Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Re: NBA 2019-2020: Band in China

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    In my opinion, big statement win for my Sixers last night via defeating Boston. Boston threw up bricks from the free throw line which was awesome!
    I'd call it a feel good win rather than a statement win. The Celtics have owned the Sixers the past two seasons and Philly's got to be happy to start the season by taking it to their main nemesis. The starting 5 in Philly also looks like it's going to play some heavy basketball. Like, they didn't even have a great night on offense and they still had the game on crush mode.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (10-25-2019),Revering4Blue (10-26-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

My main questions from last night are who in the blue hell is Devonte' Graham and how soon until Luke Walton gets fired by the Kings?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    who in the blue hell is Devonte' Graham
    Well, you must not live in Kansas then...oh yeah, most people don't.

6. Likes:

M2 (10-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd call it a feel good win rather than a statement win. The Celtics have owned the Sixers the past two seasons and Philly's got to be happy to start the season by taking it to their main nemesis. The starting 5 in Philly also looks like it's going to play some heavy basketball. Like, they didn't even have a great night on offense and they still had the game on crush mode.
    I agree. It definitely felt like an early-80's tussle. If there was any statement made, it's that the Sixers could handle the last 10 minutes without Joel Embiid in what was, at the time, an undecided contest. That's new.

The Good:

1) Ben Simmons was the best player on the floor the whole night. No, he didn't take a three. Yes, he missed three of five free throws. But man, could that dude get anywhere he wanted. His one-handed, one-legged scoop shot was just PURR-ty.

2) The Sixers finished with a 62 to 41 Rebound advantage. They had one player who put up four minutes who had a negative +/- rating. Their length is just plain crazy. Bothered the Celts all night long.

3) Matisse Thybulle. He only sank one of his five shot attempts, but the kid can play defense. He got schooled a couple times by Kemba, but that happens. The rest of the time, he was a menace.

4) Furkan Korkmaz. Surprisingly, he's really in the rotation. He played 19 furkan minutes, hit a timely furkan three-pointer, and generally held his furkan own against some tough furkan players.

5) Gordon Hayward, in spurts, played like the 2017 All-Star I heard he was.

The Bad:

1) Neither team could hit a three to save their collective lives in the first half. Luckily, the Celtics also missed from the stripe or it could have been a very different game.

2) Joel Embiid. The Celtics- with only the defensively-challenged Kanter- should have allowed Embiid to have a field day. But there he was, well out of the low post, too much dribbling, late in identifying double teams, and looked sort of gassed all night long. He lost weight over the offseason and toned up, which should help with his energy level and reduce strain on his knees. That being said, he's a mauler, not a finesse guy. So "maul" please.

3) Bench scoring. When Kyle O'Quinn plays four minutes and ends up one point off tying for the lead in points off the pine...well, that's not good.

4) I hope (hope) that the Sixers' offensive sets were just communication issues caused by a lack of time together. If not, Bret Brown needs to seriously rethink things.

The Ugly:

1) The officiating. At times, there were mind-boggling calls; including kicked balls that weren't, charges that didn't happen, and ticky-tack touch fouls while full body shots were left alone.

2) Kemba Walker- 4 of 18 from the field (1-of-6 from deep), 2 Assists, and 3 turnovers. He may have nightmares about Josh Richardson and Tybulle.

3) Hubie Brown. All night long. If a foul went against the Celtics, it wasn't; just a "basketball" play. If a foul wasn't called against the Sixers, it was definitely "missed". When he wasn't showing his incredible bias, it was like listening to Marty Brennaman. Had I known about the League Pass free opening thing, I would have researched alternate broadcasts. He thinks Matisse Thybulle's last name is pronounced "Thumball". Shrug.

4) James Ennis III. OMG, I know Bret Brown likes the guy enough to re-sign him- likely based off some random quality playoff minutes last year. But last night, Ennis was the deer and the basketball, Celtics players, dribbling, the rim, and putting one foot in front of the other were headlights. How do you get called for a charge during a four-on-two fast break?? In 17 minutes, he acquired 5 awful fouls and was a -12 +/-. I was honestly (for real) hoping that he'd just foul out to get him off the floor.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 10-24-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

8. Likes:

goreds2 (10-25-2019),Kingspoint (10-25-2019),M2 (10-25-2019),Revering4Blue (10-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Nice hot take, but let's pump the brakes? He's good but I'm not enshrining him the HOF after one season.
    True. So much he has to learn still.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Stotts likes to divide the season into 16 5-game segments. If you win them (go 3-2) you get to 48 wins with two to play. It really helps the over-reactions while keeping the focus on present goals and continued growth. Also divides the Defensive Ratings into 8 10-game segments and 4 20-game segments.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Nice hot take, but let's pump the brakes? He's good but I'm not enshrining him the HOF after one season.
    It was kind of intended as a hot take. Not sure people thought he would be this good so quickly. He is already the leader of that team.

