Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 136

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    80

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I understand your extreme dislike of this player, but the $3.6 million is a make weight argument. Itís unlikely.

    The Reds are not going to arbitration with Peraza. He will take a more modest contract or be non-tendered or traded by Reds.

    He got $2.78 million last year. I doubt he gets any more than that from Reds, maybe less, or maybe a different structure with incentives. They will likely non-tender or trade him if he demands more.
    they can find a cheaper alternative either in free agency or a waiver claim.. or a minor leaguer that wont cost 3.6 million to sit on the bench

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,593

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    they can find a cheaper alternative either in free agency or a waiver claim.. or a minor leaguer that wont cost 3.6 million to sit on the bench
    As I explained in my post - which you quoted - Peraza will not cost $3.6 million if the Reds retain him.

    Further, if one looks at Peraza’s 2018 performance, one might think he has upside and is worth more than a minimal salary. His approach regressed in 2019 and the question is why and whether it’s fixable.

  4. #78
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,016

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree. Jose Peraza offers something defensively that Blandino doesn't: he plays SS. Blandino has 11 (out of 92) MLB games at SS. They're obviously not comfortable with him at SS. They were prepared to start last yr with Peraza at SS before Scooter went down. IMO, this is why Peraza will still have a job here in 2020. he can play SS. If they acquire another SS (Didi) then Peraza becomes expendable.
    Peraza can't play SS any better than Blandino. In fact, I think he's terrible out there. I'd rather have Blandino defensively. I think the best comp for Peraza is a guy who could also "play" a bunch of positions that he really couldn't play and whose bat was totally reliant on BABIP luck - Jerry Hairston Jr. He'd be fine at the minimum. At $3.6 Million, I'll take just about anybody else.

    P.S. - Same goes for $2.78 Million.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-10-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  5. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (11-11-2019)

  6. #79
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,583

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Peraza can't play SS any better than Blandino. In fact, I think he's terrible out there. I'd rather have Blandino defensively. I think the best comp for Peraza is a guy who could also "play" a bunch of positions that he really couldn't play and whose bat was totally reliant on BABIP luck - Jerry Hairston Jr. He'd be fine at the minimum. At $3.6 Million, I'll take just about anybody else.

    P.S. - Same goes for $2.78 Million.
    I disagree with you on Peraza playing SS and more importantly the Reds disagree with you.

  7. #80
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,956

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I explained in my post - which you quoted - Peraza will not cost $3.6 million if the Reds retain him.

    Further, if one looks at Peraza’s 2018 performance, one might think he has upside and is worth more than a minimal salary. His approach regressed in 2019 and the question is why and whether it’s fixable.
    If he isn't in the starting lineup, then his upside is a lot lower - at least for the Reds. I definitely can see a rebuilding team with a middle IF vacancy wanting to give him a shot.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  8. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (11-11-2019)

  9. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,593

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If he isn't in the starting lineup, then his upside is a lot lower - at least for the Reds. I definitely can see a rebuilding team with a middle IF vacancy wanting to give him a shot.
    If Peraza will sign for $2.5 million plus incentives, I can see the Reds keeping him.

    If not, they probably will try and trade him early.

    If not, non-tender.

  10. #82
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,956

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Peraza will sign for $2.5 million plus incentives, I can see the Reds keeping him.

    If not, they probably will try and trade him early.

    If not, non-tender.
    Peraza has no reason to take a pay cut offer. None. It benefits him in no way.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  11. Likes:

    Chip R (11-13-2019)

  12. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,593

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Peraza has no reason to take a pay cut offer. None. It benefits him in no way.
    Does Jose get more than $2.5 million plus incentives in the open market? That’s the question.

    If he’s non-tendered what’s the expected pay day? Will teams offer him a major league contract? Or a minor league invite?

    Those are the issues he would face. If it helps it could be $2.78 million again, plus incentives. Small difference.

  13. #84
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,956

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Does Jose get more than $2.5 million plus incentives in the open market? That’s the question.

    If he’s non-tendered what’s the expected pay day? Will teams offer him a major league contract? Or a minor league invite?

    Those are the issues he would face. If it helps it could be $2.78 million again, plus incentives. Small difference.
    He probably gets a starting gig if he goes elsewhere, which is more than he stands to get from the Reds. My guess is his agent will take the chance the Reds won't be eager to cut loose a 26 year-old for nothing, either dealing him to a team willing to offer him arbitration or offering him arbitration and then looking to deal him. The pay cut and a spot on the bench does just about zip for him moving forward. At age 26, a 2B/SS who's shown some offensive ability in the past should find some suitors on the open market.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  14. #85
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,016

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Peraza has no reason to take a pay cut offer. None. It benefits him in no way.
    I don't know. If he's non-tendered, he'll probably have to take a minor league deal.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  15. #86
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,956

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know. If he's non-tendered, he'll probably have to take a minor league deal.
    I doubt that. There's a lot of bad teams that can throw a few million at him in the hope they get lucky.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  16. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (11-11-2019),RedlegJake (11-11-2019)

  17. #87
    Member Shoeless Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    141

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    I can't believe there is 6 pages on this topic. I think the Reds will do everything in their power to try to find another backup option. If not, he is the 26th man on the team and an expensive one at that. He has had three full seasons in the major leagues and has an OPS of .622, .742 and .631.

    If we want to be relevant next year, we better be talking about something else than Jose Peraza!
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

  18. Likes:

    mth123 (11-11-2019)

  19. #88
    Pitter Patter TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Letterkenny
    Posts
    19,919

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    What if 2019 Peraza is a direct result of Turner Ward, and 2018 Peraza returns? Is that worth $3.6M? I'm asking because I want an actual answer.

    .288 .326 .416 .742

    That was his 2018. We'd have sacrificed a goat to get Billy Hamilton to do that.

    New rumor is Galvis could be dealt. If he is do you still jettison Peraza?
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

  20. #89
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,956

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    New rumor is Galvis could be dealt. If he is do you still jettison Peraza?
    If Galvis gets dealt, that fundamentally changes the middle IF picture. And, if they're looking to do that, then I assume they offer arbitration to Peraza. However, that is a big if.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  21. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    122

    Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    peraza can't play ss any better than blandino.............i'd rather have blandino defensively..
    Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball

  22. Likes:

    M2 (11-11-2019)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator