Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2020 nominees

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2020 nominees

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I liked some Depeche Mode offerings though, especially Ordinary World.
    Did Depeche Mode do a song called Ordinary World or are you thinking of the Duran Duran song? I don't know the former's catalog well.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I really don’t understand what musical purpose the Rn’R hall of Fame intends to strive for. Musically, it seems to arbitrarily pick and choose between commercial Americana, AOR, prog rock, white Brit faux blues rock, and a lot of pop music that Americans think is “serious”.
    When you leave out Slayer and Pantera, you can’t say it represents heavy metal well. If you leave out Nick Cave and Joy División, you can’t it represents post-punk well. And the rap and reggae artists they choose make me think of the awful Rolling stone reviews of those idioms.
    There is no place for American indie rock, IDM, experimental rock, and many great non-British or non-American artists.

To sum up my confusion, Elton John is in and the Sex Pistols and Slayer are not. EJ is pop. The other two are key punk and metal artists that changed the industry and are giants in their idioms.
    And U2 is in,but Brian Eno is not. U2 is pop. Eno is a sound creating genius.
    Sex Pistols were inducted in 2006 but they want nothing to do with the hall of fame
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Did Depeche Mode do a song called Ordinary World or are you thinking of the Duran Duran song? I don't know the former's catalog well.
    You are correct. I got my bands mixed up.

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus.

I could listen to that every day.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Johnny Cash's cover is better.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I had to listen to it every day in college. I got so tired of it that I made up my own "Weird Al" parody called "Your Own Personal Pan Pizza."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-18-2020),M2 (01-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Tre View Post
    Sex Pistols were inducted in 2006 but they want nothing to do with the hall of fame
    They sent a nice letter.

Lydon is always good for a strong opinion. Did you know he’s a US citizen? He is also about the only public figure I can think of to praise POTUS Obama and Trump.

Turn Off Ads?