Maybe Vlade could get down on his knees and apologise to Joeger and right the ship. Divac's ego has Sacramento where they are right now. He is a bad G.M. He blows through Coaches. Finally gets a good one and then interferes so much that the only way to fix the relationship in Divac's mind is to end it. The Cousins issue?

Sacramento can't go forward until they get rid of him.

DEN was 18-32 from "3", and 16-49 from "2". POR outscored them 54-22 in the paint.

I'll skip the officiating saying only that when Scott Foster was introduced he got a deserving round of boos.

DEN never puts a bad player on the floor for 48 minutes.

POR's Starters built an early 15-pt lead, and then Stotts began his search for a 2nd unit. They looked like IND's and PHI's attempts to find second units.....ugly as all get out. The 15-pt lead that took a whole quarter to earn was gone in 3 minutes.

POR may have a first half issue with defending the "3" with so many new players who aren't as good of defenders in this area as Aminu, Harkless and Turner were. Traditionally, chasing guys off the "3" line is Stotts' bread-and-butter, but he also lost his top Assistant Coach to MIN (noticed Shabazz had a +17, while Vonleh and Layman were also in the positive +/- against the NETS).

Going to be a season long search for developing a 2nd unit for POR, IND and PHI, along with many of the teams that changed their personnel. If Shai hadn't had such a high usage rate, OKC would have beaten UTA. But, he had negative plays most of the game, continuing to be bailed out by Chris Paul, Gallinari and Conley misses (which won't happen again).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-25-2019 at 11:53 AM.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Joel Embiid (right ankle sprain) did not practice on Friday and is questionable for Saturday's game vs. the Pistons.

Embiid tallied 15 points and 13 rebounds in 23 minutes in the Sixers season-opener on Wednesday. Unfortunately, he apparently sprained his ankle in the contest. Embiid also had a bloody nose and lip after taking an elbow from Jaylen Brown, which forced him to undergo a dental procedure after the game. Embiid told reporters earlier this month that he hopes to play over 70 games this season.

SOURCE: Kyle Neubeck on Twitter

Buddy Hield (left ankle sprain) went through shootaround and will start Friday against the Blazers.

Buddy tweaked his ankle on Wednesday when he stepped on Deandre Ayton's foot, but was able to play through the injury. He was initially listed as questionable;e for Friday. Fortunately, it hasn't gotten any worse and he's good to go for the matchup with Portland.

SOURCE: James Ham on Twitter

Coach Erik Spoelstra said that Jimmy Butler (personal) will not travel with the team for their two-game road trip, missing Saturday's game vs. the Bucks and Sunday's matchup with the Wolves.

Butler is with his family following the birth of his daughter. Kendrick Nunn will start again on Saturday following his 24-point explosion in the season opener. Tyler Herro is expected to draw another start, as well. Goran Dragic, Derrick Jones Jr. and Justise Winslow will also benefit this weekend.

SOURCE: David Wilson on Twitter

Nemanja Bjelica will replace Marvin Bagley (fractured thumb opening night, out 4-6 weeks) in the Kings' starting lineup on Friday vs. Portland.

Coach Luke Walton said Bjelica was his "initial thought" to replace Bagley, and Walton stuck with his gut. Bjelica is worth consideration in DFS this evening. He started 70 games last season and averaged 9.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.7 blocks and 1.3 triples in those contests.

SOURCE: James Ham on Twitter

Jeremy Lamb (hip pointer) is questionable for Saturday's game vs. the Cavs.

Lamb scored 10 points with four rebounds, three assists, one steal and two turnovers in 26 minutes in the Hornets season-opener on Wednesday. However, he apparently suffered a hip pointer in the process. Lamb was unable to practice on Thursday and was limited in practice on Friday. If Lamb is unable to suit up on Saturday, Edmond Sumner, Doug McDermott and Justin Holiday would soak up extended minutes. Malcolm Brogdon might be asked to slide over and play some SG as well.

