Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Re: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

If a team with a lot of first-round draft choices, say Oklahoma City, they would be wise to dangle 2 or 3 of them in front of the Knicks GM in an effort to pry Mitchell Robinson away from New York. I think he is going to become a stud.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If a team with a lot of first-round draft choices, say Oklahoma City, they would be wise to dangle 2 or 3 of them in front of the Knicks GM in an effort to pry Mitchell Robinson away from New York. I think he is going to become a stud.
    Not a bad idea. If Adams is traded they could use a young centre with high upside to grow through the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And that 1 was the only test that mattered. Tonight they beat the Kings without Fox, Bagley and Bogdanovich, at home. So what.
    They all matter. Nobody is going to win the NBA Title without beating the Clippers in the West or the Bucks in the East. But, there's five moths to go until losing to the Clippers is all that matters, and even then, one loss doesn't matter.

Playing .800 ball with a semi-healthy roster does matter.

Outrebound the Lakers Friday Night, and we'll beat them, too. Lots of things to work on over the course of the next five months, but for tonight, it's rebounding that matters.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Outrebound the Lakers Friday Night, and we'll beat them, too.

I think it will take more than simply outrebounding the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post

I think it will take more than simply outrebounding the Lakers.
    While it's more complicated than a simple stat like rebounding, in this particular case, this game specifically, it is as simple as that. Whoever wins the rebounding battle will win the game.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

While it's more complicated than a simple stat like rebounding, in this particular case, this game specifically, it is as simple as that. Whoever wins the rebounding battle will win the game.
    any specific reason you believe that? For the record, if it was on a neutral court, I think the Lakers talent could overcome a Blazers rebounding edge.....but the problem is we have always struggled @ the Moda Center (and when it was the Rose Garden) no matter if we had the superior or inferior roster.

They all matter. Nobody is going to win the NBA Title without beating the Clippers in the West or the Bucks in the East. But, there's five moths to go until losing to the Clippers is all that matters, and even then, one loss doesn't matter.

Playing .800 ball with a semi-healthy roster does matter.

Outrebound the Lakers Friday Night, and we'll beat them, too. Lots of things to work on over the course of the next five months, but for tonight, it's rebounding that matters.
    They all count. They don't all matter. I have no doubt Portland can beat up on the sisters of the poor enough to climb into the 7 or 8 playoff slots. That's a low bar, and Dame and CJ with almost any collection of other players should be able to clear it. Yet the gap between the Clips and the Blazers was as plain as the nose on your face.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Maybe in the sense that the Lakers consistently out-rebound their opponents and the Blazers don't. So, possibly that's the key to Portland pulling the upset. However, the prospect of it being a Dwight Howard vs. Hassan Whiteside contest makes me think I'm not going to be watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    any specific reason you believe that? For the record, if it was on a neutral court, I think the Lakers talent could overcome a Blazers rebounding edge.....but the problem is we have always struggled @ the Moda Center (and when it was the Rose Garden) no matter if we had the superior or inferior roster.
    That's good of you to ask. So many people would have just ignored that I agree with you that it's complicated and there are many factors involved here.

It's not that outrebounding the Lakers this season, right now, will get you a win if you're certain teams, but if you are this version of the Trailblazers at this point in time, it will get them a win, as much as not out-rebounding the Lakers tonight will get Portland a loss. Here are some of the simple factors why:

1. It means that Whiteside is not in foul trouble throughout the game and he gets to log 30+ minutes protecting the rim.

2. It means that Skal Labissiere, in Whiteside's replacement, is rebounding at a double-digit percentage. When he is in there doing that, it means that his light frame isn't gettting squeezed out of rebounds by the opponents, that he's embracing the contact, and not intimidated because it's the Lakers.

3. It means that Portland is limiting Offensive Rebounds by the Lakers, and while limiting Offensive Rebounds doesn't guarantee fewer 2nd Chance points, it makes it less likely of them being earned.

4. It means that Rodney Hood might not be shying away from physical contact like he normally does and is actually making an effort at blocking somebody out (I don't think this will happen, but I'm hoping). This is important because Hood is on the front line for 30+ minutes.

5. It means that Nassir Little has adjusted to his lesser role (10-12 minutes instead of 17 minutes) and is also rebounding at a double-digit percentage (he's had a 2-game slump in this, while every Blazer had their worst game of the season against the Clippers Tuesday Night, Offensively and Defensively, except Mario Hezonja).

6. It means that if the Blazers are being this physical (they will have to be to match the size of the Lakers), then they are likely also playing good Defense in other areas (C.J. had 3 blocks and a steal in the first 6 minutes against SAC Wednesday following the LAC game, along with about 29 first half points, and he's playing very well Offensively over the last 11 games, averaging 24+ with a solid TS% and Offensive Rating).

7. Finally, it means that the Blazers are likely shooting a higher percentage from the field than the Lakers are, and as a result, are probably getting more Defensive Rebound opportunities, turnovers being equal.

8. One more thing,...it leads to the opportunity of the Blazers getting more free throw opportunities than the Lakers if they are the aggressors on both ends of the floor rebounding the ball, as the aggressor often gets the foul call.

But, to narrow it down to one thing, which makes for easier reading, whoever wins the rebound battle tonight will win the game. Can't say that will be the case for the Lakers in their next game, whoever they play, but it will be true tonight.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-06-2019 at 09:39 PM.

They all count. They don't all matter. I have no doubt Portland can beat up on the sisters of the poor enough to climb into the 7 or 8 playoff slots. That's a low bar, and Dame and CJ with almost any collection of other players should be able to clear it. Yet the gap between the Clips and the Blazers was as plain as the nose on your face.
    That gap will close as the season goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Not a bad idea. If Adams is traded they could use a young centre with high upside to grow through the rebuild.
    Was just looking at that draft yesterday because NBA.com has Gary Trent listed as an undrafted player and he was taken 37th, one pick after Robinson, taken at 36.

When Robinson was drafted, many of us here immediately said that the Knicks got a steal. The Knicks need to keep him. They have control of him for the next five or six years.

That gap will close as the season goes along.
    With the caveat that anything is possible, the Clippers looked like a hill this Blazers teams can't climb. Too much length, too much ball movement, too much defense, too much offense.

The Knicks have fired Fizdale. Yeah, like it's his fault.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...orst-4-18-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

With the caveat that anything is possible, the Clippers looked like a hill this Blazers teams can't climb. Too much length, too much ball movement, too much defense, too much offense.
    The very next time they play each other, it won't look that way. Too much being made of one game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Agree.

The very next time they play each other, it won't look that way. Too much being made of one game.
    That one game confirmed what anyone looking at the two rosters should have thought going into the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Well, they did give him Elfrid Payton.

Turn Off Ads?