Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 MLB Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

2019-2020 MLB Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions

Now that the offseason is here, we need a thread. If the mods could sticky this please.

Grandal declines his player option...

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman

Yasmani Grandal will decline $16M option, take $2.25M option and become free agent. He won gamble to take 1 year deal in Milwaukee for $18.25M total rather than sign longterm w/Mets ($60M, 4 year reported offer). He can’t receive another qualifying offer and should get huge deal.
    8:16pm · 31 Oct 2019
    - - - Updated - - -

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman

KC Royals will decline Alex Gordon’s $23M option, buy him out for $4M and hope to bring him back at a rate that makes sense.
    8:10pm · 31 Oct 2019
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2019-2020 MLB Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions

Kyle Glaser
    @KyleAGlaser

Among the players to have officially become free agents today: Josh Donaldson, Dallas Keuchel, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Abreu, Cole Hamels, Rick Porcello, Ben Zobrist, Nicholas Castellanos, Yasiel Puig, Hunter Pence, Adam Jones, Logan Forsythe, Steve Pearce (cont.)
    8:00pm · 31 Oct 2019

Kyle Glaser
    @KyleAGlaser

Matt Moore, Jarrod Dyson, Wade LeBlanc, Hector Santiago, Wilmer Flores, Alex Avila, Mark Trumbo, Alex Wood, Tyson Ross.

More to come, obviously.
    8:01pm · 31 Oct 2019
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

3. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

The Suds Duds paid Grandal $16M and got even more than they bargained for. Can't see them balk at QO'ing him when all that would be at risk would be one more year at $17-18M. Don't think i'd be willing to sacrifice our 1st rounder to sign him. Ditto Didi.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    The Suds Duds paid Grandal $16M and got even more than they bargained for. Can't see them balk at QO'ing him when all that would be at risk would be one more year at $17-18M. Don't think i'd be willing to sacrifice our 1st rounder to sign him. Ditto Didi.
    He can't be QOd. Only once per career and he has already been QOd.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

Don't think they can QO him again. That's a one time thing.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

Grandal turned down a QO last year so he's not eligible for a QO this year.

Edit: just saw he can't be QOed again, but thnis about the process in general:

The rules have changed, we would not lose 1st round pick.. Teams in the Reds situation would lose either the 2nd or 3rd pick (count includes competitive balance rounds, etc)
    I can not remember all the details, but this change was intended to kill the "penalty" for signing free agents. No big deal to lose these picks, IMO.hi
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Here are every team's free agents this winter

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-2020-f...every-mlb-team

Reds first move this offseason should have been announcing a 5 year/50M (similar to Snell) extension with Castillo in my opinion. Would have sounded a lot better than picking up the option on Freddy Galvis.

CBS Sports: 10 way-too-early predictions for 2020 MLB season

8. Reds win NL Central

My guess is the front office in Cincy takes an aggressive approach this offseason and it translates to success on the field.

The Reds endured a disappointing campaign in 2019 after being active last offseason and during the season as well. Each of their adds produced at a high level, including a bounce-back All-Star season from Sonny Gray. They will have a three-headed monster leading the staff in Gray, Luis Castillo and Trevor Bauer, while Eugenio Suarez will look to build off his 49 home runs in 2019.

St. Louis should be favorites to repeat as division champs, but the Cubs have a new manager, Milwaukee has pitching issues and Pittsburgh is rebuilding. This division is right there for the taking.
    LINK

14. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-04-2019),Edd Roush (11-01-2019)

He's old, but I'd take a flier on Pat Neshek. He was mostly injured last year, but put up great numbers in the years prior.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-01-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    He's old, but I'd take a flier on Pat Neshek. He was mostly injured last year, but put up great numbers in the years prior.
    Neshek was very good in 2014 and 2017. Every other year he has been mediocre at best. I would be good with a minor league deal with a big league camp invite, but I do not think he is even worth a guaranteed roster spot.

Per Rosenthal Twitter:

Sources confirm: Carlos Beltran is the #Mets ‘ choice to be their new manager. First reported: @AnthonyDiComo and @sidrosenberg.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

Chip R (11-04-2019),REDREAD (11-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Per Rosenthal Twitter:

Sources confirm: Carlos Beltran is the #Mets ‘ choice to be their new manager. First reported: @AnthonyDiComo and @sidrosenberg.
    Its official.

Juan Lagares and Joe Panik available. More fodder for those looking to fill positions with any mediocrity that may come along before the off-season is a week old.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

WrongVerb (11-02-2019)

Moustakas declines option and is a FA. Need to go after him

23. Likes:

mth123 (11-01-2019),Old school 1983 (11-02-2019),REDREAD (11-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?