Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

Re: MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

The original 42 teams (the list has supposedly been modified a bit) kills off the Chattanooga Lookouts and the Daytona Tortugas

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/1...town-baseball/
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope that's right. There's supposed to be an announcement Wed.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The original 42 teams (the list has supposedly been modified a bit) kills off the Chattanooga Lookouts and the Daytona Tortugas

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/1...town-baseball/
    So by my count the Reds have their Arizona complex league, Dayton, and Louisville. Any speculation on who they'd add as the AA replacement? Or if they'll promote Dayton and add an A-ball affiliate instead?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    So by my count the Reds have their Arizona complex league, Dayton, and Louisville. Any speculation on who they'd add as the AA replacement? Or if they'll promote Dayton and add an A-ball affiliate instead?
    They don't really have Louisville right now, either. The PDC is up after 2020. There's a chance that they get another Triple-A affiliate, too.

6. Likes:

North (04-23-2020),WrongVerb (04-22-2020)

I assume they'd keep Louisville but ya never know.

Article in Chattanooga paper indicates that they aren't telling the individual teams anything.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ere-ri/521178/

Owner seems to think they are ok based on math. I don't see his logic.

There was prior article that Bowling Green Ky (Hot Rods) might go to AA. That might make sense as new Reds AA club if this goes down.

8. Likes:

WrongVerb (04-22-2020)

1. Support local independent league baseball. That's going to be what's on offer near a lot of us.

2. Seems like it's probably time to pull MLB's antitrust exemption.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (04-22-2020),Chip R (04-28-2020),North (04-22-2020),redsmetz (04-23-2020),Revering4Blue (04-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    1. Support local independent league baseball. That's going to be what's on offer near a lot of us.

2. Seems like it's probably time to pull MLB's antitrust exemption.
    All in on point #2.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (04-23-2020),BillDoran (04-22-2020),Bourgeois Zee (04-26-2020),muddie (04-26-2020),Tom Servo (04-22-2020)

What an incredibly frustrating move by MLB. I imagine they'll use the financial straits caused by coronavirus as cover, but in the beginning the MLB argument was about ballpark and training conditions. But it's really hard not be cynical about this.

Bottom line, there's going to be a lot less professional baseball played in America over the next decade, and the primary motivation was owners finding it too costly. Infuriating.

14. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-26-2020),Revering4Blue (04-24-2020),Tom Servo (04-22-2020)

The 5 round draft seems to be a transition to this strategy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-26-2020),North (04-23-2020),Revering4Blue (04-24-2020)

This contraction fiasco was originally referred to as, ‘The Houston Plan.’ It is the brainchild of Jeff Luhnow and some of his cronies. Manfred, who has no regard for the integrity of this great game whatsoever, jumped on board with all 30 owners in working to contract the minors. Luhnow, the overseer of a team that cheated to win a WS and go largely unpunished, is the author of MiLB contraction.
    There was a report out yesterday evening that MiLB had agreed to contract the 42 teams, including Chattanooga. The Chattanooga Lookouts posted a response to that report last night stating that it was inaccurate and negotiations are continuing, for what it’s worth. That report failed to identify a specific source.
    I think MLB will win out on this, unfortunately.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    This contraction fiasco was originally referred to as, ‘The Houston Plan.’ It is the brainchild of Jeff Luhnow and some of his cronies. Manfred, who has no regard for the integrity of this great game whatsoever, jumped on board with all 30 owners in working to contract the minors. Luhnow, the overseer of a team that cheated to win a WS and go largely unpunished, is the author of MiLB contraction.
    There was a report out yesterday evening that MiLB had agreed to contract the 42 teams, including Chattanooga. The Chattanooga Lookouts posted a response to that report last night stating that it was inaccurate and negotiations are continuing, for what it’s worth. That report failed to identify a specific source.
    I think MLB will win out on this, unfortunately.
    Any report that listed Chattanooga, or any other team as for sure being contracted, isn't paying attention. Chattanooga was on the original list we saw months ago. That list has been changing since then, we just haven't seen a new or "updated" list. We do know that some teams that were on the original list aren't anymore - just not sure which teams are on/off.

But I think there's a very important distinction to be noted in the Lookouts release. It says "The Lookouts firmly believe that there will be Lookouts baseball in Chattanooga next season and on into the future" for it's final sentence. That's always been on the table. The question is whether that team will have an MiLB affiliation or whether they will be a part of some other, weird, semi-pro or college summer league non-MiLB affiliated team. That last sentence doesn't state they firmly believe they will be affiliated. It says they firmly believe they'll have a team.

19. Likes:

muddie (04-26-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Here’s hoping our Lexington Legends (Royals low-A) gets an independent team. It’s a great park and averaged between 4-5,000 a game, and they’d won back-to-back Sally league championships. I don’t think the minor league affiliation had anything to do with attendance; people just like going to the ballpark.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

21. Likes:

North (04-26-2020),rgslone (04-27-2020)

The Lexington Legends did show that people in Central & Eastern KY still like going to the ballpark to watch baseball - even a team for which they don't have a strong rooting interest. But I believe that if the Legends had been affiliated with the Reds the interest and attendance would have been much, much greater.

23. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (05-01-2020),camisadelgolf (04-27-2020)

What ability do MLB teams have to move their minor league teams after this contraction takes place. Seems like in the past teams were moving their farm teams around all the time. If Lexington gets contracted seems like that would be a great place to put a Reds farm team when/if MLB have that option again. It's be great to have the Reds AA team there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    What ability do MLB teams have to move their minor league teams after this contraction takes place. Seems like in the past teams were moving their farm teams around all the time. If Lexington gets contracted seems like that would be a great place to put a Reds farm team when/if MLB have that option again. It's be great to have the Reds AA team there.
    If Lexington gets cut, there is zero chance of them being the AA team. Zero.

Turn Off Ads?