Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

Re: MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the main issue here is that major league teams are saying we don't need 7 minor league affiliates in order to develop 3 players a year. Once you decide you want to cut that number to say 4, then it only makes sense to cut the ones that are subpar. In other words, it's not a matter of raising the standards of the subpar facilities.
    The Reds recently expanded their minor leagues, adding a new team. So it seems they don’t agree that they need fewer minor league teams.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Obviously this is about $$, but it's a little heartbreaking that the powers that be in the MLB don't take a more serious role in growing the game nationally. In my view, we have a problem of not enough kids playing baseball. In the last 15-20 years, it seems we've had a significant decline in community-based baseball. I'm not even sure if the Knothole leagues still exist in Cincinnati. If you're not playing on the best travel teams or jetting around the country to the best showcases, it seems you're told to don't bother with baseball, go back to the video games.

This decision to me would exacerbate that problem. It would reduce the opportunities for kids and communities to engage and interact with the game. And that's not a good thing for the long-term health of the sport. Instead of exposing people to the game's next generation of potential stars across the country, we'll groom our prospects in the labs at our training facilities. Maybe I'm being too much of a romantic, but the fact this was even proposed publicly bums me out a little.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-20-2019),North (11-20-2019),Tuff Nut (11-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Nah.

The main issue is that major league teams want to save money in any way possible, and they recognize the possibility that they'll eventually have to pay more than a couple of dollars an hour to their employees. They're also hoping that many of these guys go independent so that those lottery tickets that might pay off can still be salvaged while the flotsam can float away on some other guy's dime.

It's a cash grab, plain and simple.
    Why the "nah"? We agree. Going from about 7 to 4 minor league teams is a way to save money

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds recently expanded their minor leagues, adding a new team. So it seems they don’t agree that they need fewer minor league teams.
    It does make you wonder if all 30 teams are behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why the "nah"? We agree. Going from about 7 to 4 minor league teams is a way to save money

- - - Updated - - -

It does make you wonder if all 30 teams are behind this.
    IMO the smaller markets, like the Reds, will be in favor of this. It levels the playing field. Everybody will have five teams including complex ball. Reds did increase by one, but they trailed the field; they increased to be competitive. Perhaps larger markets - like the Yankees who now have about 8 teams - might be less excited.

You have to wait to see how this all pans out. Some restructuring is probably in order. If I were a team owner I’d wonder why I’m supporting so many teams that have so few prospects on the whole.

If there’s a void in some communities, there may be ways to fill them. HS, College ball, independent teams, and then internet and TV. Restructuring seems inevitable, we’ll see what the final plan is and how it works out.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-20-2019 at 04:24 PM.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-20-2019)

For the record the Reds didn't expand their minor league affiliates. They cut their second Dominican Summer League team when they added Greenville.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    For the record the Reds didn't expand their minor league affiliates. They cut their second Dominican Summer League team when they added Greenville.
    Thanks for the correction.

However, the Dominican Summer League team was more like the organizational camps that will replace some of the teams affiliates that are planned for contraction.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    IMO the smaller markets, like the Reds, will be in favor of this. It levels the playing field.
    Not likely.

If an Indy guy breaks out and becomes a true star, teams with big pockets can sign him (or purchase his contract from his independent club) to a larger contract.

Not likely.

If an Indy guy breaks out and becomes a true star, teams with big pockets can sign him (or purchase his contract from his independent club) to a larger contract.
    So what? The odds are astronomically against this happening.

250+ players debuting each year - a half dozen or so are NDFA's

Not to mention, it counts towards their draft pool - just like Friedl counted against the Reds'.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 11-20-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    IMO the smaller markets, like the Reds, will be in favor of this. It levels the playing field. Everybody will have five teams including complex ball. Reds did increase by one, but they trailed the field; they increased to be competitive. Perhaps larger markets - like the Yankees who now have about 8 teams - might be less excited.

You have to wait to see how this all pans out. Some restructuring is probably in order. If I were a team owner I’d wonder why I’m supporting so many teams that have so few prospects on the whole.

If there’s a void in some communities, there may be ways to fill them. HS, College ball, independent teams, and then internet and TV. Restructuring seems inevitable, we’ll see what the final plan is and how it works out.
    You might have something here. People that don't live within 50 miles or so of a MLB team should just forget the bigs. And focus on amateur baseball. Cancel FS Ohio and don't take trips and spend money to see millionaires.

Not likely.

Kind of doubt there will be concern about big dollar bidding on Indy league “true stars.” Not sure that will be a common event. I’d guess smaller markets will welcome restructuring of the minors if it will reduce their operating costs and require all teams to have five minor league teams total.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-20-2019 at 11:25 PM.

The players wanted to raise wages. It caused the owners realized they had a few too many employees. It's business. I don't think children will notice the difference between rookie ball and Independent league ball.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    The players wanted to raise wages. It caused the owners realized they had a few too many employees. It's business. I don't think children will notice the difference between rookie ball and Independent league ball.
    The problem is the children will realize the difference between rookie ball and no team being there, which is what will happen to probably 80% of the teams eliminated.

People show up in Greeneville to watch Jonathan India play. They aren't showing up to watch Andy Pitcher, guy who would have been the 33rd round draft pick if his draft round still existed.

16. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-23-2019)

My only quibble with that, doug, is that I think people WOULD generally show up to watch a team full of Andy Pitchers...so long as they are associated with a Major League club and success at that level meant they were going to step up the organizational ladder and possibly make it to the MLB squad eventually. Even if that chances of that happening for most of the players was relatively remote. The occasional Jonathan India is just a bonus (and probably does bring a few additional fans).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    My only quibble with that, doug, is that I think people WOULD generally show up to watch a team full of Andy Pitchers...so long as they are associated with a Major League club and success at that level meant they were going to step up the organizational ladder and possibly make it to the MLB squad eventually. Even if that chances of that happening for most of the players was relatively remote. The occasional Jonathan India is just a bonus (and probably does bring a few additional fans).
    But they aren't going to be associated with the Major League clubs. What MLB is proposing is literally just them saying "you're now just like the Florence Freedom - we'll buy the occasional player from you who shows they are better than the other guys in the league for $1000".

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But they aren't going to be associated with the Major League clubs. What MLB is proposing is literally just them saying "you're now just like the Florence Freedom - we'll buy the occasional player from you who shows they are better than the other guys in the league for $1000".
    Yep, we're on the same page. My point is how important that MLB affiliation is. Even for the exact same quality of baseball. Which is why I hate this.

Turn Off Ads?