Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Astros stolen signs scandal

Re: Astros stolen signs scandal

Actually, the Astros winning the WS would go along perfectly with this year's whole "Cheaters and Evil Always Wins" theme we have going on.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

757690 (10-17-2020),bm1475 (10-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

So, the Stealers win the Super Bowl then? Or the Patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Actually, the Astros winning the WS would go along perfectly with this year's whole "Cheaters and Evil Always Wins" theme we have going on.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    So, the Stealers win the Super Bowl then? Or the Patriots?

Yes.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Thank you Tampa!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

7. Likes:

bm1475 (10-18-2020),Bob Sheed (10-18-2020),JohnnyRed (10-18-2020),Old school 1983 (10-18-2020),The Operator (10-18-2020)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...os/ar-BB1fmkT0

Fans at Angel Stadium went as far as throwing trash cans onto the field during the home team's game against Houston, in reference to how part of the Astros' cheating involved banging trash cans to signal what kind of pitch was coming towards batters.

First came an inflatable trash can, which was oddly thrown when the Angels were up to bat in the bottom of the sixth, and then an actually filled trash can was thrown. The latter arrived during a Jose Altuve at-bat.
    Astros players obviously weren't fans of this happening, especially since the on-field tosses interrupted gameplay. But no one was more upset postgame than Houston skipper Dusty Baker, who connected these jeers to a moral decline in this country, even going as far to say as the team atoned for their sins -- though many would argue that never actually happened.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

9. Likes:

M2 (04-09-2021)

But no one was more upset postgame than Houston skipper Dusty Baker, who connected these jeers to a moral decline in this country, even going as far to say as the team atoned for their sins -- though many would argue that never actually happened.
    Dusty's going to Dusty. For good or bad he makes it about "us vs. them."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Dusty's going to Dusty. For good or bad he makes it about "us vs. them."
    That was Dusty's strength, getting the team to come together, and all in all he's damn good at it.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-09-2021)

I get that Dusty is protecting his guys and that’s fine. But the Astros have a long way to go before anyone can say they atoned.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

goreds2 (04-09-2021),Ron Madden (04-09-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Astros' Carlos Correa, Jose Altuve to skip All-Star Game

Astros stars Jose Altuve and Carlos Correa announced Thursday that they have pulled out of the 2021 MLB All-Star Game scheduled to be played Tuesday at Coors Field.

Altuve and Correa, along with teammates Michael Brantley and Ryan Pressly, were selected as reserves for the exhibition game.

Altuve said he was declining the All-Star invite because he wanted to rest a nagging left leg injury, while Correa said he wants to stay home with his wife, Daniella, who is pregnant with the couple’s first child.
    Unfounded speculation from Twitter (but I repeat myself) is that Altuve and Correa are skipping because of the stolen signs scandal, and they don't want to be confronted with it or booed for it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Drellich: Rob Manfred second-guesses giving Astros players immunity in cheating scandal

Nearly four years later, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred thinks that perhaps he should have tried to suspend Houston Astros players after all.

In a wide-ranging interview with TIME, the commissioner said that he would like a do-over on “some of the decisions surrounding the Houston situation,” referring to the Astros’ electronic sign-stealing scandal.

“I’m not sure that I would have approached it with giving players immunity,” Manfred said to a follow-up question from reporter Sean Gregory. “Once we gave players immunity, it puts you in a box as to what exactly you were going to do in terms of punishment. I might have gone about the investigative process without that grant of immunity and see where it takes us. Starting with, I’m not going to punish anybody, maybe not my best decision ever.”

This appears to be the first time the commissioner has publicly questioned his decision to let Astros players go without attempting any suspensions. Instead, he suspended the general manager (Jeff Luhnow), manager (A.J. Hinch) and bench coach (Alex Cora). The organization was also fined $5 million and lost four draft picks.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

17. Likes:

goreds2 (06-22-2023),Ron Madden (06-22-2023)

I'd like a do-over on hiring this guy.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-22-2023),WrongVerb (06-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd like a do-over on hiring this guy.
    When Bud Selig retired, I was very optimistic about Manfred coming in as new blood.

I would take ol' Allan back in a second.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

21. Likes:

Chip R (06-22-2023)

I'm pro-Manfred and the rule changes. Except shift bans but I'll take it for the other changes. I am disappointed that guys like Bregman and Altuve were not seriously punished.

Turn Off Ads?