SOURCE: J. Michael on Twitter

Coach Brad Stevens said that Enes Kanter (left knee contusion) won't play Friday vs. the Raptors or Saturday vs. the Knicks.

We learned yesterday that Kanter had been ruled out Friday, but Stevens confirmed he will sit out the back end of a back-to-back as well. Daniel Theis and Robert Williams should soak up the majority of minutes at center in Kanter's absence. In addition, Vincent Poirier may make his Celtics debut.

SOURCE: A. Sherrod Blakely on Twitter

Aron Baynes will start at center for the Suns on Friday in place of Deandre Ayton (suspension).

Ayton has been suspended 25 games for violating NBA’s Anti-Drug policy with a positive test for a diuretic. As the team's starting center, Baynes should see 20+ minutes a night and is worth a look in deep leagues. Cheick Diallo and Frank Kaminsky will also see increased playing time with Ayton out of the mix.

SOURCE: Kevin Zimmerman on Twitter

Cody Zeller (personal) has been ruled out of Friday's game vs. the Wolves.

Zeller played well in the Hornets season-opener, tallying 15 points and 12 rebounds in 35 minutes vs. the Bulls on Wednesday. However, he did not attend Thursday's practice due to personal reasons. Hopefully, all is well. Willy Hernangomez and Bismack Biyombo will likely divvy up minutes at center. And rising rookie PJ Washington should once again see all the minutes he can handle.

SOURCE: Hornets PR on Twitter

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Elfrid Payton will start at point guard on Friday vs. the Nets.

This was the expectation with coach David Fizdale talking him up after his 11-8-2 line with five steals in the opener. Payton has efficiency concerns but can certainly fill up a stat sheet, so he's the PG to own in New York until further notice.

Mitchell Robinson (ankle) is in the starting lineup on Friday vs. the Nets.

There was some concern that coach David Fizdale would pull a David Fizdale and bring Robinson off the bench, but it's a relief to see the breakout candidate in the starting five. If he can fend off foul trouble, messy rotations and injury concerns, Robinson is a safe bet to lead the NBA in blocked shots.

SOURCE: Mike Vorkunov on Twitter

Bojan Bogdanovic (ankle) will not play vs. the Lakers on Friday.

It was a surprise to see him return from a scary ankle injury in the first half, but hopefully it won't keep him out for long. The Jazz did some two-PG lineups with Emmanuel Mudiay on Wednesday and they'll be comfortable extending the minutes for Joe Ingles and Royce O'Neale, as well. Jeff Green also figures to get a little boost with more forward minutes available.

SOURCE: Jazz on Twitter

Reggie Jackson (lower back tightness) is questionable Saturday against the 76ers.

He suffered a back injury on Wednesday, it was bothering him in the first half on Thursday, and eventually he had to tap out in the second half of Wednesday's column. Jackson is likely to be limited for at least the next couple days, so he'll be a tough player to trust in the short term. If he can't go, Tim Frazier would enter the rotation while this would help Derrick Rose and Luke Kennard.

SOURCE: NBA.com

Flipped over to the Mavericks-Pelicans game for a few minutes. Two observations:

- Brandon Ingram gave a perfect example of what's wrong with Brandon Ingram. Isolated on Jalen Brunson, on whom he's got six inches, he worked himself into a 15-foot, turnaround, fade away jumper. And, no he did not make that shot.

- Luka Doncic is playing a different game than everybody else.

Devonte' Graham scored 24 in a loss tonight (to the 2-0 Wolves). He's on fire from outside the 3-point arc.

I need to read thread titles closer. I though it said Banned In China (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It wasn't DEN's shooting, it was POR's Defense of the '3'. Supposedly, their main focus on the night, they still allowed SAC to shoot 10-18 from '3' in the 1st half. Repeated open looks in transition, poor communication in transition. But, that's what Fox does with the push he makes on Offense. Everybody shoots the three well in this league and you can't leave them open anymore. POR held them to 5-19 from '3' in the 2nd half, and along with Whiteside's 16 3rd quarter points and Lillard time in the 4th, that was the game.

DEN shot like crap vs PHO.

Turn Off Ads?