Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Re: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Were I Portland, I'd blow up my backcourt.

Easy money is on dealing McCollum. He's a scorer who can get tough buckets consistently and should be better if given a more ball-dominant role. Dealing him (eventually) to Minnesota for Covington and Dieng (who Portland could actually use) would be a smart use of resources.

But the more daring move is to deal Lillard for a monster return.

I wonder if Phoenix, for example, would be okay with a deal centered on Ayton and Oubre? They may have to add a pick and an expiring deal to make it work.

They could talk to OKC about their four million draft picks, but none of them are going to be high enough, IMO. A Lillard for Simmons deal (with extras, obviously) may not work, but it's fun to think about in a vacuum.

Lillard for Cleveland's unprotected number one and Kevin Love would also be a fascinating hypothetical.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Lillard will be forgotten in NBA history unless he moves team. One of the great PG of his era wasting time on an average team.
    Last night's Twitter explosion says otherwise.

Not a chance what you said is true. In time, all greats are forgotten, but he's as familiar now (to anyone who matters) as Harden or Westbrook or George or Anthony Davis. His story is only half-way written as far as basketball is concerned. He's already considered the greatest leader among his peers in a recent poll.

The greatest part of all of this...he doesn't care. For him, it's more about community, family and how you treat others than winning or legacy. His natural tendency to always believe in himself and others wills himself and those around him to exceed expectations by those on the outside looking in.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Last night's Twitter explosion says otherwise.

Not a chance what you said is true. In time, all greats are forgotten, but he's as familiar now (to anyone who matters) as Harden or Westbrook or George or Anthony Davis. His story is only half-way written as far as basketball is concerned. He's already considered the greatest leader among his peers in a recent poll.
    I don't know, seems like you need some rings to truly be considered "the greatest leader." If you haven't even been to the finals, then you're just a hard-playing guy that everyone likes.

Harden and Westbrook have MVPs on their shelves. At the very top, hardware matters. Dame's got some time to collect some trophies, but this is his last season in his 20s. Scotland Red has a point about urgency. No one, Dame or the Blazers, should be satisfied with what they've accomplished to date.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-25-2020)

he's as familiar now (to anyone who matters) as Harden or Westbrook or George or Anthony Davis.
    If he doesn't win a championship or, worse, is relegated to a team that struggles to get to the playoffs at all, he'll be a good-stats, bad-team guy.

Those guys get dismissed pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know, seems like you need some rings to truly be considered "the greatest leader."
    Like I said, not according to his peers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If he doesn't win a championship or, worse, is relegated to a team that struggles to get to the playoffs at all, he'll be a good-stats, bad-team guy.

Those guys get dismissed pretty quickly.
    He's never missed the playoffs. Finished 3rd in the tough Western Conference the last two years. Western Conference Finals last year despite losing Nurkic at the end of February.
    Rookie-of-the-Month every single month his rookie season despite being passed over by six other teams. Wills his team to exceeded expectations every year.

Loses his Starting Center (Nurkic), Starting PF (Collins), Starting SF (Hood, who was shooting 49% from "3"), 3rd-String C (Pau) for the season. Loses last season's Starting PF (Aminu), Starting SF (Harkless), backup C/stretch 4-5 (Leonard), backup C (Kanter), backup 2/PG (Curry, who led the league in 3-pt % last year) for the season as all went to other teams. Loses improving backup 4/5 (Labissiere) for two months. Now has lost C.J. to a sprained ankle for two games going on three or more right as an upper respiratory infection went through the lockerroom and media staff. Yet, they are only two games out of a playoff spot. Easily the most adversity he has ever gone through. He will though, make the playoffs again, as he has every season, carrying the team on his back like he did 2016-17 and 2017-18. Making the playoffs this season will be his best accomplishment to date.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-22-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Like I said, not according to his peers.
    It's kind of easy to toss empty compliments to a guy you always beat.

Zion just drained four consecutive 3s.

Zion has arrived.....

That was electrifying from Zion, and after Mark Jackson spent the first quarter calling him fat lol.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That was electrifying from Zion, and after Mark Jackson spent the first quarter calling him fat lol.
    he is dripping with talent and ability....but I would like to see him shed 10-20 pounds (slowly) just to ease up on those knees and ankles. I am no suggesting any hard core dieting or transformation....just a pound or two a month over the next several months.

Well, Utah came out of the soft portion of its schedule smelling like a rose 13-1 in the 14 game stretch (18-2 over the last 20) to get into second place alone in the West. Now it's time to prove they belong there. Next 9 are:

vs. Dallas
    vs. Houston
    @ SAS
    @ Denver
    @Portland
    vs. Denver
    vs. Portland
    @ Houston
    @ Dallas

If they come out of that stretch still in the #2 position, they should finish the season there.

15. Likes:

M2 (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well, Utah came out of the soft portion of its schedule smelling like a rose 13-1 in the 14 game stretch (18-2 over the last 20) to get into second place alone in the West. Now it's time to prove they belong there. Next 9 are:

vs. Dallas
    vs. Houston
    @ SAS
    @ Denver
    @Portland
    vs. Denver
    vs. Portland
    @ Houston
    @ Dallas

If they come out of that stretch still in the #2 position, they should finish the season there.
    I liked that they were just killing some of those teams too, which they weren’t early on. Assuming Conley will be a team player and is happy with 25 minutes a night off the bench, they really have something.

Pretty tough stretch, but not brutal. The @Denver and @Dallas games are both the second half of road back to backs which I just assume are losses, but I can see that being a 6-3 stretch which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well, Utah came out of the soft portion of its schedule smelling like a rose 13-1 in the 14 game stretch
    soft? nah, that is the Jordan Clarkson effect! 13-1 in the 14 games with JC....and 7-7 in previous 14 without JC

Zion seems to be for real, but Brandon Ingram has gone into a shell.

The Clippers won on the road in Miami. They seem to step it up in big games.

The Thunder put up 140 against the Hawks, which play no defense. I get why Trae Young is an All-Star - stats, highlights - but there's a lot of empty calories in his numbers.

The Celtics put away the Magic without Tatum, Brown or Kanter. Orlando's in a weird spot. It's not very good, but it's going to cruise into the playoffs, which makes it one of the more interesting teams to watch heading into the trade deadline.

Westbrook put up 45 tonight in beating the Wolves, and he didn't take a 3. Went 16-27 from the field and 13-13 from the line.
    Last edited by M2; 01-25-2020 at 12:49 AM.

Turn Off Ads?