Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

It seems like over half the passes Dak throws tonight are to wide open receivers. Why can’t the Bengals learn to get their guys open like that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It seems like over half the passes Dak throws tonight are to wide open receivers. Why can’t the Bengals learn to get their guys open like that?
    Because the Cowboys have elite athletes, and the Bengals' fastest healthy starting WR runs a 4.6. There's nobody that can get any separation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2019),Revering4Blue (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They're hurt! Ross, AJ
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Jerry Jones, for one, has ridiculed Mike Brown in the press for his "frugal ways".
    Doesn’t seem like it from reading this:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ple/525656001/

This is a question for the older fans:

Does anyone see any similarities between the Bengals and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the 70s and 80s? Namely any similarities between Mike Brown and Hugh Culverhouse.

Just from reading, it seems like Culverhouse ran the Bucs the same way (refusing to spend, pissing off fans) that Brown is running the Bengals.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Seems they are friends, at polar opposite ends of agreement on "core issues."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

This is a question for the older fans:

Does anyone see any similarities between the Bengals and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the 70s and 80s? Namely any similarities between Mike Brown and Hugh Culverhouse.

Just from reading, it seems like Culverhouse ran the Bucs the same way (refusing to spend, pissing off fans) that Brown is running the Bengals.
    Culverhouse isn't a bad comparison at all. Granted, it was an era in which a team only had to win one playoff round to reach the conference championship game, but the '79 Bucs did just that. IIRC, they narrowly lost to the Rams at home in the NFCC. They reached the playoffs two other times in the early 80's -- again, IIRC -- ran into powerful Cowboys teams in Dallas both times...and that was about it as far as relevance for Culverhouse's Bucs. Culverhouse managed to lowball QB Doug Williams with an insulting offer and lost him to the USFL, which led to the ill-fated trade (the traded pick turned out to be the top pick in the '84 draft) with Cincy for Jack Thompson.

With a tweak here and there, the Doug Williams/Le Roy Selmon (R.I.P) era Bucs could have continued to seriously contend for the whole enchilada. They had the right core. Alas, between the loss of Williams and the drafting of Bo Jackson fiasco -- a collection of blunders that made/make Mike Brown look like John Lynch -- the franchise became a sustained running joke (yes, worse than the Mike Brown era Bengals in totality) until Glazer became Bucs owner, cleaned house in the FO and hired Tony Dungy.

One major difference between Culverhouse and Brown -- and it's a major difference -- post John McKay, Culverhouse changed coaches quite often in an attempt to stir up enthusiasm (often resulting in a boost in season ticket sales), as opposed to Mike Brown's over-loyalty when changes were needed during a period that spanned several years and coaching regimes.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

WVRed (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Culverhouse isn't a bad comparison at all. Granted, it was an era in which a team only had to win one playoff round to reach the conference championship game, but the '79 Bucs did just that. IIRC, they narrowly lost to the Rams at home in the NFCC. They reached the playoffs two other times in the early 80's -- again, IIRC -- ran into powerful Cowboys teams in Dallas both times...and that was about it as far as relevance for Culverhouse's Bucs. Culverhouse managed to lowball QB Doug Williams with an insulting offer and lost him to the USFL, which led to the ill-fated trade (the traded pick turned out to be the top pick in the '84 draft) with Cincy for Jack Thompson.

With a tweak here and there, the Doug Williams/Le Roy Selmon (R.I.P) era Bucs could have continued to seriously contend for the whole enchilada. They had the right core. Alas, between the loss of Williams and the drafting of Bo Jackson fiasco -- a collection of blunders that made/make Mike Brown look like John Lynch -- the franchise became a sustained running joke (yes, worse than the Mike Brown era Bengals in totality) until Glazer became Bucs owner, cleaned house in the FO and hired Tony Dungy.

One major difference between Culverhouse and Brown -- and it's a major difference -- post John McKay, Culverhouse changed coaches quite often in an attempt to stir up enthusiasm (often resulting in a boost in season ticket sales), as opposed to Mike Brown's over-loyalty when changes were needed during a period that spanned several years and coaching regimes.
    John McKay was a riot.

https://www.sportsfeelgoodstories.co...-mckay-quotes/

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-11-2019)

Preston Brown released. Maybe the purge is beginning? (at least for the LBs)
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    What does that bring their linebacker corps down to now...three? Three bums. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Signing him was dumb, but it's good to see that they're not committed to justifying a bad decision. Hopefully they do the same with Bobby Hart after the season

15. Likes:

North (11-12-2019)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    A great QB would help this team. It won't solve all of their problems and they'll have to nail the next three or four drafts in any scenario, but a great QB would go a long way in helping them get back to relevance.

With a great QB, you don't have to be great at every position and compete. Without a great QB, you have to build a complete roster. The Bengals have done that once (2015) in my lifetime. With the current management structure, the likelihood of building a great team is much lower than lucking into a great QB. Obviously, odds of either happening are very low with the Brown family in charge.
    Great QB's with terrible offensive lines don't last long in the NFL!

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent point. You can look at Andrew Luck as an example of this. Once in a generation QB who made everyone else better around him. The only thing that ended his career early was injuries due to a lack of an offensive line.

Dalton on the other hand has always had to have weapons and protection in order to be successful. Post 2015 is a prime reflection of this.
    DING DING DING...winner winner chicken dinner...like I just posted, great QB's don't last long behind terrible offensive lines!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-12-2019)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Players aren’t going to refuse to sign for the bengals because of the love of the NFL or whatever. They are humans who have mortgages, car payments, and kids. Signing with the bengals = a job that pays perhaps millions of dollars.

I legit don’t get where you come up with this stuff
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Will wonders never cease?...

..."Originally signed last offseason as a free agent from the Buffalo Bills, Brown made 15 starts for the Bengals in two years. He was hurt for the majority of 2018 after signing a one-year deal with the team, but he was rewarded with a three-year $16.5m contract this offseason; a move that rivaled the Bobby Hart signing in terms of cluelessness.

And that’s what makes this move even more astonishing. The Bengals will now eat $5.4M in dead money to release Brown half a season into his three-year deal. In all honesty, it may be worth it, because Brown has been even worse this season than he was last year. He didn’t even start this past Sunday against the Ravens.

With Brown now out of the picture and Nick Vigil entering free agency this offseason, major changes should be on the horizon at the linebacker position."...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/11/...-preston-brown

All I know is Saturday and Sunday were as good as it can get at the moment - Burrow and Tua looked great on Saturday, and then the Miami, Jets, and Falcons wins on Sunday give them some breathing room in the race to the top 2 overall picks. And they lost and Finley didn't look good enough to make them think they have the QB solution in house.

All good.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (11-12-2019),Hoosier Red (11-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Great QB's with terrible offensive lines don't last long in the NFL!
    Russell Wilson has been very effective for a long time behind a consistently terrible line. Yes, he's a bit of an exception, but a QB who can make plays and move well can mask a lot of OL flaws.

Turn Off Ads?