Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Re: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

FTR I do not mind if an athlete, or anyone, wants to chase and make as much money as they can possibly make. I respect that. But you don't get to pretend to be socially and politically motivated at the same time. Taking domestic positions that are profitable to appear one way and then contradicting it all when a foreign position comes up that'll hurt the bank makes you a fraud. If you're just a money chasing basketball player I'm cool with it, just own it and drop the act.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Lebron sat around all week weighing just how it was best for him to comment on the China situation. And he came up with that. Gonna be a yikes from me.
    Judgemental and fiscally aligned with his money.

The first billion-dollar athlete will probably be a European soccer player.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Betterread (10-14-2019),Chip R (10-15-2019),Kingspoint (10-14-2019),M2 (10-15-2019)

Love Enes Kanter!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Enes Kanter
    @EnesKanter
    -Haven’t seen or talked to my family 5 years
    -Jailed my dad
    -My siblings can’t find jobs
    -Revoked my passport
    -International arrest warrant
    -My family can’t leave the country
    -Got Death Threats everyday
    -Got attacked, harassed
    -Tried to kidnap me in Indonesia

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    8:34 PM · Oct 14, 2019 from Boston, MA·T
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2019),dubc47834 (10-15-2019),M2 (10-15-2019),Revering4Blue (10-17-2019)

Taking domestic positions that are profitable to appear one way and then contradicting it all when a foreign position comes up that'll hurt the bank makes you a fraud.
    Just like how Americans love to support protests in other countries but not their own?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just like how Americans love to support protests in other countries but not their own?
    Honestly, I don't even care if he supports the Hong Kong protests. Reasonable minds can differ, I suppose. But for him to s**t on Morey because it may cost him some money is shameful.

12. Likes:

membengal (10-15-2019),Rojo Rijo (10-15-2019)

Who are "Americans"? Freedom of assembly is a basic liberty we're all born with, and one I surely don't disagree with. I'm specifically talking about Lebron James, his platform, and how he chooses to use it...to make as much money as humanly possible.

14. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (10-15-2019)

Who are "Americans"? Freedom of assembly is a basic liberty we're all born with, and one I surely don't disagree with. I'm specifically talking about Lebron James, his platform, and how he chooses to use it...to make as much money as humanly possible.
    I wasn’t joking. Dude has Space Jam coming out. That isn’t getting to $1B box office without China.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Honestly, I don't even care if he supports the Hong Kong protests. Reasonable minds can differ, I suppose. But for him to s**t on Morey is shameful.
    It probably could have been phrased nicer (and a lot of Definitely Not Racist people are climbing over themselves to note that, gasp, LeBron didn't go to college) but I'm pretty sure he's speaking for most of the NBA there. From the perspective of the basketball business, it was a completely insane thing to tweet given the league's, and especially his own team's, relationship with China. And had Morey given it more thought, and certainly had even a small sense of what he was wading into, he'd never have sent it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

New Fever (10-18-2019)

It probably could have been phrased nicer (and a lot of Definitely Not Racist people are climbing over themselves to note that, gasp, LeBron didn't go to college) but I'm pretty sure he's speaking for most of the NBA there. From the perspective of the basketball business, it was a completely insane thing to tweet given the league's, and especially his own team's, relationship with China. And had Morey given it more thought, and certainly had even a small sense of what he was wading into, he'd never have sent it.
    That stance is absolutely embarrassing.

Or maybe he felt it was a good platform to publicly support the HK protestors. Whether or not it was “insane” it was a legal exercise of his freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That stance is absolutely embarrassing.
    Is it? I’m not even sure Daryl Morey would say something different.

Now he did say it and the NBA should be showing more solidarity and Lebron saying stuff like this, the way he did, is real dumb and unhelpful. The woe is me tweet after is a delicious stupid cherry too.

The people in Hong Kong are risking their lives to protest for basic liberties that the NBA and so many of its outspoken employees enjoy on a daily basis. Like the freedom to speak freely, against power without consequence. Supporting that isn't controversial or political. That this is your take is weird man.

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Love Enes Kanter!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Enes Kanter
    @EnesKanter
    -Haven’t seen or talked to my family 5 years
    -Jailed my dad
    -My siblings can’t find jobs
    -Revoked my passport
    -International arrest warrant
    -My family can’t leave the country
    -Got Death Threats everyday
    -Got attacked, harassed
    -Tried to kidnap me in Indonesia

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    8:34 PM · Oct 14, 2019 from Boston, MA·T
    Fun fact, a guy my wife taught to speak English was among the trolls harassing Kanter as he exited a local mosque.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I wasn’t joking. Dude has Space Jam coming out. That isn’t getting to $1B box office without China.
    I believe LeBron is changing his last name to Inc.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

24. Likes:

Chip R (10-15-2019),Revering4Blue (10-17-2019)

Turn Off Ads?