Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The #Reds today announced that Caleb Cotham has been promoted to Major League Assistant Pitching Coach and Director of Pitching.

Additionally, Kyle Boddy (BO-dee) has been named the organization's Director of Pitching Initiatives/Pitching Coordinator.
    In case you aren't familiar with Driveline or Boddy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ging-baseball/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (10-02-2019),Griffey012 (10-02-2019),Hillsdale87 (10-01-2019),kaldaniels (10-01-2019),NC Reds (10-01-2019),NebraskaRed (10-01-2019),RED VAN HOT (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Marc Carig in an article for The Athletic yesterday said the Mets and Cubs were among the teams that were interested in hiring Boddy

Driveline has exerted a major influence on the industry over a relatively short period of time, and Boddy has been the driving force. It makes sense that the Mets expressed interest in hiring him, joining a group that also includes the Cubs.
    https://theathletic.com/1239364/2019...rating-season/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

I really like this move. It shows the Reds are trying to be out in front of new innovations and trends rather than trying to follow them.

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-02-2019),M2 (10-01-2019),nmculbreth (10-01-2019),paintmered (10-03-2019),Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

From Kyle Boddy’s Twitter:

Tremendously excited to join the Cincinnati @Reds.

A few things:

1) I will remain at @DrivelineBB.
    2) I am Director of Pitching Initiatives // Pitching Coordinator.
    3) I work almost entirely in the minor leagues, so fortunately, I won't see @BauerOutage any more than I have to.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-02-2019),Hillsdale87 (10-01-2019),Redeyecat (10-01-2019),Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

I'd guess this kind of move is at least partially in response to one too many pitching prospects who never put it all together.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-01-2019),Tom Servo (10-01-2019)

The #Reds today announced that Caleb Cotham has been promoted to Major League Assistant Pitching Coach and Director of Pitching.

Additionally, Kyle Boddy (BO-dee) has been named the organization's Director of Pitching Initiatives/Pitching Coordinator.

I love these moves... Williams and Krall are doing a great job of improving this organization.

13. Likes:

JustaFan (10-01-2019),RED VAN HOT (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

I love these moves... Williams and Krall are doing a great job of improving this organization.
    I just hope the front office can put a good team on the field next year because whatever that is they put on the field this year stunk
    Crazy Reds Fan

Reds have obviously decided that having top notch coaching is a key to small market success.

Will be interesting to see the choice for hitting coach.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-01-2019 at 06:08 PM.

16. Likes:

Always Red (10-01-2019),Griffey012 (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

It is an interesting move with high risk. I don’t think anyone would have said that adding Boddy in some capacity was a bad move. But to hire him to coordinate the pitching instruction in the minor leagues is going to bring some skepticism for one simple reason: you are trying to teach guys to go beyond being throwers and become pitchers, and yet he has never pitched, not anywhere at even a JC or D3 level. So he is going to be supervising a group of pitching coaches while possessing no real knowledge of the mental part of pitching. He is a guy skilled at teaching guys to train to throw harder. I think there is a place for that guy. Not sure if this is the right job. Time will tell and I wish him the best.

It is easy to see why they let go of veteran pitching coaches like Darwin and Fassero, who were teaching a completely different skill set than what this gentleman is expert at.

18. Likes:

Crumbley (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-01-2019)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Will be interesting to see the choice for hitting coach.
    You mean the Director of Hitting Initiatives/Hitting Coordinator.

I do like the systemwide approach they’re taking. And it seems to be a lot more sophisticated than “everybody takes the first pitch.”

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    It is an interesting move with high risk. I don’t think anyone would have said that adding Boddy in some capacity was a bad move. But to hire him to coordinate the pitching instruction in the minor leagues is going to bring some skepticism for one simple reason: you are trying to teach guys to go beyond being throwers and become pitchers, and yet he has never pitched, not anywhere at even a JC or D3 level. So he is going to be supervising a group of pitching coaches while possessing no real knowledge of the mental part of pitching. He is a guy skilled at teaching guys to train to throw harder. I think there is a place for that guy. Not sure if this is the right job. Time will tell and I wish him the best.

It is easy to see why they let go of veteran pitching coaches like Darwin and Fassero, who were teaching a completely different skill set than what this gentleman is expert at.
    I had always heard good things about Darwin. Any insight on how he didn’t align with current organization trends?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

It’s definitely outside of the box and I can see some people, particularly traditionalists, being critical of it. I wonder if the Reds offered more power in order to top the possible offers from other teams.

But hey, ultimately the old way wasn’t working.

22. Likes:

JustaFan (10-01-2019)

Travis Sawchick reported the Cubs offered him a job but he chose Cincy.

24. Likes:

Chip R (10-02-2019)

I suspect that those minor league pitching coaches that don't buy in are going to find themselves unemployed. I like to see the Reds at the forefront for a change,
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

26. Likes:

Chip R (10-02-2019),icehole3 (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Travis Sawchick reported the Cubs offered him a job but he chose Cincy.
    maybe because of Bauer?

28. Likes:

DocRed (10-01-2019)

Turn Off Ads?