Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Re: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I wonder what Johnny Sain or George Bambarger would think of driveline. 2 great pitching coaches. Sain also never got along with management much.
    Having read of some of Sain's work, I'm guessing he'd have been right there with Driveline.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The two teams that worked with Driveline closest dropped it as soon as they possibly could. Yeah, totally nothing more to that story other than Boddy was a dick.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Also, yeah, Mark Mulder totally doesn’t know a lot of inside info. He’s just a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Also, yeah, Mark Mulder totally doesn’t know a lot of inside info. He’s just a guy.
    Fox Mulder, on the other hand...

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

M2 (10-30-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Fox Mulder, on the other hand...

He just wants to believe.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Big Klu (10-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The two teams that worked with Driveline closest dropped it as soon as they possibly could. Yeah, totally nothing more to that story other than Boddy was a dick.
    OK so, what is the "more to the story" then? You keep alluding to something that I feel like I'm supposed to pick up on, but I have no idea -- what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    OK so, what is the "more to the story" then? You keep alluding to something that I feel like I'm supposed to pick up on, but I have no idea -- what is it?
    I posted it earlier in this thread but this to me would seem to suggest that there are issues with Driveline that the Phillies noticed. I assume the same happens with the Reds.

The Phillies, under Andy MacPhail and Matt Klentak, invested millions in technology to advance the farm system. The organization was far behind and attempted to take a shortcut by latching onto Driveline Baseball, a trendy think tank in suburban Seattle that specializes in velocity training for pitchers and hitters. The Phillies hired people associated with Driveline and entered into an exclusive and expensive agreement with the company that allowed for in-person and remote assessments, access to consultants, and educational materials. That agreement will soon expire, according to sources, and it will not be renewed.

The Phillies, a team executive said, discovered the Driveline culture did not embody the kind the Phillies wanted in their farm system. Feedback was handed down and rarely traveled up. Perspectives that challenged Driveline precepts were not considered valid and, worse, not respected. The Phillies made dozens of staff changes, but important holdovers were asked to do things they weren’t capable of doing, or just did not want to do because they had contempt for the person telling them to do it, according to team sources. Grudges festered both ways.

https://theathletic.com/2857705/2021...shared_article
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 10-31-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I posted it earlier in this thread but this to me would seem to suggest that there are issues with Driveline that the Phillies noticed. I assume the same happens with the Reds.

https://theathletic.com/2857705/2021...shared_article
    This strikes me as a much larger indictment of the Phillies than Driveline. If you're way behind on analytics and progressive thinking, then by hiring Driveline you're asking them to come in and break stuff. The fact that they were surprised at the Driveline approach would seem to indicate that they didn't do their homework. And of course the holdovers, who likely have an old school approach, we're not happy. It's probably good to crawl before you walk, and the Phillies may have tried to start at run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    This strikes me as a much larger indictment of the Phillies than Driveline. If you're way behind on analytics and progressive thinking, then by hiring Driveline you're asking them to come in and break stuff. The fact that they were surprised at the Driveline approach would seem to indicate that they didn't do their homework. And of course the holdovers, who likely have an old school approach, we're not happy. It's probably good to crawl before you walk, and the Phillies may have tried to start at run

So two teams dropping them doesn’t seem a little odd to you? Maybe another team pounces but my bet is there won’t be.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    So two teams dropping them doesn’t seem a little odd to you? Maybe another team pounces but my bet is there won’t be.
    No, I'm sure there are rough edges with Driveline that need to be smoothed out before fitting into a large organization like an MLB team. Boddy is a socially awkward guy with strongly held opinions. He's definitely not going to be for everybody.

But it just seems funny to me that two teams that have historically been poorly run decided to walk away from Driveline, and some are using that as evidence that Driveline is a disaster. It's possible that they are, but the Reds and Phillies are pretty bad too.

I totally forgot Boddy existed until FCB randomly brought him up in the Votto thread.

Boddy still hasn’t been picked up by another MLB team. I am shocked! (I am not shocked)

Still think something stinks with him and driveline.

They call me "chef"

Let’s just say there is a Mesorocian reason why Driveline isn’t working with teams anymore…I’ve said too much…

16. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-16-2022),CySeymour (01-16-2022),RedTeamGo! (01-16-2022)

Turn Off Ads?