Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

For when the other thread fills up.

Hopefully this thread title is less offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

Less offensive than 2019 Cincinnati Bengals part 3?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Less offensive than 2019 Cincinnati Bengals part 3?
    It was “The Bungles are Back” before that.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Story in the Cincy Jungle from an interview Jim Quinn

“And, Mike Brown was one of the owners that was on their negotiating committee—there are a number of difficult owners, including Al Davis, who was a superstar difficult person—but, we were sitting around the room trying to debate different issues. At some point, even though we had already won the case, Mike Brown just shook his head, looked at Gene Upshaw (Pro Football Hall of Fame player, former NFLPA Executive Director) and me and said ‘I’m never ever going to agree to this. Never. I think it’s wrong, I think I should have control over my players,” Quinn said.

“I remember looking at Upshaw and saying: ‘this guy is crazy’”.
    https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/11/...green-news-nfl

Mike Brown has held onto this belief for 30 yrs...which is why the team continues to build through the draft. It boggles my mind...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

Mike Brown has held onto this belief for 30 yrs...which is why the team continues to build through the draft. It boggles my mind...
    Yes. College slaves are easier to exploit.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. College slaves are easier to exploit.
    Not anymore.

It's a Brave New World out there...

No joke, I see all kinds of players just flat out saying to their agents "nope, get me out of there, I don't care how." Things are different now.

This coming offseason will be very interesting in regard to the Bengals. On one side you'll have Mike Brown still doubling down.

But the other side... the players, the agents, etc. I said it in the previous thread at the end there. I can see the Bengals front office just getting straight up ghosted. This was alluded to by an anonymous NFL owner about the Bengals, right before the trade deadline. They don't even bother to call the Bengals.

I envision college players telling their agents, "Anywhere but Cincinnati. If I get drafted there, find me an option out. ESPECIALLY quarterbacks."

My NFL Dream That Will Never Happen? No one but the absolute bottom of the barrel, plays or coaches for the Bengals. No one attends the games except opposing fans. 0-16 year after year. The NFL finally steps in and forces change of some kind, in regard to non-cap related expenditures and hiring practices. This is really the only hope a Bengals fan has.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-08-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

...if we are going to suck, why not be legendary?

0-16 would be nice.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-08-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ...if we are going to suck, why not be legendary?

0-16 would be nice.
    "I'm unhappy we haven't won. The fans are unhappy we haven't won. We understand that. But I don't agree with the media suggestions for correcting it. ... We feel we've got people here who have the knowledge."

Mike Brown 2019? Hardly... he doesn't even bother to justify anything to the fans anymore. That was 1997. There would be 8 more years until the Bengals won more than 8 games in a season.

"When people talk about scouting, it's a red herring for people who don't know what they're talking about. We have all the information everybody else has. There are no secrets. When the Broncos got (running back) Terrell Davis in the sixth round, it wasn't like he wasn't on our board. We talked about him. If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round? We have the same record as the Rams and they have (eight) scouts."

This could have been taken from 2019, as they STILL only have 2 scouts. Sadly, this was from 1997 too.

The Bengals started in 1968. In Paul Brown's 22 year reign, the Bengals had a .504 winning percentage, won 5 Playoff games, and appeared in two Super Bowls.

Mike Brown took over after Paul Brown's death in 1991. Less than .400 winning percentage and zero playoff wins, coming up on 30 years.

And let me just say, even Paul Brown... Legendary Paul Brown. His body of work with the Bengals? I dunno... It was ok. His best work was done before he got here. Before he was paranoid. Honestly, I think the Bengals may just be a byproduct of the baggage Paul Brown dealt with as a result of how he got screwed by his own team (The Browns) and that he passed that baggage down to his son. I really do think that's why Mike Brown does what he does, and why the Bengals are what they are.

Paul Brown let Bill Walsh walk because he was getting too... not sure what the proper word is for it... "opinionated?" "Strong?" This is a the main baggage Paul passed on to Mike that cripples the franchise, in my opinion. Always keep complete control. Any power you give up will be used against you. Anyone that challenges your power, send them off "to find their life's work."

Can you imagine if Kraft felt this way as Belichick began to come into his own? It would have been easy to kick him to the curb before he got too powerful. After all, he was once a failed coach for...the Cleveland Browns of course. But nah. Kraft let him run with the ball. No baggage there.

