Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 89 of 89

Thread: Reds to pick up Galvis option

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,593

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So Galvis is as good of a Defender as Iglesias according to this stat.

    With that information, I can easily say, "No thank you", to this stat.
    I'm wondering maybe you've seen Galvis play shortstop every day. I haven't, he has a good defensive reputation.

    Iglesias is a pleasure to watch at short, but I can't compare the two except for the typical defensive metrics which aren't always that accurate.

    This article is very interesting, may be on to something.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-09-2020 at 11:30 AM.

  2. Likes:

    Ron Madden (01-09-2020)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,597

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm wondering maybe you've seen Galvis play shortstop every day. I haven't, he has a good defensive reputation.

    Iglesias is a pleasure to watch at short, but I can't compare the two except for the typical defensive metrics which aren't always that accurate.

    This article is very interesting, may be on to something.
    Galvis was a GG finalist in 16, 17 and 18. Iglesias was a finalist in 2016. Not saying Galvis is better than Iglesias but those are the facts.
    Last edited by DocRed; 01-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

  5. Likes:

    REDREAD (01-09-2020),Ron Madden (01-09-2020)

  6. #78
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,837

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    I think Iglesias is a very good defensive player, but holy smokes, people act like he’s Omar Vizquel.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  7. Likes:

    CySeymour (01-09-2020),DocRed (01-09-2020),Griffey012 (01-09-2020),HammerTime (01-09-2020),InsaneinthBrame (01-11-2020),Kc61 (01-09-2020),Mitri (01-09-2020),Norwood (01-09-2020),Old school 1983 (01-09-2020),RiverRat13 (01-09-2020),Ron Madden (01-09-2020),StRedlegs900 (01-09-2020),The Operator (01-09-2020),Tom Servo (01-09-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-09-2020)

  8. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,593

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Wonder where Shogo grades out under this system.

  9. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,998

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think Iglesias is a very good defensive player, but holy smokes, people act like he’s Omar Vizquel.
    Iglesias and Galvis are both very good defenders at SS. I think Iglesias gets the visual nod from most people because he is artful with his hands. His hands are amazing.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  10. Likes:

    DocRed (01-09-2020),HammerTime (01-09-2020),mace (01-09-2020),Ron Madden (01-09-2020)

  11. #81
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    9,133

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think Iglesias is a very good defensive player, but holy smokes, people act like he’s Omar Vizquel.
    I think itís more that he played like Brandon Phillips, with so much joy like he was born there. But from what I could see, he didnít always finish his plays, like Brandon would.

  12. Likes:

    Norwood (01-09-2020)

  13. #82
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Seeing Galvis in the past I kinda assumed he was slow afoot and probably therefore had limited range but after seeing him play a good bit I was pleasantly surprised at how well he moves....I think he gives off a Manny Ramirez kinda first impression with the way he wears his uni and I think it maybe even makes him look thicker than he really is which probably led me to assume he wasn’t very quick. I’d rather have Lindor or Story obviously but if he can D it up and be an average hitter I think he can help the Reds win

  14. Likes:

    DocRed (01-09-2020),REDREAD (01-09-2020),Ron Madden (01-09-2020),TRF (01-10-2020)

  15. #83
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,775

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Iglesias and Galvis are both very good defenders at SS. I think Iglesias gets the visual nod from most people because he is artful with his hands. His hands are amazing.
    Manos de Oro Jr.?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  16. Likes:

    Griffey012 (01-09-2020)

  17. #84
    Member HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    692

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So Galvis is as good of a Defender as Iglesias according to this stat.

    With that information, I can easily say, "No thank you", to this stat.
    Just because something doesn't look as pleasing and fluid to the eye doesn't mean it's not as effective.

  18. Likes:

    DocRed (01-09-2020)

  19. #85
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    791

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    What Statcastís Newest Fielding Metric Says About Reds Infielders



    https://www.redreporter.com/2020/1/8...-above-average
    the stat pegged Winker accurately

  20. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,998

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    What Statcastís Newest Fielding Metric Says About Reds Infielders



    https://www.redreporter.com/2020/1/8...-above-average
    That gives a pretty promising review of the Reds fielding last year. Basically everyone but Winker was close to average or better.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  21. Likes:

    Ron Madden (01-09-2020)

  22. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,593

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    That gives a pretty promising review of the Reds fielding last year. Basically everyone but Winker was close to average or better.
    And Moustakas is projected to be pretty good at second base.

    And, I’d guess, Shogo is an above average OFer defensively, maybe around average in CF at this stage.

    I’m glad the Reds cared about defense this off-season. We’ll see how it’s impacted by any final moves.

  23. Likes:

    Griffey012 (01-09-2020),Old school 1983 (01-10-2020)

  24. #88
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,016

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Seeing Galvis in the past I kinda assumed he was slow afoot and probably therefore had limited range but after seeing him play a good bit I was pleasantly surprised at how well he moves....I think he gives off a Manny Ramirez kinda first impression with the way he wears his uni and I think it maybe even makes him look thicker than he really is which probably led me to assume he wasnít very quick. Iíd rather have Lindor or Story obviously but if he can D it up and be an average hitter I think he can help the Reds win
    Average hitter?? His career high OBP is .309. Most years its under .300. He's a pretty good defender. The Reds need offense.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  25. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,261

    Re: Reds to pick up Galvis option

    Does Iglesias just have the Jim Edmonds effect going on? Do people think he's better than he really just because he's flashy?

  26. Likes:

    Norwood (01-10-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator