Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

I can’t imagine Peraza has much trade value. If the Reds can get a C prospect and full salary relief, they’d be lucky.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-07-2019),HokieRed (11-06-2019),Revering4Blue (11-05-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Well, I don't know how it happened, but the
    Riverboat captain, he knows Jose's fate
    But ev'rybody else, even yourself
    They're just gonna have to wait
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

5. Likes:

North (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Peraza and Herget to Baltimore for Mychal Givens. Throw in another arm if need be.
    If the Reds get givens hopefully he pitches a lot better this coming year did he did last year in Baltimore
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Well, I don't know how it happened, but the
    Riverboat captain, he knows Jose's fate
    But ev'rybody else, even yourself
    They're just gonna have to wait
    Hang down on your head Jose Peraza,
    Hang down your head and cry.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I said it last year, but Jose Peraza sort of got “Wally Pipp’d” during the first week of the 2019 season and it messed with his mind and caused his crash and burn.

Go back and look at Peraza’s spring training last year. He had locked up the starting SS job with GREAT spring numbers. Scooter was the starter at 2B. Jose Iglesias was signed the last week of spring training to be the backup SS because no one else could play a decent SS. But there was no question that Peraza had won the SS job with a strong spring. But when Scooter got hurt, all of a sudden Peraza gets shifted away from the position he had earned and pushed to 2B. Iglesias becomes the starting SS and puts together the best month of his career. In addition, Dietrich has his best month, and earns playing time. The only position that he can fill in is 2B. Peraza finds himself pressing to complete with two bench players who were both having career years. Peraza got away from what made him successful at the plate in 2018 and in spring training 2019.

Call me crazy but even at age 26, Peraza is still one of the younger players on the team. I think you hang on and give him a chance to rebound from a horrible season that was due more to him pressing to compete with guys who were having career years. Nine seasons out of ten if you asked me who I would choose to put up the best numbers between Peraza, Iglesias, or Dietrich, I would pick Peraza. I think 2019 was a fluke, and Peraza can rebound if given a fair and legitimate opportunity.
    I think hitting/pitching coaches make easy scapegoats, and this is probably too simplistic, but if anything Peraza was likely Turner Ward'd.

Launch angle jumps to 17.1, after 13.4, 9.9, 10.4. For a guy that's never walked and always had a bottom 5% exit velocity, seems like a recipe for disaster. And it was.

Peraza's also a great cautionary example of a hitting coach with the one-size-fits all approach not being advisable. Just the exact wrong match of player skillset and coaching emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think hitting/pitching coaches make easy scapegoats, and this is probably too simplistic, but if anything Peraza was likely Turner Ward'd.

Launch angle jumps to 17.1, after 13.4, 9.9, 10.4. For a guy that's never walked and always had a bottom 5% exit velocity, seems like a recipe for disaster. And it was.

Peraza's also a great cautionary example of a hitting coach with the one-size-fits all approach not being advisable. Just the exact wrong match of player skillset and coaching emphasis.
    The new hitting coach could have an impact here, it seems. That might make evaluating players hard, as the Reds move away from overdependence on launch angles. There's no question they need to add offense that already fits the new direction, but if you're right, and that seems likely. they shouldn't be too quick to give up on guys like Peraza. I don't know, though; there have always been issues.

I also think this could be an area where picking up Corey Seager could pay dividends.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I also think this could be an area where picking up Corey Seager could pay dividends.
    I know I would be more excited about Jose Peraza if he was Corey Seager.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

We gave him a pretty good shot to show himself, earn a spot. He failed miserably IMO. He's a dime-a-dozen utility player IMO. And I really don't think he brings strength to your bench (which the Reds need).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

Chip R (11-06-2019),cumberlandreds (11-06-2019),mth123 (11-06-2019),Revering4Blue (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    If the Reds get givens hopefully he pitches a lot better this coming year did he did last year in Baltimore
    His poor year is why they could get him for spare parts like Peraza and Herget. He's still probably better than any reliever on the roster not named Iglesias, Lorenzen or Garrett. He was significantly better than Gausman and some people on here want the Reds to keep him at $9 Million.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I know I would be more excited about Jose Peraza if he was Corey Seager.
    I'd like him better if he was on another team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-06-2019)

I don't know I'd be that upset if they penciled in Peraza at 2nd with Galvis at SS, but I'd much rather see Iglesias at short and perhaps someone else with a much better bat and defense at 2nd.. I've always liked Peraza, but he just seems to be the odd man out. When he's hot he's a great guy to have in the lineup, but when he ain't he's a bit of a liability with suspect defense. He strikes me as a guy who's never really going to thrive in the utilitarian type role and his defense isn't quite good enough to play every day. If his defense was great day in and day out I'd have zero problem with him playing every day.

I think I’ve seen enough of Peraza. I don’t feel like being able to do a bunch of things at a below average level should qualify as “versatility.” Let’s aim higher.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

18. Likes:

Chip R (11-06-2019),M2 (11-06-2019),Revering4Blue (11-06-2019),Tommyjohn25 (11-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    But for who? If you stand on your head and squint just right, maybe Adam Conley could be a quality reliever. Yet there aren't a lot of attractive options on that team.
    I've thought about scenarios like this over the years. Not sure the Reds need to "win" in a deal here. sometimes you do it because you know you screwed the player, sometimes it's to keep a good line of communication open. The Marlins have been a very good trade partner for the Reds over the last 5 years. Keep that going with an eye on their system, and perhaps you pluck another nugget from them. IMO, had they kept their OF, and their 2B, Disco and Castillo, they might have had a solid 2-3 year playoff run, and a shot at the title. Because they are incredibly stupid though, its a good idea to toss them a bone. Because then they leave the treasure unguarded.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

If Galvis falters or gets injured we'll need Peraza to take over SS. He could become very valuable at that point. I don't think they want any part of Blandino at SS for an extended period of time

21. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Galvis falters or gets injured we'll need Peraza to take over SS. He could become very valuable at that point. I don't think they want any part of Blandino at SS for an extended period of time
    The Reds still need to think about SS after the '20 season. If this front office allows themselves to be put into a position where they have to even consider Peraza at SS (AGAIN!), then they're bigger idiots then I give them credit for, and all is lost! LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 11-06-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I’m hoping the Reds get a real starting SS and Galvis is his backup.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?