Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving with cats advice

Re: Moving with cats advice

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Thanks, Red Heeler! I hoped a week or two would be enough. When I had the females spayed a few years ago, I kept them sheltered in one of our empty bedrooms for a week with no problems. After they venture outdoors, I hope to put in a pet door in the enclosed porch so they can come and go as they please.

I honestly appreciate all the advice everyone has offered. We close on the new home on Monday so the big move could be by Thanksgiving. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again to all.
    I honestly appreciate all you do for animals...It's impressive

2. Likes:

dfs (11-16-2019),Revering4Blue (11-16-2019),Spitball (11-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I honestly appreciate all you do for animals...It's impressive
    Thank you, SR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes:

Spitball (11-18-2019)

A little late to the thread but honestly, I'd never take a cats advice on anything.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-04-2019),Spitball (12-06-2019)

Good one, SunDeck! You have highlighted the importance of the apostrophe S.

We have made the move and finally have internet. The dogs made the move with few problems. The inside cats were pretty quiet during the move and now seem to love exploring the new environment. Unfortunately, the outside cats are still back at the old house that is three hours away. I paid a friend $20 a day to feed them for ten days, and then asked the crazy cat lady across the street to feed them. That lasted four days before I started to worry about the cats' safety. She has 16 cats in her garage and various rooms in her house. She does not believe these cats should be outside for any reason. We have a security camera on the porch, and I could actually see anger each time she would cross the street.

So, yesterday I asked a friend of my son's to come to feed them in the morning and afternoon for $10 a day. She lives in our neighborhood and loves animals, but she apparently doesn't know about the security cameras. Despite the agreement she would feed them in the morning and afternoon, she showed up at 2:00 PM this afternoon and then not again.

I'm converting the back shed at our new home into a temporary cat kennel and am almost finished. We are going back Friday, and I hope to bring them back with us. Unfortunately, the longer we stay away, the harder it is to establish that important trust and timely routine I'll need to corral them.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-04-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

The outside cats have been relocated to our new home for about a month now, and they seem to be doing pretty well. At first, it was not easy convincing them to cooperate with the move, but eventually they missed the regular meals and were pretty easily coaxed into cages. Right now, two cats are pretty regularly there for morning and evening meals, but one female seems to have become an outsider. She comes around and eats but there is always someone hissing and running off. The three are a mama and her adult son and daughter. They been a very close family for three plus years so I hope they come back together especially as the weather gets colder.

Anyway, I think we have had a fairly successful transition from one location to another. I thank everyone for their advice and concerns.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-13-2020),Kinsm (01-13-2020),North (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The outside cats have been relocated to our new home for about a month now, and they seem to be doing pretty well. At first, it was not easy convincing them to cooperate with the move, but eventually they missed the regular meals and were pretty easily coaxed into cages. Right now, two cats are pretty regularly there for morning and evening meals, but one female seems to have become an outsider. She comes around and eats but there is always someone hissing and running off. The three are a mama and her adult son and daughter. They been a very close family for three plus years so I hope they come back together especially as the weather gets colder.

Anyway, I think we have had a fairly successful transition from one location to another. I thank everyone for their advice and concerns.
    Stray Cat
    by Francis Witham

“Oh, what unhappy twist of fate
    Has brought you homeless to my gate?
    The gate where once another stood
    To beg for shelter, warmth, and food

For from that day I ceased to be
    The master of my destiny.
    While he, with purr and velvet paw
    Became within my house the law.

He scratched the furniture and shed
    And claimed the middle of my bed.
    He ruled in arrogance and pride
    And broke my heart the day he died.

So if you really think, oh Cat,
    I’d willingly relive all that
    Because you come forlorn and thin
    Well…don’t just stand there…Come on in!"

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-13-2020),Spitball (01-23-2020)

Turn Off Ads?