Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on The Joker?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Thoughts on The Joker?

One way to measure the greatness of art is that so many different people with different points of view can get out of it what they want. Some see a celebration of incel culture, while others see embodiment of progressivism, and others may see just a film filled with violence. The good news is all of those views are right -- if that's what you need to get out of it, then cool. That just means as an art form, it's a damn good movie.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    One way to measure the greatness of art is that so many different people with different points of view can get out of it what they want. Some see a celebration of incel culture, while others see embodiment of progressivism, and others may see just a film filled with violence. The good news is all of those views are right -- if that's what you need to get out of it, then cool. That just means as an art form, it's a damn good movie.
    I saw those elements but, to me, none of them were the focal point of the movie.

As to what was, well...open for interpretation. I found it to be a discourse on breaking points and the pressures of being.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

It’s an uncomfortable movie to watch, but it’s about mental illness and violence so that makes sense. I didn’t think it really glorified any lifestyle or made any political arguments.

Phoenix is tremendous, but he pretty much always is.

5. Likes:

M2 (10-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yeah, but by this measure, High School Musical is great art
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

It was simultaneously good and completely predictable. The result was it took a long time to get where we always knew it was going, even if it was well executed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It was simultaneously good and completely predictable. The result was it took a long time to get where we always knew it was going, even if it was well executed.
    To be fair, that could be a critique of most prequels.

The "get where we always knew it was going" part is why we watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    To be fair, that could be a critique of most prequels.

The "get where we always knew it was going" part is why we watch them.
    Yeah, but even the details seemed a bit obvious. I didn't find the parts that were supposed to surprise us to be much of a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yeah, but even the details seemed a bit obvious. I didn't find the parts that were supposed to surprise us to be much of a surprise.
    No, I agree. Not many surprises there. I guess my only disappointment with the film was that it wasn't totally in canon. Especially the Thomas Wayne storyline.

But still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    No, I agree. Not many surprises there. I guess my only disappointment with the film was that it wasn't totally in canon. Especially the Thomas Wayne storyline.

But still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I liked it too. It was really well acted and directed.

I went to see it over the weekend, I wouldn’t say I liked it. It made me feel uncomfortable and on edge.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-04-2019)

Turn Off Ads?