Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I understand your extreme dislike of this player, but the $3.6 million is a make weight argument. It’s unlikely.

The Reds are not going to arbitration with Peraza. He will take a more modest contract or be non-tendered or traded by Reds.

He got $2.78 million last year. I doubt he gets any more than that from Reds, maybe less, or maybe a different structure with incentives. They will likely non-tender or trade him if he demands more.
    they can find a cheaper alternative either in free agency or a waiver claim.. or a minor leaguer that wont cost 3.6 million to sit on the bench

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    they can find a cheaper alternative either in free agency or a waiver claim.. or a minor leaguer that wont cost 3.6 million to sit on the bench
    As I explained in my post - which you quoted - Peraza will not cost $3.6 million if the Reds retain him.

Further, if one looks at Peraza’s 2018 performance, one might think he has upside and is worth more than a minimal salary. His approach regressed in 2019 and the question is why and whether it’s fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree. Jose Peraza offers something defensively that Blandino doesn't: he plays SS. Blandino has 11 (out of 92) MLB games at SS. They're obviously not comfortable with him at SS. They were prepared to start last yr with Peraza at SS before Scooter went down. IMO, this is why Peraza will still have a job here in 2020. he can play SS. If they acquire another SS (Didi) then Peraza becomes expendable.
    Peraza can't play SS any better than Blandino. In fact, I think he's terrible out there. I'd rather have Blandino defensively. I think the best comp for Peraza is a guy who could also "play" a bunch of positions that he really couldn't play and whose bat was totally reliant on BABIP luck - Jerry Hairston Jr. He'd be fine at the minimum. At $3.6 Million, I'll take just about anybody else.

P.S. - Same goes for $2.78 Million.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Peraza can't play SS any better than Blandino. In fact, I think he's terrible out there. I'd rather have Blandino defensively. I think the best comp for Peraza is a guy who could also "play" a bunch of positions that he really couldn't play and whose bat was totally reliant on BABIP luck - Jerry Hairston Jr. He'd be fine at the minimum. At $3.6 Million, I'll take just about anybody else.

P.S. - Same goes for $2.78 Million.
    I disagree with you on Peraza playing SS and more importantly the Reds disagree with you.

As I explained in my post - which you quoted - Peraza will not cost $3.6 million if the Reds retain him.

Further, if one looks at Peraza’s 2018 performance, one might think he has upside and is worth more than a minimal salary. His approach regressed in 2019 and the question is why and whether it’s fixable.
    If he isn't in the starting lineup, then his upside is a lot lower - at least for the Reds. I definitely can see a rebuilding team with a middle IF vacancy wanting to give him a shot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If he isn't in the starting lineup, then his upside is a lot lower - at least for the Reds. I definitely can see a rebuilding team with a middle IF vacancy wanting to give him a shot.
    If Peraza will sign for $2.5 million plus incentives, I can see the Reds keeping him.

If not, they probably will try and trade him early.

If not, non-tender.

If Peraza will sign for $2.5 million plus incentives, I can see the Reds keeping him.

If not, they probably will try and trade him early.

If not, non-tender.
    Peraza has no reason to take a pay cut offer. None. It benefits him in no way.

11. Likes:

Chip R (11-13-2019)

Does Jose get more than $2.5 million plus incentives in the open market? That’s the question.

If he’s non-tendered what’s the expected pay day? Will teams offer him a major league contract? Or a minor league invite?

Those are the issues he would face. If it helps it could be $2.78 million again, plus incentives. Small difference.

Does Jose get more than $2.5 million plus incentives in the open market? That’s the question.

If he’s non-tendered what’s the expected pay day? Will teams offer him a major league contract? Or a minor league invite?

Those are the issues he would face. If it helps it could be $2.78 million again, plus incentives. Small difference.
    He probably gets a starting gig if he goes elsewhere, which is more than he stands to get from the Reds. My guess is his agent will take the chance the Reds won't be eager to cut loose a 26 year-old for nothing, either dealing him to a team willing to offer him arbitration or offering him arbitration and then looking to deal him. The pay cut and a spot on the bench does just about zip for him moving forward. At age 26, a 2B/SS who's shown some offensive ability in the past should find some suitors on the open market.

I don't know. If he's non-tendered, he'll probably have to take a minor league deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't know. If he's non-tendered, he'll probably have to take a minor league deal.
    I doubt that. There's a lot of bad teams that can throw a few million at him in the hope they get lucky.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-11-2019),RedlegJake (11-11-2019)

I can't believe there is 6 pages on this topic. I think the Reds will do everything in their power to try to find another backup option. If not, he is the 26th man on the team and an expensive one at that. He has had three full seasons in the major leagues and has an OPS of .622, .742 and .631.

If we want to be relevant next year, we better be talking about something else than Jose Peraza!
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

18. Likes:

mth123 (11-11-2019)

What if 2019 Peraza is a direct result of Turner Ward, and 2018 Peraza returns? Is that worth $3.6M? I'm asking because I want an actual answer.

.288 .326 .416 .742

That was his 2018. We'd have sacrificed a goat to get Billy Hamilton to do that.

New rumor is Galvis could be dealt. If he is do you still jettison Peraza?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    New rumor is Galvis could be dealt. If he is do you still jettison Peraza?
    If Galvis gets dealt, that fundamentally changes the middle IF picture. And, if they're looking to do that, then I assume they offer arbitration to Peraza. However, that is a big if.

peraza can't play ss any better than blandino.............i'd rather have blandino defensively..
    Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball

22. Likes:

M2 (11-11-2019)

Turn Off Ads?