Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds to pick up Galvis option

Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I'd be happy to add him after the winter has played itself out. Now it seems like the team is settling for another year of sub-.500.
    Sub-.500 because of Freddie Galvis? Overreaction.

Heyman’s tweet called Galvis a “great defender” today. He had 52 extra base hits this season. He’s a low OBP hitter but if he hits seventh or eighth in the lineup he’s a positive factor.

It always was likely Reds would exercise. It costs them $4.5 million (over and above the buyout cost) which is very reasonable for a starting player. Reds can now seek stars or near-stars to fill a couple of other positions.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-31-2019 at 11:24 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds can acquire a CFer and pair Senzel/Galvis in middle infield.
    I choose this one.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019),RiverRat13 (11-02-2019),TRF (11-01-2019),[deleted] (11-01-2019)

Side thought, this might be more of a statement on how much they like Jose Israel Garcia. Galvis is a short-timer. If the thought is that Jiggy is taking that job by the start of 2021, then picking up this option makes a lot more sense.
    Last edited by M2; 11-01-2019 at 09:45 AM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Side thought, this might be more of a statement on how much they like Jose Israel Garcia. Galvis is a short-timer. If the thought is that Jiggy is takign that job by the start of 2021, then picking up this option makes a lot more sense.
    It might make sense had they not acquired Bauer. But since they did and he is a free agent next offseason, that doesn't really make this a solid move.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

Side thought, this might be more of a statement on how much they like Jose Israel Garcia. Galvis is a short-timer. If the thought is that Jiggy is takign that job by the start of 2021, then picking up this option makes a lot more sense.
    Except that we have to watch the 2020 reds.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019),wlf WV (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. They've locked another position into below average production. Even if they get Rendon and Grandal, the offense has too many outs in the line-up.
    But who else are we "locking in" in this scenario? Because the indications have been that pretty much everyone besides Suarez and Votto are in flux given what we've heard from management about the outfield and the fact that the Reds are linked to Gregorius and Grandal. What are the other serious problems even in the Rendon/Grandal dream scenario?

I agree that they can't afford to have weak bats at multiple positions, but Galvis on his own isn't really an issue. If he's the starting SS, he can pick it pretty good, bat 8th and hit 25 HRs there. If he's your worst regular, you're not in bad shape. But if you have Galvis-type bats at other positions, which isn't yet clear, then yes the offense is probably going nowhere.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

757690 (11-01-2019),Coopdaddy67 (11-02-2019),Edd Roush (11-01-2019),M2 (11-01-2019),Revering4Blue (11-01-2019)

I hope this is the case. But I suppose Galvis makes sense. Reds don't have any true plus MI on the roster, and there aren't a whole lot of guys out there who can play both 2B/SS as well as Galvis. You could do worse than Galvis/Senzel up the middle, but that leaves a lot of pressure on the front office to make upgrades in CF, Catcher and the bullpen. I wonder what they're up to...

15. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I like.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    How I feel about this pretty much depends on what else they do in regards to the lineup and infield in general. Guessing this means Peraza and Iglesias are gone.
    I wouldn't guess that at all. My guess is that Peraza is still here and maybe Iglesias.

Correct move. Provides flexibility. Good power and glove.

I like the move only because he is cheap and not blocking anyone. But, at some point, the Reds need to quit bottom feeding and acquire above average players to fill their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wouldn't guess that at all. My guess is that Peraza is still here and maybe Iglesias.
    Peraza maybe. But with Galvis back, and Blandino a cheaper option with a more patient approach, Peraza may need to become a Royal or something.

Iglesias definitely not.

21. Likes:

M2 (11-01-2019),Old school 1983 (11-01-2019),Revering4Blue (11-01-2019),wlf WV (11-01-2019)

This move is not a win now move or a move for long term success. I know people think save money at SS and then go get 2 stars. Get Ozuna, Grandal and Dickerson or get Ozuna Grandal and Will Smith etc etc but the Reds cannot really do that either because the following season they have to pay those guys also and have around 86M to 88M committed through next season (2021) already. The Reds cannot throw 40M AAV or so into the offense/bullpen in long term deals because that would put them at around 126 to 128M already for next season and the Reds have 2 starting pitcher free agents and still need a shortstop next offseason also.
    Last edited by SErebel11; 11-01-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    I like the move only because he is cheap and not blocking anyone. But, at some point, the Reds need to quit bottom feeding and acquire above average players to fill their roster.
    They just finished the World Series two days ago. No one's making major acquisitions for at least a couple of weeks. Teams and players are just sorting out options at the moment.

24. Likes:

Chip R (11-04-2019),Old school 1983 (11-01-2019),savafan (11-01-2019),Tom Servo (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Except that we have to watch the 2020 reds.
    But then it becomes a money/assets question. If you think you've got a legit SS in your system, if you're willing to bank on him for the future, then you move your available cash and assets into plugging other holes with guys who can play next to that young SS when he arrives and go with the affordable bridge SS.

I'm not saying that's what's taking place here, but the ducks line up. Obviously it's also possible they're not that sure on Garcia and they're picking up Galvis' option because it's the path of least resistance. How much of this is planning and how much of it is stumbling is hard to say.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (11-01-2019)

Turn Off Ads?