Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think the only guy on the roster you can safely put at SS on a spot start basis is Peraza. So let's play the Rumors Are True game, and the Reds sign DiDi and Grandal. Your MI is Gregorius/Galvis with Peraza as supersub. There is no real reason to jettison Peraza, but his days as a starter may be done.
    There's going to be more than 3.5 million reasons to jettison Peraza in that scenario. Generally teams try to trim some contract fat when they're looking to make multiple acquisitions. Where can they take some money and reallocate it?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

GAC (11-09-2019),Mitri (11-08-2019),Redsfan6272 (11-09-2019),Revering4Blue (11-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Who is Cesar Izturis?
    A Spaniard who fashioned himself wings and flew too close to the sun?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

5. Likes:

M2 (11-08-2019),Old school 1983 (11-08-2019),Roy Tucker (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think the only guy on the roster you can safely put at SS on a spot start basis is Peraza. So let's play the Rumors Are True game, and the Reds sign DiDi and Grandal. Your MI is Gregorius/Galvis with Peraza as supersub. There is no real reason to jettison Peraza, but his days as a starter may be done.
    The reason is that he makes $3.6 Million in arb and doesn't do anything better offensively or defensively than Alex Blandino
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Chip R (11-12-2019)

Really? He can run, field multiple positions, has an arm and those are parts of baseball. He however plays a game with emphasis on contact over power and refuses to take a walk. He might be bad at 2019 baseball but historically he's everything a baseball player has been since the 19th century. He might be bad at baseball but he will get a full pension I bet and likely ten years in the game.
    What contact? He had a .239 batting average last year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What contact? He had a .239 batting average last year.
    He had 180 hits the year prior and he's 26 next year

What world is it in baseball where a guy that young is dead in the water for a bad year?

"bad at baseball" is a bad take

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    A Spaniard who fashioned himself wings and flew too close to the sun?
    That myth is heavily weighted with a father figure.

I think that in that scenario we might see more Sean Burroughs than most anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Izturis played sick defense. Omar Infante has always struck me as Peraza's best case scenario.
    OK, he had more lifetime PA's too.

Pension player

Sure hes not the center piece but is he Willie Greene?

What world is it in baseball where a guy that young is dead in the water for a bad year?

I keep Peraza. They hired a poor manager with a proven track record of zilch. That matters.
    Last edited by North; 11-09-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The reason is that he makes $3.6 Million in arb and doesn't do anything better offensively or defensively than Alex Blandino
    And why can't Blandino, who in two seasons has played 2B (31), 3B (19), SS (11) be considered a back-up at SS?
    Last edited by GAC; 11-09-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

And you're right about this. He'll be 26, and had a bad '19. I've just watched him these last few years with the Reds, the opps they've given him, and it's frustrates me that this kid doesn't seem to be progressing like we all think he should. It seems like the Reds only make him a starter because they don't have better options at the time. And then as soon as one may appear - he's benched. That's not much of a confidence builder (LOL).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And why can't Blandino, who in two seasons has played 2B (31), 3B (19), SS (11) be considered a back-up at SS?
    He can IMO. Same reason that $5.5 Million is an overpay for Galvis. If Galvis ends up getting 500 PAs, its a drag on the line-up. If he plays off the bench, the money could be better used elsewhere. Same goes for Peraza. No reason for a team in need of bigger roles to worry so much about paying back-ups so much money. They need three everyday players who can hit, a 5th starter and three late inning relievers. Yet right now Galvis, Gausman and Peraza stand to make about $20 Million. That's enough to easily get Didi for SS and at least one of those needed relievers if not two. Unless the Reds push the payroll way higher than expected, it's ridiculous.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I disagree. Jose Peraza offers something defensively that Blandino doesn't: he plays SS. Blandino has 11 (out of 92) MLB games at SS. They're obviously not comfortable with him at SS. They were prepared to start last yr with Peraza at SS before Scooter went down. IMO, this is why Peraza will still have a job here in 2020. he can play SS. If they acquire another SS (Didi) then Peraza becomes expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree. Jose Peraza offers something defensively that Blandino doesn't: he plays SS. Blandino has 11 (out of 92) MLB games at SS. They're obviously not comfortable with him at SS. They were prepared to start last yr with Peraza at SS before Scooter went down. IMO, this is why Peraza will still have a job here in 2020. he can play SS. If they acquire another SS (Didi) then Peraza becomes expendable.
    Correct. Blandino can play SS the same way Winker can play CF. Technically, they can, but you’d want to avoid Iif if possible.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-09-2019)

I understand your extreme dislike of this player, but the $3.6 million is a make weight argument. It’s unlikely.

The Reds are not going to arbitration with Peraza. He will take a more modest contract or be non-tendered or traded by Reds.

He got $2.78 million last year. I doubt he gets any more than that from Reds, maybe less, or maybe a different structure with incentives. They will likely non-tender or trade him if he demands more.

OK, he had more lifetime PA's too.

Pension player

Sure hes not the center piece but is he Willie Greene?
    I'm not saying he shouldn't play professional baseball, but his cost seems like it's past his value.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?