Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 215

Thread: Offseason Trade Targets

  1. #166
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    24,382

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't think that's the case at all. I don't see the same potential in any of those players that each of VBC had in 2008. In fact, TySteve is the only one of that proposed group who would give me any pause in losing.
    Bailey was the only one with true star potential and he ended up being the least productive of the three. Votto and Cueto were second tier prospects at the time of the proposal. Bruce and Homer were the franchise gems at the time. At the time of the proposal, Votto and Cueto weren’t considered to have the potential to be Votto and Cueto.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  2. Likes:

    Redeyecat (12-08-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #167
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bailey was the only one with true star potential and he ended up being the least productive of the three. Votto and Cueto were second tier prospects at the time of the proposal. Bruce and Homer were the franchise gems at the time. At the time of the proposal, Votto and Cueto weren’t considered to have the potential to be Votto and Cueto.
    I didn't hold to that conventional wisdom at that time. I saw what they had in Votto, and by the end of 2008, I was calling Cueto three next Reds Ace.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

  5. #168
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    7,749

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I didn't hold to that conventional wisdom at that time. I saw what they had in Votto, and by the end of 2008, I was calling Cueto three next Reds Ace.
    Perhaps by the end of 2008 when you had a season to watch him pitch in the bigs, but those Bedard trade proposals were in the off-season after 2007 and prior to 2008, when we ultimately wound up with Edinson Volquez.

    There were a lot of people ready to ship different combinations of them out. Heck, Paul Daugherty infamously wanted to trade a ridiculous package of them for Joe Blanton.


    I’m not necessarily against trading prospects, but The Reds did already dip into the cupboard last off-season and while the Sonny Gray trade was a huge win in my mind, the Dodger deal turned out awful despite many of us loving it at the time.

    If The Reds decide to dip into their prospect capital again, they better be *really* sure they know what they’re doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

  6. #169
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Still could trade for Merrifield and Mancini, sign Keuchel, move Suarez to LF. Empty the prospect cabinet to get those 2 trades done, and include Mahle if need be.

    Senzel CF
    Merrifield 2b
    Moose 3b
    Mancini RF
    Suarez LF
    Votto 1b
    Galvis SS
    BarnSali C

    Castillo/Kuechel/Gray/Bauer/Disco
    More and more I'm liking the idea of trying to deal for Mancini. I wonder what it would take. He has three years of control remaining and would instantly be a significant offensive boost to the Reds. I think it would take a ton to get him. Greene, India, Ervin and Sims for Mancini and Mychal Givens? That would address two areas of need for this team, but I have no idea if it would be enough for the Orioles to do the deal. Greene would give them a high end arm to dream on and India would be a top prospect for them. The Reds would stick Mancini in one OF corner and Aquino would slide into the RH platoon role with Winker. I'd probably want more if I'm the Orioles, but I'm not sure. The Orioles have nothing at SS and might insist on Garcia instead of India but I really don't know. I'd probably still do that.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  7. #170
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    369

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    More and more I'm liking the idea of trying to deal for Mancini. I wonder what it would take. He has three years of control remaining and would instantly be a significant offensive boost to the Reds. I think it would take a ton to get him. Greene, India, Ervin and Sims for Mancini and Mychal Givens? That would address two areas of need for this team, but I have no idea if it would be enough for the Orioles to do the deal. Greene would give them a high end arm to dream on and India would be a top prospect for them. The Reds would stick Mancini in one OF corner and Aquino would slide into the RH platoon role with Winker. I'd probably want more if I'm the Orioles, but I'm not sure. The Orioles have nothing at SS and might insist on Garcia instead of India but I really don't know. I'd probably still do that.
    It would take about 4/60M cause signing Castellanos is about the same as adding Mancini

  8. #171
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    722

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    It would take about 4/60M cause signing Castellanos is about the same as adding Mancini
    I would be on board with Castellanos too....but I feel we need that Merrifield type batting stat line to complete the lineup, which will have to come via trade. Merrifield and Castellanos plus a pitcher fill the void of what would likely cost us one ours to the Royals.

