Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 96

Thread: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

  1. #61
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,107

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    This statement isn't geared to anyone here in particular because I don't know your political beliefs, but in general it's weird that I've seen so many people who believe in the "free market" who are arguing against it when it comes to college sports.
    I guess I see it a little differently. If you were an employee of a drug company and found a major break through drug on company time, you wouldn't get all that compensation from the drug. Same thing about working for a company like Apple, lets say you are the main driver of a new revolutionary technology, Apple would still own that technology.

    With college football in particular (and basketball as well) there is so much you get based upon the university and the jersey that you wear. You aren't exactly crafting your talents in your own gym or on your own field. You are playing in front of 100K not exactly because of your talents, but because of what came before you. Justin Fields is an individually great talent, but the exposure has more to do with Ohio State and the players that came before him, even decades before him, that it does his individual talents.

    Joe Bauserman was a terrible QB at Ohio State, but the stadium still sold out when he was the starting QB.

  2. Likes:

    Boston Red (10-04-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,103

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Exactly. Fields, for example, should get some of that value. But he shouldn't overstate his contribution to it.

  5. #63
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,505

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Mike Shashefski is in favor of it. Given the smoke with Zions recruitment, kinda wonder if heís getting out in front of it:

    https://es.pn/30X2bb9
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  6. #64
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,326

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If the athletes are going to get paid, why not just drop the whole premise that they are there for an education? I mean seriously.. don't even give them scholarships. They can play for OSU or Duke for a year, no obligation to go to class if they don't want to.
    The star football player that is excused from classes frees up a spot for a student on waiting list to enroll.. a student that actually wants an education.

    Even if no reforms happen with payments.. don't force athletes to go to class. Drop this entire scam about being a student-athlete.
    I get this reasoning, but at that point, it's not a "college" sport. It's a professional sport sponsored by a university. The fact that they'd wear a jersey with the university logo on it is inconsequential. If they're not really students, then why do I care about the sports of that university. It just doesn't at all feel like college athletics if these guys never step foot on campus other than to practice and play games.

    I love college sports, but I'd rather see them go away completely than go to this type of model. These universities exist for the purpose of education. I get that they're raking in mountains of money and that the players generating the interest so that this can happen aren't compensated proportionally to what they contribute, but this alternative crosses the line for a university to be involved in for me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  7. Likes:

    Boston Red (10-08-2019),UKWhoDey (10-09-2019)

  8. #65
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,849

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    These universities exist for the purpose of education.
    Do universities with research as part of their mission bother you? Even when some of the professors doing the research barely teach classes or participate in the educational aspects of the university? I'm trying to see how this would be much different.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  9. Likes:

    Griffey012 (10-09-2019)

  10. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,998

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Do universities with research as part of their mission bother you? Even when some of the professors doing the research barely teach classes or participate in the educational aspects of the university? I'm trying to see how this would be much different.
    What about University Hospitals too? There is an education to be had simply by being a college athlete. Athletics are big business from youth sports on up. Tons of former players play big roles whether that be participating, coaching, training, etc and there is money to be made there.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  11. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (10-09-2019)

  12. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,103

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What about University Hospitals?
    Can't speak for MWM, but I personally only go to "professional" hospitals to cheer on the surgeons.

  13. Likes:

    Assembly Hall (10-09-2019),Griffey012 (10-09-2019),Redsfaithful (10-09-2019)

  14. #68
    Member UKWhoDey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    104

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I get this reasoning, but at that point, it's not a "college" sport. It's a professional sport sponsored by a university. The fact that they'd wear a jersey with the university logo on it is inconsequential. If they're not really students, then why do I care about the sports of that university. It just doesn't at all feel like college athletics if these guys never step foot on campus other than to practice and play games.

    I love college sports, but I'd rather see them go away completely than go to this type of model. These universities exist for the purpose of education. I get that they're raking in mountains of money and that the players generating the interest so that this can happen aren't compensated proportionally to what they contribute, but this alternative crosses the line for a university to be involved in for me.
    This is how I feel. I dont begrudge any player who wants to get paid out of high school. The pros need to devise a mechanism for them to do so. Leave college be. College sports are about the tradition and pageantry. As a Kentucky fan I watched and cheered Billy Gillispie basketball players just as much as Calipari's. Ive sat through 36 yrs of horrible UK football because if my love for the university and my city of Lexington and my state. I couldnt care less who's name is om the back of the jersey, its about the name on the front why people go to games.

