Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

  1. #16
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    If Wood is paid less than $5M in guaranteed money, he'd be a clever addition for depth purposes.

    I'd be fine with Wood and Mahle battling it out for the fifth starter spot/ long relief guy behind Gray, Castillo, Bauer, and DeSclafani.

    That'd probably mean, though, that he'd be the only pitching money spent.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The starting pitching available is why I coming around to the idea of dealing Castillo for a haul of young building blocks and use the payflex to replace him.
    I've mentioned this as a possibility before and gotten dismissed due to Castillo's ace upside.

    But if he can bring back help at more than one position, I think it might be an interesting thought experiment, if nothing more.

  4. Likes:

    mth123 (11-03-2019)

  5. #18
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,956

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    If it's all based on incentives, then I like the idea. It also would be indication that the Reds like Wood and think he can get back to his Dodgers form. That doesn't mean they'll be right about that, but maybe the guy we hoped for last season shows up this season.

    In general, I think 7 or 8 viable rotation candidates in the fold as you head into ST is a good thing. Protects against needing perfect health.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  6. Likes:

    Mitri (11-03-2019),Old school 1983 (11-03-2019),REDREAD (11-05-2019),Tom Servo (11-03-2019)

  7. #19
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The starting pitching available is why I coming around to the idea of dealing Castillo for a haul of young building blocks and use the payflex to replace him. Castillo and Galvis to LA for Verdugo, Lux and Gonsolin. Verdugo in CF, Senzel at 2B and Lux at SS. Sign one of Odorizzi, Keuchel, Bumgarner, Ryu, etc to replace Castillo. Sign Grandal and deal off Barnhart. Use the money freed up from dealing Galvis and Barnhart ($10 Million or so) to address middle relief. Gonsolin and Mahle compete for the 5th starting spot.
    Over the next 3-4 years overall dealing Castillo will create a decent bit of payflex. (I know you have other moves but your first sentence implies trading Castillo will create payflex) But for the next 2 years it wonít be so much that it will make a dent. Payflex aside Iíd take a long look at that deal. It seems pretty fair but I donít know that the stingy Dodgers would go for it.

  8. #20
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,015

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Over the next 3-4 years overall dealing Castillo will create a decent bit of payflex. (I know you have other moves but your first sentence implies trading Castillo will create payflex) But for the next 2 years it won’t be so much that it will make a dent. Payflex aside I’d take a long look at that deal. It seems pretty fair but I don’t know that the stingy Dodgers would go for it.
    Not what I mean. They already have the payflex, but the available bats to spend it on are somewhat limited. Trade Castillo for two or three building blocks and use the payflex they already have to spend it on a pitcher to replace him. Good starting pitchers are much more abundant this year than bats.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  9. Likes:

    REDREAD (11-05-2019)

  10. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,592

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Enjoy the conversation folks but Reds aren’t trading pre-arb Luis Castillo so they can sign a $140 million TOR pitcher.

    They’ll play the market for hitters, via FA and trade, and won’t spend that much on any one guy.

    You only have a few main starters, a pre-arb guy like Castillo is golden to the Reds. More so than for many markets which can afford more expensive pitching.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-03-2019 at 04:14 PM.

  11. #22
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,015

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Enjoy the conversation folks but Reds aren’t trading pre-arb Luis Castillo so they can sign a $140 million TOR pitcher.

    They’ll play the market for hitters, via FA and trade, and won’t spend that much on any one guy.

    You only have a few main starters, a pre-arb guy like Castillo is golden to the Reds. More so than for many markets which can afford more expensive pitching.
    They won't need $140 Million to sign Odorizzi or Keuchel. 3 years and $50 Million. If they can get two guys to fix the position side, its worth it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  12. Likes:

    REDREAD (11-05-2019)

  13. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,592

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They won't need $140 Million to sign Odorizzi or Keuchel. 3 years and $50 Million. If they can get two guys to fix the position side, its worth it.
    Not to me. And undoubtedly not to the Reds who would never do this.

