Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    If we want to be relevant next year, we better be talking about something else than Jose Peraza!
    I think you just poked the elephant in the room.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    What if 2019 Peraza is a direct result of Turner Ward, and 2018 Peraza returns? Is that worth $3.6M? I'm asking because I want an actual answer.

.288 .326 .416 .742

That was his 2018. We'd have sacrificed a goat to get Billy Hamilton to do that.

New rumor is Galvis could be dealt. If he is do you still jettison Peraza?
    If a .742 OPS is the upside for $3.6 Million, I'd look elsewhere. The Reds need more players with .800+ upside and no need to clutter the roster with guys who won't do that even if all goes right, They can get those types for a million or less all day long. VanMeter and Blandino to name two.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

malcontent (11-12-2019),Revering4Blue (11-11-2019)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    I can't believe there is 6 pages on this topic. I think the Reds will do everything in their power to try to find another backup option. If not, he is the 26th man on the team and an expensive one at that. He has had three full seasons in the major leagues and has an OPS of .622, .742 and .631.

If we want to be relevant next year, we better be talking about something else than Jose Peraza!
    Well stated.

For reasons unbeknownst to anyone who considers his or her self as subscribers to the SABR principle alignment of thinking, this franchise targeted and proceeded to give up a prime chip to acquire Peraza -- twice, actually, if you count the nullified Chapman to the Dodgers deal -- and accordingly have given Peraza a ton of rope. But, as they say in Texas, there comes a time when you have to cap a dry well, which is especially true when you consider that Peraza's likely replacement (barring unforeseen outside acquisitions), Blandino is much safer bet to actually reach first base without a map.

Allocate resources elsewhere.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (12-03-2019),Chip R (11-13-2019),Crumbley (12-07-2019),HokieRed (11-11-2019),malcontent (11-12-2019),mth123 (11-11-2019),Number_Fourteen (12-03-2019),Powder River (11-11-2019),Roy Tucker (11-11-2019),Tommyjohn25 (11-12-2019)

The Reds are expected to pursue middle infielders, including shortstop Didi Gregorius, but Galvis provides security at both spots. Josh VanMeter, Kyle Farmer, José Peraza and Alex Blandino will compete for spots, though Peraza could be a non-tender candidate with a potential salary above $3 million in arbitration.

“Peraza is a multi-talented player,” Williams said. “He gives us some speed and athleticism. He does play infield and outfield. There is room for us, but we have time to make decisions on him and we do need to see what else is out there. Like any player with a tender decision, you want to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.”
    https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/41945...mpression=true

Fare the well Jose Havoc. He actually becomes a really interesting FA. Some bad team is going to want to see if he can rediscover his 2018 form. Anyone with guesses on who? My pick is the Tigers. They've got nobody on that team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Chip R (12-03-2019),Mitri (12-02-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fare the well Jose Havoc. He actually becomes a really interesting FA. Some bad team is going to want to see if he can rediscover his 2018 form.
    Yeah he's pretty much perfect for Detroit, Baltimore, or Miami. I think he's likely to have a couple good seasons as a regular and hit around .300, but his timeline and the Reds simply didn't match up anymore.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

M2 (12-02-2019),Red Raindog (12-03-2019)

The Reds can use Jose’s $3 million to help with remaining player acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds can use Jose’s $3 million to help with remaining player acquisitions.
    my opinion of this will depend on other moves. We do not have a backup SS on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    my opinion of this will depend on other moves. We do not have a backup SS on the roster?
    We didn't with Peraza. Blandino is a better defender. The hope here is that Galvis ends up being the back-up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We didn't with Peraza. Blandino is a better defender. The hope here is that Galvis ends up being the back-up.
    I will take Peraza over Blandino at SS, and as I said it is about the other moves but as of right now, we do not have a backup SS on the roster.

I will take Peraza over Blandino at SS, and as I said it is about the other moves but as of right now, we do not have a backup SS on the roster.
    I think the primary thing we learned from Peraza's time at Ss is that he can't play it.

The Peraza acquisition was a bad idea fulfilling its destiny. He's a decent bench player when he's cheap. He'll be cheaper as a FA and some bad team will take a look at him. The Reds want to be a good team. Time to move on. I see the Marlins in his future, followed by a lucrative few years in Korea.

17. Likes:

Chip R (12-03-2019),Revering4Blue (12-07-2019)

but as of right now, we do not have a backup SS on the roster.
    That's a fairly minor issue on Dec. 2nd.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Good luck to Peraza I think it is best for because I do not believe this team knows how to use him correctly. Would be be surprised to see him as an all star in the near future depending on where he goes.

20. Likes:

texasdave (12-02-2019)

we do not have a backup SS on the roster.
    Yes, we do. Galvis. If they’re serious about winning next year, Galvis cannot be a starter. Had they signed Grandal, it would’ve been acceptable. But, not now.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

22. Likes:

mth123 (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Yes, we do. Galvis. If they’re serious about winning next year, Galvis cannot be a starter. Had they signed Grandal, it would’ve been acceptable. But, not now.
    I think he might be the starter.
    My reasoning on that is Peraza was not worth 3.6 as a back makes me think that the money they paid to Gavis is not to be a bench player could be wrong but that is what I am thinking

Turn Off Ads?