Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Re: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Doing a heckofajob Brownie. With a little luck and some help from that great minor league system these guys have built, we might win 76 games next year.
    If you really can't see the progress and changes I don't know what to say to you. These new initiatives have mostly been in the past year/year and a half, we aren't going to see the fruits overnight. That's tough to take when you're six years into a losing streak - the real irritating part is the first 3/4 years of this rebuild was same ol same ol until the futility broke something and the younger guys started taking charge.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My philosophy on coaches is I’m less concerned with their methodology and more concerned with their knowledge of the game and skill as a teacher. While I’d prefer coaches who are open to and knowledgeable of the most advanced methods, I’ll take a smart, skilled old school coach over a progressive coach with bad communication skills.

I worry if Darwin and others were let go because the front office wanted to clean house of all the old school coaches. I would rather they kept them and got them involved in the more progressive path they are taking. Maybe they left in their own because they didn’t want to work with this new system. But I think the winning system is one that includes both perspectives working together.
    I would liked to have seen analytics people added in player development as support personnel first, before whacking the coaches. Example, you have a guy who sees in the Trackman data that a certain hitter is having a huge problem with something that is identifiable. Maybe a specific pitch in a certain location in a certain count. Time after time. He takes that information to the hitting coach, who addresses it with the player and they work to improve on the weakness.

But that is not the direction it is going. The direction it is going is to eliminate the hitting coach and make the analytics guy the hitting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    we aren't going to see the fruits overnight. .
    Silly me, i was growing impatient.

The story of Trevor Bauer and Kyle Boddy

https://nypost.com/2019/06/08/how-tw...mpression=true

7. Likes:

kaldaniels (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Doing a heckofajob Brownie. With a little luck and some help from that great minor league system these guys have built, we might win 76 games next year.
    Brownie?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Brownie?
    A reference to the guy Dick used to work for.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7&&FORM=VRDGAR

Probably goes without saying, but I love this.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-01-2019),westofyou (10-01-2019),wlf WV (10-20-2019)

Brownie?
    Brownie was the head of FEMA during Katrina

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-01-2019)

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t.

But this shows these are not your 2017-and-back Reds. This is a real change.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-02-2019),Edd Roush (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-01-2019),SirFelixCat (10-16-2019),The Operator (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t.

But this shows these are not your 2017-and-back Reds. This is a real change.
    First team to hire a strength coach!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In case you aren't familiar with Driveline or Boddy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ging-baseball/
    Holy ish
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    maybe because of Bauer?
    I am going to guess it had a lot more to do with Johnson and Cotham already on the staff and instituting organizational changes that flow with Boddy's teachings.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    If you really can't see the progress and changes I don't know what to say to you. These new initiatives have mostly been in the past year/year and a half, we aren't going to see the fruits overnight. That's tough to take when you're six years into a losing streak - the real irritating part is the first 3/4 years of this rebuild was same ol same ol until the futility broke something and the younger guys started taking charge.
    I think the telling quote is the fact he said he is more excited about what the Reds are doing compared to the other offers he had.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-02-2019),Hillsdale87 (10-02-2019)

The story of Trevor Bauer and Kyle Boddy

https://nypost.com/2019/06/08/how-tw...mpression=true
    Reading the part about his "style" as a Little League coach, I immediately hated him. But hopefully he can make the Reds better!

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    You can imagine how terribly frustrating some of this has to be for the older coaches. They spent their whole lives learning about pitching...mechanics, setting up hitters, etc., and they feel like they know more about pitching than anyone else alive, and they get pushed out by young guys who went to college and were not even involved with the baseball team but were wizards in things like math and anatomy. They have got to be just sick, and probably very bitter in some cases.
    True. But the game has evolved. Maybe they can learn some new analytical tools and use that along with their knowledge and contribute to some organization.

The Reds made a great move here. They have been notorious for being an organization that could not develop starters. This shows that they are at least willing to try something different organizational wise. It may not bear fruit for a few years. You're not going to turn Sal Romano into Sonny Gray no matter how much they use analytics. But the guys in A and AA may be able to contribute one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?