living.

You make that major highly competitive so that it's not a no show "gen ed" type of degree and I think it would be fine. I realize this will never happen.
    If the athletes are going to get paid, why not just drop the whole premise that they are there for an education? I mean seriously.. don't even give them scholarships. They can play for OSU or Duke for a year, no obligation to go to class if they don't want to.
    The star football player that is excused from classes frees up a spot for a student on waiting list to enroll.. a student that actually wants an education.

Even if no reforms happen with payments.. don't force athletes to go to class. Drop this entire scam about being a student-athlete.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

23. Likes:

Chip R (10-03-2019),Kingspoint (10-10-2019)

Turn Off Ads?