  15. #69
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,107

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    This is how I feel. I dont begrudge any player who wants to get paid out of high school. The pros need to devise a mechanism for them to do so. Leave college be. College sports are about the tradition and pageantry. As a Kentucky fan I watched and cheered Billy Gillispie basketball players just as much as Calipari's. Ive sat through 36 yrs of horrible UK football because if my love for the university and my city of Lexington and my state. I couldnt care less who's name is om the back of the jersey, its about the name on the front why people go to games.
    If you "divorce" the university from the sport, it will become like every other minor league organization. I have said this earlier, the G-League is a higher quality of basketball than what the NCAA provides. But very few people actually watch the G-League. If a team becomes the Columbus Buckeyes instead of Ohio State, very few people in Columbus, or the alumni base, would actually care about the games.

  16. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,998

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    This is how I feel. I dont begrudge any player who wants to get paid out of high school. The pros need to devise a mechanism for them to do so. Leave college be. College sports are about the tradition and pageantry. As a Kentucky fan I watched and cheered Billy Gillispie basketball players just as much as Calipari's. Ive sat through 36 yrs of horrible UK football because if my love for the university and my city of Lexington and my state. I couldnt care less who's name is om the back of the jersey, its about the name on the front why people go to games.
    It seems odd to talk about tradition and pageantry and then follow up talking about UK basketball. UK basketball is currently just an NBA draft training camp. Which is far from the traditional way UK basketball developed over the years. UK Basketball essentially operates as a separated model now.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  17. #71
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,849

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If you "divorce" the university from the sport
    This isn't going to happen though, there's too much money involved, it's just a debate on whether they should give some of that money to the labor.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  18. Likes:

    Chip R (10-09-2019)

  19. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,103

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This isn't going to happen though, there's too much money involved, it's just a debate on whether they should give some of that money to the labor.
    I don't think it's even that anymore. The players just got the stipends (full cost of attendance) in the last few years, and they're going to get something in this name/image/likeness matter. The question is the mechanism by which they give them the money and how widely it's distributed. To keep the whole system from blowing up, I think that money needs to come through the universities and be widely distributed.

  20. #73
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    40,105

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think it's even that anymore. The players just got the stipends (full cost of attendance) in the last few years, and they're going to get something in this name/image/likeness matter. The question is the mechanism by which they give them the money and how widely it's distributed. To keep the whole system from blowing up, I think that money needs to come through the universities and be widely distributed.
    This may be less of an issue than everyone seems to think it will be. Especially if the money is distributed evenly. Let's use tOSU as an example. They have 1,038 student athletes. Let's also say that Justin Fields gets $10,000 from a local car dealership. If that is divided up equally among all student athletes, that's less than $10 per student athlete. That's barely enough to buy a pizza. If the university and Columbus and Uncle Sam take a cut, they might be able to buy a latte at Starbucks. Now maybe I'm thinking small because someone like Derrick Rose makes over $20M a year in endorsements. But that's mainly shoe money. The shoe companies are already paying universities for their players to wear their gear. Why do that and pay a player to endorse their products as well? I would suppose that players at some of the smaller universities won't make out so well. Take UC for example. They have a little more than half the athletes tOSU has. Cincinnati already has 3 professional teams and UC is unfortunately somewhat of an afterthought on the local sports radar. But let's say someone like Desmond Ritter - their QB - gets some endorsement money from a local clothing store. Maybe $1,500. Sharing that with the 500 some student athletes at UC will come out to around $2. Less if the entities get a cut. If any endorsement money is being share equally, no one is going to get rich.

    Another thing to remember, it's still illegal for players to hire agents. These athletes aren't going to know their true worth to companies who may give them endorsements. That's one of the reasons why players hire agents when they turn pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  21. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,103

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    I don't think it should be shared equally with all athletes. Only football and men's basketball. UConn may want to share with their women's basketball.

  22. #75
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    40,105

    Re: NCAA Pay to Play: The Death of College Sports as we know it

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think it should be shared equally with all athletes. Only football and men's basketball. UConn may want to share with their women's basketball.
    I just read a story about a UCLA gymnast who says she could have profited off her name and likeness.

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sb-206-...160950573.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator