Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

The fate of Jose Peraza

We're talking about of different potential acquisitions in different threads, but it should be mentioned that if the Reds bring in a 2B, SS or CF, that seriously cuts into the number of reps Jose Peraza will get next season. Picking up the Galvis extension already put him on shaky footing.

Jose turns 26 early next season. He had a terrible 2019 campaign, going .239/.285/.346 with a -0.9 bWAR. He cost $2.78M last year, so it wouldn't be surprising to see his price tag rise above $3.5M for 2020 despite the egg he laid this year. Plus, Alex Blandino and Josh VanMeter are on hand as backup types. Is there a place for Jose on this team, especially if it's making some win-now additions? Seems like that money could be spent on bullpen if he doesn't have a specific role.

I doubt they'll cut him loose, but could he be desirable for a rebuilding team on the trade market? He certainly seems like the odd man out at the moment.
    Last edited by M2; 11-05-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

He does have that aura of a change of scenery candidate. Could be dealt ahead of arbitration for another teams arbitration eligible player in a similar situation, possibly a bullpen arm.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

5. Likes:

M2 (11-05-2019),REDREAD (11-06-2019),Tom Servo (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    He does have that aura of a change of scenery candidate. Could be dealt ahead of arbitration for another teams arbitration eligible player in a similar situation, possibly a bullpen arm.
    That's what I'd like to see.

Might be a guy you could deal for, say, Boston's CF Bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's what I'd like to see.

Might be a guy you could deal for, say, Boston's CF Bradley.
    I think Boston would just sign Brock Holt back for similar money if they were gonna go that route and Bradley JR is the 11M version of Galvis in CF. Pass on him.

Guessing teams like the Orioles, Tigers, Marlins, Giants, could have interest in him. He did put up a 2.6 WAR season in 2018 and he is young.

I think Peraza for RHP Jose Urena of the Marlins makes sense for both clubs. Their second base spot is unsettled and both Jose's struggled last season after having nice 2018's. I know there are plenty of 2nd basemen available but Miami isn't gonna attract a free agent unless it's an aging veteran to play there. Urena has two years of control left and Peraza has 4.

Tigers maybe Daniel Norris or Buck Farmer would be possibilities.

Giants.... I got nothing. Brandon Crawford or Belt! Kidding...

8. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019)

I said it last year, but Jose Peraza sort of got “Wally Pipp’d” during the first week of the 2019 season and it messed with his mind and caused his crash and burn.

Go back and look at Peraza’s spring training last year. He had locked up the starting SS job with GREAT spring numbers. Scooter was the starter at 2B. Jose Iglesias was signed the last week of spring training to be the backup SS because no one else could play a decent SS. But there was no question that Peraza had won the SS job with a strong spring. But when Scooter got hurt, all of a sudden Peraza gets shifted away from the position he had earned and pushed to 2B. Iglesias becomes the starting SS and puts together the best month of his career. In addition, Dietrich has his best month, and earns playing time. The only position that he can fill in is 2B. Peraza finds himself pressing to complete with two bench players who were both having career years. Peraza got away from what made him successful at the plate in 2018 and in spring training 2019.

Call me crazy but even at age 26, Peraza is still one of the younger players on the team. I think you hang on and give him a chance to rebound from a horrible season that was due more to him pressing to compete with guys who were having career years. Nine seasons out of ten if you asked me who I would choose to put up the best numbers between Peraza, Iglesias, or Dietrich, I would pick Peraza. I think 2019 was a fluke, and Peraza can rebound if given a fair and legitimate opportunity.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019),savafan (11-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I said it last year, but Jose Peraza sort of got “Wally Pipp’d” during the first week of the 2019 season and it messed with his mind and caused his crash and burn.
    If that is the case, he's simply got be mentally tougher than that. I liked Peraza, and felt he showed a lot in his 2018 season. But you have to perform, and last year he didn't. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go somewhere else and hit, but he's not worth keeping around as an expensive bench bat for the Reds moving forward.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Chip R (11-05-2019),marcshoe (11-05-2019),SunDeck (11-06-2019),westofyou (11-05-2019)

Seems like Miami is a good landing spot for him. Possibly as a starter. The Reds should do him a solid and deal him to purga... Miami.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Seems like Miami is a good landing spot for him. Possibly as a starter. The Reds should do him a solid and deal him to purga... Miami.
    But for who? If you stand on your head and squint just right, maybe Adam Conley could be a quality reliever. Yet there aren't a lot of attractive options on that team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    But for who? If you stand on your head and squint just right, maybe Adam Conley could be a quality reliever. Yet there aren't a lot of attractive options on that team.
    Brian Moran?

Miami is pretty much set with Isan Diaz and Miguel Rojas for their middle infield. Rojas isn’t a glamorous player but he’s sound. They just extended him and he’s “clubhouse leader” guy. Diaz is a big prospect for them.

The guy they tried to make the centerpiece of a Chapman deal and did in the Frazier deal....misjudgement monumentalis. No wonder the losing (extending BP when they still could have gotten a haul for him, giving Chapman away, Bailey over Cueto for a LT contract, trading Grandal and keeping Mes, hindsight is blindingly obvious but you just cannot miss so many times)
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

19. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-07-2019),HokieRed (11-05-2019),Powder River (11-06-2019),REDREAD (11-06-2019),RedseatHR (11-05-2019),Roy Tucker (11-07-2019),Tommyjohn25 (11-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedseatHR View Post
    Miami is pretty much set with Isan Diaz and Miguel Rojas for their middle infield. Rojas isn’t a glamorous player but he’s sound. They just extended him and he’s “clubhouse leader” guy. Diaz is a big prospect for them.
    Isan Diaz struggled mightily to the tune of a 53 WRC+ in 209 PA with nearly a 30% k rate which aligns with his history in the minors. He took a massive leap in AAA this season with the live ball. He also bats left handed which could be fit for a young platoon. After watching Brinson, Sierra and other OFer's struggle, I doubt they are inking in Diaz for the next 6 years just yet.

Urena makes the most sense for both clubs if they are interested in Peraza. Urena and his antics have caused him some friction there. He has some talent and a change of scenery could help him also. He will make close to what Peraza makes and if he can earn the 5th spot in the rotation for 4M with another season of control that would be good for the Reds. Mahle could go to AAA and be the emergency guy (much needed depth) and work on his secondary stuff and potentially be part of the 2021 rotation. That would also help mitigate potentially having two rotation spots to fill in 2021 if the Reds do indeed decide to spend a lot on bats in the way of multi year deals this offseason.

Ureña would be an interesting one. Derek Johnson could have him turn a corner

I love the Urena idea, and if Miami was waffling I’d probably even throw in a C- or D-prospect to get it done. I think they need to be aggressive about Peraza early; take any kind of arm you can get for him or cut him if there’s no interest and spend the money on the bullpen.

The thing about Peraza is that even if he does end up burning you by latching on with another team and start hitting, it’s gonna be a mild singe at best; I mean, what’s the realistic ceiling for a REALLY solid José Peraza bounceback 2020? .290/.335/.420 with okay-ish defense? There’s just no there there, and if MLBTradeRumors is even vaguely in the ballpark with someone of their Free Agency predictions (6M for one year of Rich Hill, or 3M a season for two years of Akiyama) then that money can be put to soooooo much better use.

23. Likes:

Crumbley (11-08-2019)

Peraza and Herget to Baltimore for Mychal Givens. Throw in another arm if need be.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019)

Turn Off Ads?