Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I will be shocked if Wood gets the kind of money that some are suggesting here. Injury concerns are extremely high with a fear that this is a chronic issue that he will never really overcome. I do not expect that the team that eventually signs Wood will look at him as a guy they can definitely depend on to fill a spot in their rotation in 2020. It will be a case where he goes to spring training and has to show he can stay healthy. If he gets 5 million in guaranteed money, I will be surprised.
    Built in a bit too much wiggle room.

This trade should be evaluated not for what the Reds got (one year guys) but for whether they correctly determined that Downs and Gray were ok to give up. Did they make the right evaluations of their own prospects? Time will tell. I wasn’t a big Downs fan. I do think Gray has a chance to be really good. I also think the Dodgers would have done the deal with different minor leaguers.

The dumbest take I heard on this trade at the time it was made was that trading prospects was ok because the Reds had gone out and acquired prospects for Cueto, Bruce, Leake, etc., and they hadn’t panned out, so that meant it proved that trading prospects was ok. So because you were bad at evaluating incoming talent, it meant it was ok to move your own prospects if other teams wanted them.

To be a winning organization, you have to be smart at the grass roots level. Let’s hope they recognize that. It was a complicated trade that had mixed results.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-13-2020),kpresidente (01-13-2020),NebraskaRed (01-13-2020),Number_Fourteen (01-13-2020),RED VAN HOT (01-13-2020),REDREAD (01-13-2020),RedsfaninMT (01-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Robinson View Post
    Not if you extend the trade to include getting Bauer for Puig.

I'm still hoping the Reds can resign Puig and deal a couple of guys to help the IF and bullpen.
    trammell was why the reds got bauer. puig was kind of a throw-in. jmo.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Robinson View Post
    Not if you extend the trade to include getting Bauer for Puig.

I'm still hoping the Reds can resign Puig and deal a couple of guys to help the IF and bullpen.
    What do we need with Puig? Our OF is overcrowded as it is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    trammell was why the reds got bauer. puig was kind of a throw-in. jmo.
    True. Puig had little value

Alex Wood actually getting $6M for 2020 plus incentives.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...htmode%3Dfalse

So if he gets 25 starts and 150 IP then he makes $11M next year.

^ The base seems high, but the incentives seem pretty fair given his injury history.

Turn Off Ads?