Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Re: Reds hire Driveline's Kyle Boddy, promote Cotham

Boddy=Jonah Hill in Moneyball.Even looks like him. Except there's no money here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am going to guess it had a lot more to do with Johnson and Cotham already on the staff and instituting organizational changes that flow with Boddy's teachings.
    I think it was in C Trent's latest article on the athletic where he mentioned regarding the next hitting coach that communication needed to be more than just emailing things out, but rather really taking the time to work with people.

My guess is that it's actually pretty hard to find people who have both the analytical know how and the proven hand-on coaching experience Boddy has. I expect him to spend a decent amount of his effort coaching the coaches -- teaching the minor league coaching staffs how to work with pitchers in this new tech/analytics environment.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

Chip R (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    From Boddy on Twitter:

"I had a lot of interest, and multiple offers. The direction the Reds are going blew me away. Throughout the two months of interviewing, the Reds' opportunity just *felt right*.
    So two months of interviewing and at the same time the Reds go all in on one of his prize pupils two months ago. Coincidence? I doubt it
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

6. Likes:

DocRed (10-03-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019)

“Kyle and I have a long history together,” Bauer said. “We’ve talked about pro ball many times before, dating back to 2013. I’ve advised him multiple times throughout the years not to get into pro ball, but this opportunity was different. I didn’t advise him directly in any way -- we honestly didn’t talk much about it -- but I encouraged him to come on board and have expressed to him over the last two months that I think we have a very good thing going here and he’d be a huge addition.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-h...uru-kyle-boddy

8. Likes:

DocRed (10-03-2019),Edd Roush (10-03-2019),Griffey012 (10-02-2019),ochoa30 (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    “Kyle and I have a long history together,” Bauer said. “We’ve talked about pro ball many times before, dating back to 2013. I’ve advised him multiple times throughout the years not to get into pro ball, but this opportunity was different. I didn’t advise him directly in any way -- we honestly didn’t talk much about it -- but I encouraged him to come on board and have expressed to him over the last two months that I think we have a very good thing going here and he’d be a huge addition.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-h...uru-kyle-boddy
    Those quotes from Bauer lead me to believe it is possible he sticks around after this season. While he wants to maximize his money by taking 1 year deals, I can't imagine him going to a team in which doesn't support their pitching methodology. It seems like the Reds should have a solid shot if they pay him near a market rate.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

10. Likes:

DocRed (10-02-2019),Edd Roush (10-03-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019)

Espn had an article about him saying this might be biggest move in baseball this off-season.

The part that jumped out to me was that the other offers were for more money, but the other clubs wanted to transition things while the Reds were ready to go all in immediately.

A quote that I'm sure will drive RedsOf72 crazy: "I will be scouring Twitter," Boddy said, "for the next pitching coaches with the Reds."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-game-baseball
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

Chip R (10-02-2019),Edd Roush (10-03-2019),ochoa30 (10-09-2019),Rolando (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-02-2019)

Those quotes from Bauer lead me to believe it is possible he sticks around after this season. While he wants to maximize his money by taking 1 year deals, I can't imagine him going to a team in which doesn't support their pitching methodology. It seems like the Reds should have a solid shot if they pay him near a market rate.
    That’s wonderful news, but Bauer is going to have to perform a lot better next year than he did post-trade this year.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-02-2019),Number_Fourteen (10-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    That’s wonderful news, but Bauer is going to have to perform a lot better next year than he did post-trade this year.
    Obviously. He had a 6.40 ERA.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Haunted by walks

Cincinnati Reds 2020: Our coaches are better than yours.

Reds trainers are going to start giving out Alpha Brain

18. Likes:

bm1475 (10-03-2019),Wonderful Monds (10-03-2019)

This seems like a positive for the whole player development department. Perhaps the one young pitcher who might benefit tremendously from this is none other than Hunter Greene.

Greene has been a lightening pole since he was drafted, but very few can deny that he has the potential to become a top of the rotation ace. The key will be him developing a strong off-speed pitch to go with his fastball and breaking pitch, and right now, as he is “relearning” the mechanics of pitching after his surgery, all of this new technology could help him.

There also may be ways to help his pitching motion develop into a smoother routine as to save wear and tear on his elbow and shoulder. To me, instead of trying to light up radar guns in triple digits as he did at the Futures’ Game in 2018, he should stick to 96-98 mph fastballs, and focus on his breaking pitches and off-speed pitches.

Anxious to see how Greene will do with the new direction/philosophy that Boddy and Cothan (and Johnson) brings to the system.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Reds trainers are going to start giving out Alpha Brain
    DMT, if you're really in a slump

“I’m really excited about the addition, mainly because I know how many players he will be able to help immediately,” Bauer said. “As a friend, I’m super excited for him, because I know how much he’s wanted an opportunity like this. As a member of the organization, it’s really exciting to see the direction the management has chosen to go.

“They’ve made a clear investment in player development and a decided effort to surround the players at all levels with the best information, personnel, and services that exist today. I believe that investment will pay off rapidly in the form of a sustainable winning culture … that commitment to winning gets me fired up.”
    https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/reds-hi...yle-boddy.html

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-04-2019),SirFelixCat (10-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think it was in C Trent's latest article on the athletic where he mentioned regarding the next hitting coach that communication needed to be more than just emailing things out, but rather really taking the time to work with people.

My guess is that it's actually pretty hard to find people who have both the analytical know how and the proven hand-on coaching experience Boddy has. I expect him to spend a decent amount of his effort coaching the coaches -- teaching the minor league coaching staffs how to work with pitchers in this new tech/analytics environment.
    Analytical stuff (know-how) is not coaching. That's just educating the player on his numbers. Coaching involves teaching him how to improve on his numbers

- - - Updated - - -

First thing's first...he has to pitch better before the Reds will even want him back

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    First thing's first...he has to pitch better before the Reds will even want him back
    If he throws up a 6.40 ERA his market rate won't be high at all, so the Reds may want him back. But that is beside the point, I don't think we need to preface every statement about a player with "assuming they don't suck".

25. Likes:

TRF (10-04-2019)

Turn Off Ads?