    Castillo is 26, had a great season, and has TOR potential. He is more valuable than the guys you suggest at this stage of their careers.

    This starter idea is a non-starter idea IMO.

  14. Likes:

    WrongVerb (11-03-2019)

  15. #24
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,015

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not to me. And undoubtedly not to the Reds who would never do this.

    Castillo is 26, had a great season, and has TOR potential. He is more valuable than the guys you suggest at this stage of their careers.

    This starter idea is a non-starter idea IMO.
    The team still needs three bats. They don't have enough to sign that many. If they can get two cheap guys in one deal, then they need to sign a bat and a starter. They may have enough to do that. They still won't be able to address the bullpen unless they can unload pricey interchangeable parts like Galvis and Barnhart.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  16. #25
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,089

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not what I mean. They already have the payflex, but the available bats to spend it on are somewhat limited. Trade Castillo for two or three building blocks and use the payflex they already have to spend it on a pitcher to replace him. Good starting pitchers are much more abundant this year than bats.
    You’re overestimating how bad you think the offense will be. If the Yankees wanted to put Torres on the table I might talk. Other than that roll with Luis.

  17. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,592

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The team still needs three bats. They don't have enough to sign that many. If they can get two cheap guys in one deal, then they need to sign a bat and a starter. They may have enough to do that. They still won't be able to address the bullpen unless they can unload pricey interchangeable parts like Galvis and Barnhart.
    Reds don’t require three new major bats - so I doubt the whole premise on which you would trade the Reds’ most valuable asset.

    They can find two very good hitters, add to the bullpen, and keep their four main starting pitchers too. And will.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-03-2019 at 04:38 PM.

  18. #27
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,015

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    You’re overestimating how bad you think the offense will be. If the Yankees wanted to put Torres on the table I might talk. Other than that roll with Luis.
    We'll see. I think you underestimating how bad the offense is. They finished 12th in the league in runs scored last year and that was with unrepeatable performances from Puig/Aquino in RF (combined 41 HR) and Derek Dietrich's two months of dominance. Jose Iglesias isn't a good offensive player, but there is nobody on the roster that will be able to match his .724 OPS from SS last year.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds don’t require three new major bats - so I doubt the whole premise on which you would trade the Reds’ most valuable asset.

    They can find two very good hitters, add to the bullpen, and keep their four main starting pitchers too. And will.
    ...and finish fourth because they still won't score enough runs.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  19. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,592

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We'll see. I think you underestimating how bad the offense is. They finished 12th in the league in runs scored last year and that was with unrepeatable performances from Puig/Aquino in RF (combined 41 HR) and Derek Dietrich's two months of dominance. Jose Iglesias isn't a good offensive player, but there is nobody on the roster that will be able to match his .724 OPS from SS last year.

    - - - Updated - - -



    ...and finish fourth because they still won't score enough runs.
    An average offense and superior pitching is a formula that has worked repeatedly in MLB.

    Reds are already half way there.

    Add two good hitters to the first six in the Reds lineup and they will be fine, maybe better than fine.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-03-2019 at 05:18 PM.

  20. #29
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,089

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We'll see. I think you underestimating how bad the offense is. They finished 12th in the league in runs scored last year and that was with unrepeatable performances from Puig/Aquino in RF (combined 41 HR) and Derek Dietrich's two months of dominance. Jose Iglesias isn't a good offensive player, but there is nobody on the roster that will be able to match his .724 OPS from SS last year.

    - - - Updated - - -



    ...and finish fourth because they still won't score enough runs.
    Let’s see what the offense looks like on April 3 not November 3. I think we all know they need help.

  21. Likes:

    Kc61 (11-03-2019)

  22. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    277

    Re: Thoughts on signing Alex Wood?

    Let Wood go. Take our losses and move on.

    Rendon is on my wish list.

  23. Likes:

    REDREAD (11-05-2019)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator