Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Curt Flood Letter To Bowie Kuhn

Curt Flood Letter To Bowie Kuhn

Dear Mr. Kuhn:

After 12 years in the Major Leagues, I do not feel that I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several States.

It is my desire to play baseball in 1970, and I am capable of playing. I have received a contract from the Philadelphia club, but I believe I have the right to consider offers from other clubs before making any decisions. I, therefore, request that you make known to all the major league clubs my feelings in this matter, and advise them of my availability for the 1970 season.

Sincerely yours,

Curt Flood

December 24, 1969
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-24-2019),North (12-24-2019),ochoa30 (12-24-2019),RiverRat13 (12-24-2019),Roy Tucker (12-27-2019),Tom Servo (12-27-2019),wally post (12-27-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Curt Flood Letter To Bowie Kuhn

When Curt Flood penned the missive that would alter baseball – and all of sports – forever, he was alone in a Copenhagen hotel room, soon to be estranged from his children, fully aware he was on the verge of immolating his lucrative career.

It was Christmas Eve 1969, 10 weeks after the St. Louis Cardinals traded Flood to the Philadelphia Phillies, a transaction the seven-time Gold Glover and 12-year major league veteran had no choice but accept. Major League Baseball’s Reserve Clause bound player to club for as long as owner saw fit to employ him, able to trade or release him on a whim, allowing no freedom of movement.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hn/2722291001/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-24-2019 at 03:49 PM.

5. Likes:

ochoa30 (12-24-2019)

Re: Curt Flood Letter To Bowie Kuhn

Sorry off topic but every time I see Bowie Kuhn's name, I think of the Vida Blue trade axed by him. If the Reds have Vida Blue in 1978, we probaly win the division and who knows how far we would have gotten with him, Seaver and Fred Norman in the rotation.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-27-2019),Tomlin8 (12-27-2019)

Turn Off Ads?