Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros stolen signs scandal

Re: Astros stolen signs scandal

Statement from the Astros:

“Regarding the story posted by The Athletic earlier today, the Houston Astros organization has begun an investigation in cooperation with Major League Baseball. It would not be appropriate to comment further on this matter at this time.”

They aren’t denying it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Simply go the way of college football teams. Call pitches from the dugout with multiple guys giving multiple sets of signs.

Or flip the current model and give the pitcher a mic with an ear piece in the catchers helmet. Pitcher covers mouth with glove and tells catcher the pitch and location. Catcher shakes off pitcher instead of the other way around. That might actually speed up the pace of play.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Damn Fiers you putting yourself out there.

I tip my cap.

7. Likes:

DocRed (11-12-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Bauer's tweet was hilarious. Unfortunately many don't seem to understand the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Bauer's tweet was hilarious. Unfortunately many don't seem to understand the joke.
    So the Astros were using cameras to steal signs for all of Bauer’s starts as a Red too?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Stros are on a Cubs-esque run of terrible PR. I love it.

They are a reprehensible organization, that much has been made very clear as of late.

I hope this crashes down on them hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

12. Likes:

DocRed (11-12-2019),Edd Roush (11-13-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Maybe stealing signs is the answer for the Reds' offensive woes.

I can't see Manfred backing down from this with what seems like clear evidence from Jomboy. I'm guessing they will lose some draft picks or sumfin.

I had thought they had stopped this with the Apple Watch Red Sox situation a few years ago. If the Astros are getting this from their CF cameras ll transmitting to the TV by the dugout, just ban the TV from that area. However part of me says make the signals more complicated. I don't like to see technology being used to steal signs. Now if they were doing this during the World Series they did a poor job of it since they lost every home game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

REDREAD (11-13-2019),Revering4Blue (11-12-2019)

A few thoughts:

1) It’s cute that Luhnow is trying to play dumb on this. There is absolutely no way that a few players got together and thought this up then implemented that level of technology. Even if it was their idea, they 100% had help from a person or people from the baseball ops group and the idea that he wouldn’t have known about it is laughable. Just like it was laughable that Mozeliak supposedly didn’t know about The Cardinals’ hacking activities.

2) The irony is so deliciously thick that a baseball team with a toxic management culture who cheats to get ahead plays their home games in a park formerly known as “Enron Field”. They do, after all, seem to consider themselves the smartest guys in the room.

3) I’m a little surprised Fiers was willing to attach his name to this but good for him. They had to know that eventually a pitcher, likely a former pitcher, would get sick of watching their offense knock guys around with their added advantage and would be willing to bring the scandal to light.

In any event, couldn’t happen to a nice organization. After the Osuna/Taubman debacle I’m going to be actively rooting for them to fail in any way possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-13-2019),Kilgore_Trout (11-12-2019),OhioRiverBarge (11-13-2019),REDREAD (11-13-2019),TheBigLebowski (11-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I had thought they had stopped this with the Apple Watch Red Sox situation a few years ago. If the Astros are getting this from their CF cameras ll transmitting to the TV by the dugout, just ban the TV from that area. However part of me says make the signals more complicated. I don't like to see technology being used to steal signs. Now if they were doing this during the World Series they did a poor job of it since they lost every home game.
    If they're using technology, which seems to be backed up given some of the analysis by journalists and such breaking down video, it doesn't matter how complicated the signs are. It would be easy to figure out in a relatively short amount of time.

Fiers was clearly so worried about this it took him 2 years to recover. lol

All the implications are crazy. Can't trust any offensive numbers an Astros player has put up in recent years. Any interesting offensive home/road splits?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?