What if Mike Brown had let Marvin Lewis have the same level of control? We saw what Marvin could do, warts and all, while being handcuffed. But what if...?
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-08-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Benihana (11-11-2019),Boss-Hog (11-09-2019),Redsfaithful (11-09-2019),Revering4Blue (11-09-2019),Todd Gack (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Not anymore.

It's a Brave New World out there...

No joke, I see all kinds of players just flat out saying to their agents "nope, get me out of there, I don't care how." Things are different now.

This coming offseason will be very interesting in regard to the Bengals. On one side you'll have Mike Brown still doubling down.

But the other side... the players, the agents, etc. I said it in the previous thread at the end there. I can see the Bengals front office just getting straight up ghosted. This was alluded to by an anonymous NFL owner about the Bengals, right before the trade deadline. They don't even bother to call the Bengals.

I envision college players telling their agents, "Anywhere but Cincinnati. If I get drafted there, find me an option out. ESPECIALLY quarterbacks."

My NFL Dream That Will Never Happen? No one but the absolute bottom of the barrel, plays or coaches for the Bengals. No one attends the games except opposing fans. 0-16 year after year. The NFL finally steps in and forces change of some kind, in regard to non-cap related expenditures and hiring practices. This is really the only hope a Bengals fan has.
    If this is the dream ANY Bengals fan has, they’re not really a Bengals fan are they?

14. Likes:

redsfandan (11-08-2019)

"I'm unhappy we haven't won. The fans are unhappy we haven't won. We understand that. But I don't agree with the media suggestions for correcting it. ... We feel we've got people here who have the knowledge."

Mike Brown 2019? Hardly... he doesn't even bother to justify anything to the fans anymore. That was 1997.

"When people talk about scouting, it's a red herring for people who don't know what they're talking about. We have all the information everybody else has. There are no secrets. When the Broncos got (running back) Terrell Davis in the sixth round, it wasn't like he wasn't on our board. We talked about him. If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round? We have the same record as the Rams and they have (eight) scouts."

This could have been taken from 2019, as they STILL only have 2 scouts. Sadly, this was from 1997 too.

The Bengals started in 1968. In Paul Brown's 22 year reign, the Bengals had a .504 winning percentage, won 5 Playoff games, and appeared in two Super Bowls.

Mike Brown took over after Paul Brown's death in 1991. Less than .400 winning percentage and zero playoff wins, coming up on 30 years.

And let me just say, even Paul Brown... Legendary Paul Brown. His body of work with the Bengals? I dunno... It was ok. His best work was done before he got here. Honestly, I think the Bengals may just be a byproduct of the baggage Paul Brown dealt with as a result of how he got screwed by his own team (The Browns) and that he passed that baggage down to his son. I really do think that's why Mike Brown does what he does, and why the Bengals are what they are.

Paul Brown let Bill Walsh walk because he was getting too... not sure what the proper word is for it... "opinionated?" "Strong?" This is a the main baggage Paul passed on to Mike that cripples the franchise, in my opinion. Always keep complete control. Any power you give up will be used against you. Anyone that challenges your power, send them off "to find their life's work."

Can you imagine if Kraft felt this way as Belichick began to come into his own? It would have been easy to kick him to the curb before he got too powerful. After all, he was once a failed coach for...the Cleveland Browns of course. But nah. Kraft let him run with the ball. No baggage there.
    Or Mike Brown gets caught saying the you know what word.

Or sexual harassment.

Those are horrible, but would be quick fixes that would lead him to sell the team. Doubt it ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    If this is the dream ANY Bengals fan has, they’re not really a Bengals fan are they?
    I mean... I guess? The Bengals are my local NFL football team. I know more about their history than most. I want them to succeed. They are doomed as long as Mike Brown is in charge, because he's not even trying to win. Am I a Bengals fan?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Or sexual harassment.

Those are horrible, but would be quick fixes that would lead him to sell the team. Doubt it ever happens.
    "Cracker?" I kid... I kid... Too soon, Browns fans?

He's 84. I admit I had hopes along these lines back in the day, but yes, that Chevy Lumina has sailed. Like I said, only hope is if the NFL intervenes. Because I'm starting to think Mike passed on Paul's baggage to Katie as well.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-08-2019 at 09:21 PM.

And let me just say, even Paul Brown...

"I'll take Out of Context Quotes, for 400, Alex..."

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

I’m guessing it’s 2-1 odds that’s Mike Brown still refers to his players as “Dem boys.”

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Or sexual harassment.

Marge Schott said the magic words. Did it help the Reds? I would say not

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?