Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2020 nominees

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2020 nominees

My 2 cents, heavily biased.. In general, I think they have reached the "let everyone in" point.. So I am not going to get upset if they all get in. Deleted the ones that I really don't have the knowledge to comment on.

Here's who we've got:

Pat Benatar - Easy yes..

Dave Matthews Band - I guess so. Not a huge fan, but worse bands are in.

Depeche Mode - Strong yes.

The Doobie Brothers - The "Tommy John" of the Rock and Roll hall of fame, did not dominate, but good longevity.

Whitney Houston - No, I don't really want any syrupy pop bands in.. That said, she probably makes it , if not this year, eventually.

Judas Priest - Not a "First ballot", but yea might as well let them in I guess.
    Kind of the Harold Baines of the RR HOF.

MC5 - no

Motorhead - I guess, worst have gotten in.

Nine Inch Nails - yes

The Notorious B.I.G. - no

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - no. As far as I know, only one mainstream "hit".
    I am sure someone will correct me on that, but I don't even understand why this is nominated.. This isn't the rap hall of fame.

Todd Rundgren -No. I just don't think his whole body of work is worthy.

Soundgarden - yes.

T.Rex - no

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Is this like the baseball HoF? Fundamental debate of big hall or small hall?

If it's a small hall I don't see how anyone on that list is worthy except for Biggie.
    I think it's already a big hall.
    And to be honest, it kind of has to be a big hall.. Otherwise, maybe 10-20 bands get in and they only open the doors every 10 years or so
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

goreds2 (11-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wait until the KLF gets in
    They're justified and ancient.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

5. Likes:

M2 (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Pat Benatar, Soundgarden.

Just say no to Kraftwerk, we dont need influential bands we need bands who actually did it and were successful.
    I dated a girl that simply loved them. Played them constantly. Didn't see what the big deal was.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-22-2019 at 05:24 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-02-2019)

I look at that list and think "Yeah, there's a few that should get consideration, loved some of those bands/artists, but I'm certainly not overwhelmed by any of them, and are they really Hall of Fame material? I don't know what the criteria is anymore?.. # of top hits, records sold? Highly influential to the music culture as a songwriter/contributor, yet never reaching "superstar" status?

Carol King, Steve Winwood, Harry Nilsson, and Warren Zevon. Why no Peter, Paul, and Mary looking at their influence on folk music? And while they weren't my particular fancy, how about the first all female band to score a No. 1 album that was completely written and recorded by themselves (the Go-Gos)? How about Duran Duran who sold over 100M albums?

I loved the Doobie Brothers (before McDonald) as well as Thin Lizzy, Golden Earring, Mott the Hopple, and Brownsville Station back in the 70s. No Bad Company or Foreigner? Jethro Tull wasn't progressive, influential?

Does the Hall shy away from C&W performers? Because there's definitely a huge miscarriage there. And they seem to purposely ignore Southern Rock, other then Skynyrd and the Allmans. Marshall Tucker should be in there IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

How many of the voting members are old Brits? This will affect T-Rex getting in. How many are corporate lackies? This will affect Whitney Houston getting in. There's a lot of influential people on that list, but very little that's to my taste.

I don't want to see Dave Matthews go in until Phish goes in. Better songs. Better concerts.

Some notable historical snubs. I agree with about 25% of these: https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-fame-snubs/2/
    Stick to your guns.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2019)

I know somebody said this before me but the fact remains --- Zevon must have run over Jann Werner's dog.

12. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-12-2019),westofyou (01-15-2020)

Congratulations to the newest Inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

In the Performer Category:

Depeche Mode
    The Doobie Brothers
    Whitney Houston
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    T. Rex

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-inductees

Kinda off topic, but what is the definition of Rock and Roll these days? Is rock and roll just a synonymous term for popular music? When I think of "rock stars" only about half of these inductees would fall into my ideal. I'm not saying that the others aren't incredibly talented and deserving, I'm just thinking that the type of music they performed was something other than rock.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

15. Likes:

Chip R (01-15-2020),Dom Heffner (01-15-2020),texasdave (01-15-2020)

People have been making comments like that for a couple decades now. They've already included a lof of musicians that definitely weren't rock. They really should change the name.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Did I miss Kraftwerk?

What is it that I don't get about Depeche Mode? To me, they're just another new wave group, and not a particularly exciting one. I remember hearing about them and XTC around the same time and paying attention to XTC (Senses Working Overtime is still a favorite). Obviously, I'm missing something.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I would agree with you that XTC > Depeche Mode. I liked some Depeche Mode offerings though, especially Ordinary World. I never thought either band was Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame worthy.

Last edited by texasdave; 01-16-2020 at 12:30 PM.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (01-16-2020)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    What is it that I don't get about Depeche Mode? To me, they're just another new wave group, and not a particularly exciting one. I remember hearing about them and XTC around the same time and paying attention to XTC (Senses Working Overtime is still a favorite). Obviously, I'm missing something.
    I do not think they are special at all. Heck the Go Go's probably deserve to be on a ballot before them.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

Some notable historical snubs. I agree with about 25% of these: https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-fame-snubs/2/
    I would put 13-15 of the groups on that list into the Hall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

I would put 13-15 of the groups on that list into the Hall.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I really don’t understand what musical purpose the Rn’R hall of Fame intends to strive for. Musically, it seems to arbitrarily pick and choose between commercial Americana, AOR, prog rock, white Brit faux blues rock, and a lot of pop music that Americans think is “serious”.
    When you leave out Slayer and Pantera, you can’t say it represents heavy metal well. If you leave out Nick Cave and Joy División, you can’t it represents post-punk well. And the rap and reggae artists they choose make me think of the awful Rolling stone reviews of those idioms.
    There is no place for American indie rock, IDM, experimental rock, and many great non-British or non-American artists.

To sum up my confusion, Elton John is in and the Sex Pistols and Slayer are not. EJ is pop. The other two are key punk and metal artists that changed the industry and are giants in their idioms.
    And U2 is in,but Brian Eno is not. U2 is pop. Eno is a sound creating genius.
    Last edited by Betterread; 01-16-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Turn Off Ads?