Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Re: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    The people in Hong Kong are risking their lives to protest for basic liberties that the NBA and so many of its outspoken employees enjoy on a daily basis. Like the freedom to speak freely, against power without consequence. Supporting that isn't controversial or political. That this is your take is weird man.
    I think there’s a legit question about if China is a good business partner for the NBA given what you just laid out. But if you want to make that case, having the GM of the most important franchise in China tweet something that is absolutely going to piss off that countries government isn’t the way to do it.

2. Likes:

New Fever (10-18-2019),Tom Servo (10-15-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Or maybe he felt it was a good platform to publicly support the HK protestors. Whether or not it was “insane” it was a legal exercise of his freedom of speech.
    That's fine, but as I said I was addressing things from the perspective of those in the basketball business.

The people in Hong Kong are risking their lives to protest for basic liberties
    I disagree with the idea that lives are at "risk" and that continued rioting is about "liberty", personally. But I don't wanna get a perfectly good NBA thread bogged down with my views.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think there’s a legit question about if China is a good business partner for the NBA given what you just laid out. But if you want to make that case, having the GM of the most important franchise in China tweet something that is absolutely going to piss off that countries government isn’t the way to do it.
    Fair and I agree to an extent. NBA is an American sports league, I don't know that a GM tweeting out an image that supports the bedrock our country was founded on should be controversial, but there were obviously better ways to share that message. Doing biz with China shouldn't mean importing their censorship. That's my opinion across the board, for every American business, and if that's what's needed for their money then I will hate on every business who bends that knee .

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's fine, but as I said I was addressing things from the perspective of those in the basketball business.

I disagree with the idea that lives are at "risk" and that continued rioting is about "liberty", personally. But I don't wanna get a perfectly good NBA thread bogged down with my views.
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-...hattered-bones

Freedom is definitely at stake in Hong Kong

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50035229

Hong Kong protests: President Xi warns of 'bodies smashed'
    Last edited by oregonred; 10-15-2019 at 12:36 AM.

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Fair enough. I don't want to get too political in this thread either (kinda impossible with this topic). We can agree to disagree.

I’m certainly not saying this is Franz Ferdinand all over. But it sure seems like this situation could be the lynchpin to some serious historical event(s). It is and isn’t surprising that it took an NBA-centered event to draw serious attention to the China/HK situation.

10. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2019),dubc47834 (10-15-2019)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’m certainly not saying this is Franz Ferdinand all over. But it sure seems like this situation could be the lynchpin to some serious historical event(s). It is and isn’t surprising that it took an NBA-centered event to draw serious attention to the China/HK situation.
    Was thinking the same thing. This could actually be a good thing as the protests have been ongoing for months and the Chinese Government has only been held back by social media and video from all directions and elevations throughout the city of Hong Kong

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fun fact, a guy my wife taught to speak English was among the trolls harassing Kanter as he exited a local mosque.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Sensitive issues like this one take something like that.

Going softly political here, but the island that China built out into the China Sea and then claimed all territory because nobody was going to stop them is no different.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Who could do more damage? U.S. consumers not buying Chinese goods (their exports to the U.S. fell 10% last month) or Chinese consumers not buying U.S. goods? I know the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

The people in Hong Kong are risking their lives to protest for basic liberties that the NBA and so many of its outspoken employees enjoy on a daily basis. Like the freedom to speak freely, against power without consequence. Supporting that isn't controversial or political. That this is your take is weird man.
    ...the freedom to defend yourself by wearing masks was removed last week. Their rights to guns were removed long ago.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-15-2019 at 12:53 AM.

To bring this back to basketball, NBA players are pretty ruthless and LeBron clearly wants Space Jam II to play in China. Got to imagine few guys will be telling him, "Yo King, maybe you need to have an off night or I'm going to let the world know how I feel about Hong Kong tomorrow."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2019)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All cool ideas. I particularly like the Beal to the Hawks idea.

The Celtics are going to be interesting in the trade market. Langford got listed here, and he was their top overall pick this summer, but he's been pretty unimpressive so far. Carsen Edwards, Grant Williams, Tremont Waters, Max Strus, Javonte Green and the living legend Tacko Fall all look like they can play. The Time Lord also looks much improved.
    The proposed Kevin Love to Miami for Winslow and Meyers Leonard is, IMHO, ghastly, though. Other than that, they're all decent ideas, especially, as you mentioned, the Beal to Atlanta idea.

Regarding Romeo Langford:

- Unbeknownst to even the most fervent IU basketball followers/fans until recently - including yours truly - Langford suffered a thumb injury (which he promptly played through for the remainder of the season) in early December before their game against Duke. So much for the widely-accepted opinion that he simply can't shoot.

- He'll have an easier time getting to rim in the NBA surrounded by actual shooters, which he didn't around him have in college.

No question, though, that he (Langford) fits the Thunder's timeline better.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

20. Likes:

M2 (10-15-2019)

You know, before this whole China thing died down here after Morey's original tweet I said something else would eventually push it off the front page, so to speak, and some other story would take it's place and be the next big story and the NBA/China deal would be quietly settled. What I almost said was that LeBron would do or say something and that would be the next big issue. I didn't think he would say anything about the China situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Is it? I’m not even sure Daryl Morey would say something different.
    It is. Morey obviously deleted his tweet, got on his knees and licked the boots, but only when it became clear he had no cover from his employer(actually is taking "friendly" fire). Hey, it takes courage to maintain a stand once your livelihood is at risk (or your next hundred million, depending on your perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sensitive issues like this one take something like that.

Going softly political here, but the island that China built out into the China Sea and then claimed all territory because nobody was going to stop them is no different.
    Yes, and ESPN in their coverage has legitimized that move by using the picture of China including the nine dash line into the China Sea.

Turn Off Ads?