  9. Likes:

    JCM11 (12-09-2019),REDREAD (12-09-2019)

  10. #172
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    It would take about 4/60M cause signing Castellanos is about the same as adding Mancini
    I'd do that as well.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  11. #173
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,052

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nope. Barnhart is an interchangeable part and there are a half dozen guys like him in FA every year that can be had for the $4 million or so he makes. I view moving the 2021 guarantee of the books as a plus. Reed is an out of options question mark in a bullpen with too many guys like that. They can't keep them all and need to deal one or two anyway. India is blocked by Suarez and Moustakas, so we're talking basically Tyler Stephenson for one year of superior bat followed by a QO, a draft pick and $30 Million of playflex to replace him with.
    Agreed. Barnhart and Reed have very little value. India and Ty Steve have potential, but to rent an MVP bat in the year we are "going for it" is worth it.. Let's remember folks, the Reds only "go for it" maybe once every 10 years (although it may be more than one year when they actually decide to do it.).
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  12. #174
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    In a whirlwind of moves at the winter meetings, I want the Reds to make the following trades:

    CIN gets:
    SS Trevor Story
    OF David Dahl
    LH Kyle Freeland

    COL gets:
    CA Tyler Stephenson
    RH Tyler Mahle
    OF Jesse Wiinker

    ---------

    CIN gets:
    CA Willson Contreras
    RH Tyler Chatwood

    CHC gets:
    CA Curt Casali
    OF Stu Fairchild
    RH Sal Romano

    ---------

    CIN gets:
    OF Trey Mancini

    BAL gets:
    OF Aristides Aquino
    RH Tony Santillan
    OF Mike Siani

    ----------

    Then the Reds turn around and sign:

    LHP Dallas Keuchel
    LHP Alex Wood

    Suddenly you've got a VERY competitive team. And haven't given up either India or Lodolo.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

  13. #175
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    751

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    ^^^^you had me until you traded Aquino to get Mancini

  14. #176
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    ^^^^you had me until you traded Aquino to get Mancini
    I could live with Aquino in RF, but Mancini projects better and still is relatively cheap.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

  15. #177
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    751

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I could live with Aquino in RF, but Mancini projects better and still is relatively cheap.
    that is the thing, I do not think the projections for Aquino can really be trusted, good or bad. I would rather take the chance that Aquino is more productive than Mancini.

  16. Likes:

    Mitri (12-09-2019),Revering4Blue (12-09-2019)

  17. #178
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,062

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Yeah, I don't see Mancini and a real fit for the Reds. He's a DH coming off a career year/rabbit ball season.. I'd rather just see what AA can do than trade real assets for Mancini.

    Unless a true upgrade is made available (Marte, Seager, Story) I'm all for keeping our trade assets until the deadline, when a number of these guys (such as Story) can be had for much less, and hopefully a couple of our 50-100 prospect jump into the top-30. Reds had a rough go on the farm last season, now seems like a good time to keep what we have and hope a few prospects can shine up.

    And in general I'm making Lodolo, Stephenson and Garcia next to untouchable.

  18. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (12-09-2019)

  19. #179
    Member reds77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    843

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    In a whirlwind of moves at the winter meetings, I want the Reds to make the following trades:

    CIN gets:
    SS Trevor Story
    OF David Dahl
    LH Kyle Freeland

    COL gets:
    CA Tyler Stephenson
    RH Tyler Mahle
    OF Jesse Wiinker
    So the Rockies needing a catcher is what makes this give up Story? Dahl for Winker I suppose could be a change of scenery move, but I think CO likes Dahl minus the injuries.

  20. #180
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Offseason Trade Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    And in general I'm making Lodolo, Stephenson and Garcia next to untouchable.
    I'm in that same boat, I think. (I'd add Greene too, due to the injury and the likelihood he'll be better/ more attractive as a trade piece when he establishes his stuff hasn't been destroyed.)

    It'd take some serious package for me to part with any of these four.

  21. Likes:

    Mitri (12-09-2019)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator