Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

My feeling is that 2019 for him is a throwaway. Not indicative of his talent at all. I also feel we need an effective lefty in our rotation. I say we offer him a decent one year deal or maybe one plus an option and see what we get in 2020. We can always deal him at the deadline if he turns into a dud (which I doubt he would be). But, at least we'd have our rotation settled and those pitchers could arrive for spring training knowing where they stand. I believe that would give us the best 5 man rotation in MLB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

It all depends on cost. I wouldn't offer him much guaranteed money. An incentive-laiden deal would be ok but I'm not sure Wood really wants something like that. Regardless, I don't trust him to stay healthy.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-03-2019),M2 (11-03-2019),RedForLife (11-02-2019),REDREAD (11-04-2019)

If you can get him for $5-6M then sure, but someone will offer him $10M+

6. Likes:

RedForLife (11-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    It all depends on cost. I wouldn't offer him much guaranteed money. An incentive-laiden deal would be ok but I'm not sure Wood really wants something like that. Regardless, I don't trust him to stay healthy.
    I like the incentive laden deal idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    After the season he just had I really don't think there are going to be many teams willing to offer him $10M+. But, if the Reds can sign him for $5-6M, as you stated, then hell yes! They should definitely do that.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Agreed. Small guarantee major league contract with incentives, and maybe a team friendly option for 2021.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I am not sure there will be...there are a lot of #3 - #5 type rotation guys on the market this winter....and with his injury history?

Quote Originally Posted by RedForLife View Post
    But, at least we'd have our rotation settled and those pitchers could arrive for spring training knowing where they stand. I believe that would give us the best 5 man rotation in MLB.
    The rotation would be settled?

This happens every off-season. The injured suddenly are healthy. Fans list them in their posted rotations. Homer will be ready, sure. I’m counting on Disco (missed the next season). We’ve seen it time and time again.

Reds can sign Wood if they want but it will “settle” nothing until he shows he is fully healthy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-02-2019 at 10:14 PM.

13. Likes:

mth123 (11-02-2019),REDREAD (11-04-2019),Revering4Blue (11-02-2019)

I'd offer him a one year "prove it" deal with a mutual option for 2021. Maybe somewhere around $6M with the option being for $11M. Hopefully Wood would pitch well enough in year 1 tyo merit the $11M salary in year 2, then Lodolo would be ready to slide into his rotation spot in 2022. Anything more that that would be a hard pass for me. The only other LHP i would entertain who will be on the open market is Bumgarner and evn then I think he will command a higher salary than I would be happy with the reds offering.

Quote Originally Posted by RedForLife View Post
    I like the incentive laden deal idea.
    I think he will have multiple offers with that structure. I can't see why any pitcher in that situation would want to pitch in GABP unless its his only choice. Better chance to make good in a pitcher's park. I'm guessing Giants or Padres for him.

Hitters on the other hand would flock to GABP for a make good deal. I think that's why Scooter makes sense.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think he will have multiple offers with that structure. I can't see why any pitcher in that situation would want to pitch in GABP unless its his only choice. Better chance to make good in a pitcher's park. I'm guessing Giants or Padres for him.

Hitters on the other hand would flock to GABP for a make good deal. I think that's why Scooter makes sense.
    If the Reds don't land Moustakas then they should definitely pursue Scooter. Bringing him back would only be a positive. Plus it would save a ton of $$$$$.

with his injury history I would pass, too many other guys on the market that we could sign that are healthy enough to make a solid run in 2020. One guy that intrigues me is Dallas Kuechel. He would make a nice #4 in the rotation and allow Mahle to be used in long relief until maybe the trade deadline. Keuchel might be had for something like 3/42 with a 4th yr option.

Sports have always been a case of here today, gone tomorrow. We saw two guys who we thought would nail down the bullpen for years and both were sent packing early.

20. Likes:

Redeyecat (11-03-2019),REDREAD (11-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    with his injury history I would pass, too many other guys on the market that we could sign that are healthy enough to make a solid run in 2020. One guy that intrigues me is Dallas Kuechel. He would make a nice #4 in the rotation and allow Mahle to be used in long relief until maybe the trade deadline. Keuchel might be had for something like 3/42 with a 4th yr option.
    The starting pitching available is why I coming around to the idea of dealing Castillo for a haul of young building blocks and use the payflex to replace him. Castillo and Galvis to LA for Verdugo, Lux and Gonsolin. Verdugo in CF, Senzel at 2B and Lux at SS. Sign one of Odorizzi, Keuchel, Bumgarner, Ryu, etc to replace Castillo. Sign Grandal and deal off Barnhart. Use the money freed up from dealing Galvis and Barnhart ($10 Million or so) to address middle relief. Gonsolin and Mahle compete for the 5th starting spot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

schroomytunes (11-03-2019)

I will be shocked if Wood gets the kind of money that some are suggesting here. Injury concerns are extremely high with a fear that this is a chronic issue that he will never really overcome. I do not expect that the team that eventually signs Wood will look at him as a guy they can definitely depend on to fill a spot in their rotation in 2020. It will be a case where he goes to spring training and has to show he can stay healthy. If he gets 5 million in guaranteed money, I will be surprised.

24. Likes:

mth123 (11-03-2019),Old school 1983 (11-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?